R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   CL1 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/97700-cl1.html)

better 01-15-2006 06:37 AM

CL1

has anyone built a CL1 yet?

Brandon Powell 01-15-2006 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by better
has anyone built a CL1 yet?

Just got done with one. The car is well built. Just use some loctite on your set screws, motor screws , and other critical components. Diff's went together well and the shocks are awesome on this car.

Have you purchased one?

better 01-16-2006 02:48 PM

I'm thinking about getting one I liked my old storm pro, And i know the cl1 is 100% better. Right now I'm running a highly modded hb pro2 with(777parts).
I just like the combination of things the Cl1 offers like active caster, 44 tooth main gear, and gs uses a prefect mix of pastic not to hard or soft.

Brandon Powell 01-16-2006 06:33 PM

I think you would be satisfied. There are some test drives already coming out in magazines. The car is highly adjustable, no e-clips , and is definitly light years ahead of the old Storm.

triplejracer 01-16-2006 07:58 PM

cl1

i built mine a like it alot.the only thing that i am struggling with is steering.in the rc nitro test the the pros rides they rated that car with tons of off power and on power steering. havent found it yet.brandon do you have a good setup.any help i appreciate. thanks

runnin rc10 01-16-2006 09:33 PM

I got some help..buy whatever sparks buys! :sneaky: Just playin, good luck this weekend at CRCRC

Ranlod 01-17-2006 07:02 AM

Review?

In what edition of RC Nitro is the CL-1 reviewed?

A buddy and I are think of both buying this car. It looks like a tidy machine with some nice stock parts. I can't seem to find much about it in the various forums. How long has it been out in the US?

Brandon Powell 01-17-2006 02:59 PM

triplejracer--- I do not have a base set yet for tight tracks. I am running the car now working on one. I assume your track has tight turns and you like alot of steering. Some things to try,

Front caster angle- 2 mm Front/ 2 mm spacer in rear
Front roll center - Middle position
Front kickup - 0 deg bushig
Front toe out - 2.0 deg
Front camber - (-1.5 deg)

Make sure your not choked up on the front swaybar with your collars, if you really like aggressive steering pull the swaybar off. Also you can leave the sway on and move the ackerman position to the front hole.

I would not change several things at once if your only looking for a little more steering. These are some things to test with.

What diff set up are you runnig ?

Brandon Powell 01-17-2006 03:04 PM

Ranlod,

It is in the Dec. Issue of R/c Car I know. I think it went on the market around Sept. / Oct. of last year.

triplejracer 01-17-2006 07:16 PM

cl1 pro

brandon right now on the front i have

2 deg toe out each wheel
shocks 35 3rd hole in on tower outside on arm
middle hole on ackerman
roll center high
frnt kickup high bushing
swaybar flush

rear
shocks 35
upper inside on tower and upper inside on hub
shocks all the out on tower and all the way inside on arm
long wheelbase
2deg rear toe in
low bushing on antisquat
swaybar pulled back 3 mm

diffs are 5/7/5 this is the best it has felt.let me know what you think. thanks

Brandon Powell 01-17-2006 07:49 PM

Things I would change on your set-up,

Front ----

45 wt in shocks
Middle hole in roll center
1.5 deg camber
front hole on ackerman

Rear ---

hubs - place 2 mm spacer in front , 3 mm spacer in rear (shorten wheelbase)
antisquat-2 deg (middle hole)
3000wt in rear diff
Camber link 3 hole on upper arm position , 2 hole on hub(should lengthen your link)
2.5 deg camber

Try this and let me know.

SavageSYNTH25 01-17-2006 07:54 PM

Just if anyone is interested: I saw the CL1 at my local track recently, looked GREAT! The buggy had more steering than anything on the track, was fairly light, and carried a lot more corner speed than some of the other cars. One of the faster guys was driving it, and he placed 3rd in the A. He told me that the car was brand new, the brakes weren't fully broken in, and the motor was still tuned very rich.

Overall, it looks very solid though and if I could, I wouldn't hesitate before buying it.

Just my .02

triplejracer 01-17-2006 08:33 PM

i raced there at crcc in charlotte on the 7th and the car was ok just didnt have the steering that the sp2 that i was trying to chase.but the buggy is a nice and durable buggy.i just like a buggy with alot of steering.what will going to 45 wt in the front do and if i go to the frnt hole on the ackerman wont that take away steering. thanks

Ranlod 01-18-2006 04:20 AM

Orlando

Thanks for the info on the review Brandon.

I live in Asia but will be heading to LA and Orlando on business tomorrow. Can anyone steer me in the direction of a GS dealer in the Santa Monica,CA region and in Orlando,FL area?

I drive an XB8R at the moment but I am getting a little tired of the cost os spares, how are CL-1 spares priced in the US?

Thanks

Brandon Powell 01-18-2006 02:19 PM

triplejracer, You should not have a problem with steering around a SP2. It's very capable as stated above.

I recommended the forward hole on the ackerman(yes it will reduce turn in steering) but that adjustment with removing the front sway bar will add more steering without being rediculous. You are right, moving to the rear hole adds ackerman and will increase steering turn in. They are coming out with some tuning swaybars soon . :)

35 wt in the front sounds soft. I was worried about you bottoming off of jumps and nose diving into corners. Most are running 45w to 60 w .

Hope this helps.