Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trackstar 120Amp Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Trackstar 120Amp Turbo

My son is using the Gen 1 Trackstar 120AMP Turbo ESC in his Stadium Truck. Running in blinky mode. He crashed the truck at a recent practice and the sensor wire came loose. I'm not sure how it happened, but that is not the point. He got the truck upright and tried to continue driving. He didn't realize the wire was loose and when he applied throttle the motor made a squealing noise, and wouldn't move. The motor got hot and started smoking. Not too hot to touch, but hotter than normal. I didn't realize this would happen if the sensors wire was disconnected. We pulled the battery leads and let everything cool down. The motor is a Tekin Gen2 8.5, so I hate to toss it. It smelled bad but we tested it on a motor analyzer and it's functioning normally, and not pulling excessing amps. All sensors functioning properly. I took it apart and can see where some plastic in the stator wiring at the back end of the motor seems distorted (melted), but nothing else seems damaged. We've run a full pack through it and it's behaving normally, not heating up and starting to smell better. Any thoughts on the safety of running this motor? Thanks for your input.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I ran a motor with the phases in the wrong position (switched A and C? I think). Got really hot after about 2 minutes just on the bench testing until i realized it. Fixed it and still pulls great after a year.

My only concern would be that the insulation burnt off - the only way I know how to tell this is if your motor/esc combo now runs excessively hotter now. This would be because of internal shorts lowering resistance and therefore pulling more current then it should - - sounds like you already addressed that concern on an analyzer so....my guess is its good .