R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2017, 06:01 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 52
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Adding a little boost in blinky setup

I usually run stock and mod 2wd buggy with the same car in our club races just to maximize stick time... I wouldn't mind a lil more power out of my buggy while racing mod but i dont have too much time between heats... Can i just add a little timing to my stock setup without changing end bell timing gearing etc?

We run on med/large ozite track.. I run an XB2 with a fantom rs, 48deg on the end bell and 32/69 gearing, esc is a xerun v3.1.... I don't check my motor temp anymore since running a fan but I'm guessing maybe 110 deg... Im still overshooting a lot of corners so not looking for boost but wouldn't mind some turbo for the straights.. can it be done safely? thanks
luihed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luihed View Post
I usually run stock and mod 2wd buggy with the same car in our club races just to maximize stick time... I wouldn't mind a lil more power out of my buggy while racing mod but i dont have too much time between heats... Can i just add a little timing to my stock setup without changing end bell timing gearing etc?

We run on med/large ozite track.. I run an XB2 with a fantom rs, 48deg on the end bell and 32/69 gearing, esc is a xerun v3.1.... I don't check my motor temp anymore since running a fan but I'm guessing maybe 110 deg... Im still overshooting a lot of corners so not looking for boost but wouldn't mind some turbo for the straights.. can it be done safely? thanks
Could be done safely, but probably not legally. Boost/turbo usually are not allowed in stock blinky class.
__________________
Bill
AE SC5M / Viper VTX10R & Maclan 10.5
Schumacher KD and KC / Maclan MMax Pro & MMR Team Edition 17.5
Schumacher KF2 / VTX 10R & MMR 17.5
Schumacher K2 / MMax Pro & MMR Team Edition 13.5 /// Airtronics MT-4
Riverbluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Azzkikin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 178
Default

If you are running blinky on the ESC, soon as you add boost or turbo, you are no longer blinky. If you are using the same 17.5 in stock as you are in your mod class, it is easy to load each program before each race. Boosted and Blinky. I would try practicing with a boosted setting first to see how the temps are.
__________________
Team Associated - Axial - Reedy - LRP - SMC - Hobbywing - JConcepts - Proline
Azzkikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:57 AM   #4
Tech Champion
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,846
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

I've pondered this too, for my 13.5 4wd buggy. It'd be nice to be able switch ESC modes and maybe the pinion and jump into modified without getting "in the way". I live too far from my track to practice and test so it'd have to be a plug & play solution for me.

You'll definitely want to drop a few teeth on your pinion gear. Just adding timing to a 17.5 blinky setup will almost certainly burn up your motor.
__________________
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:14 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Underground, Ohio
Posts: 4,305
Default

Got to reduce end bell timing to get the full effect.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #6
Tech Master
 
wittyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 1,888
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
I've pondered this too, for my 13.5 4wd buggy. It'd be nice to be able switch ESC modes and maybe the pinion and jump into modified without getting "in the way". I live too far from my track to practice and test so it'd have to be a plug & play solution for me.

You'll definitely want to drop a few teeth on your pinion gear. Just adding timing to a 17.5 blinky setup will almost certainly burn up your motor.

I have never run 17.5 , but I have done just what you describe in 13.5 wheeler. Our track didn't need a lot of end bell timing , so I left it at about 20* with a pinion on it about 2 teeth smaller than optimal for binky. It was on pace in 13.5 , not optimal . When I wanted to , I would add another 10 to 15 Dg of boost and the car was noticeably sportier. It was not as fast as the top 3 or 4 cars by any means , but neither is my talent. Doing this made me 3 or 4 laps better than I was with a 6.5 because of the better control I had. The boost was about 2 laps better than binky iirc because you could actually do the doubles but We haven't run the 13.5 thing in a long time. IF you're one of the fast guys , boosting the 13.5 may not be enough for you . If you're a mid pack guy learning as you go , try it .
__________________
Josh W.

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:45 AM   #7
Tech Champion
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,846
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
I have never run 17.5 , but I have done just what you describe in 13.5 wheeler. Our track didn't need a lot of end bell timing , so I left it at about 20* with a pinion on it about 2 teeth smaller than optimal for binky. It was on pace in 13.5 , not optimal . When I wanted to , I would add another 10 to 15 Dg of boost and the car was noticeably sportier. It was not as fast as the top 3 or 4 cars by any means , but neither is my talent. Doing this made me 3 or 4 laps better than I was with a 6.5 because of the better control I had. The boost was about 2 laps better than binky iirc because you could actually do the doubles but We haven't run the 13.5 thing in a long time. IF you're one of the fast guys , boosting the 13.5 may not be enough for you . If you're a mid pack guy learning as you go , try it .
Thanks for that insight. This is kind of what I envisioned, less endbell timing, perhaps compensated for with a little bit more gear, then a timing profile that worked with this timing and a smaller pinion to work best with the timing/boost.

Even so, at my track there's almost never 4wd modified anymore, we're all running 13.5 blinky because it's super competitive and easier on tires.
__________________
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:18 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 52
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for all the inputs, forgot to mention im running a 17.5 motor. Doesnt look like its gonna work out so Ill just stick to stock setup in mod...
luihed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 370
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

I run my 17.5 car in mod as well. If you hold your lines, stay fast and don't crash. good things happen. I think it forces you to be a better driver, knowing you are outgunned from the start.
greener74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:17 PM   #10
B44
Tech Master
 
B44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,614
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I run a tekin an add 15degrees for mode no boost.
B44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:27 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
RC*PHREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,424
Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luihed View Post
Thanks for all the inputs, forgot to mention im running a 17.5 motor. Doesnt look like its gonna work out so Ill just stick to stock setup in mod...
not true. i did this last week club racing. i run a B6 with 28/72 gearing. here is my setup for blinky:

motor: actinium V2, 40 degrees endbell timing
esc: hobbywing stock spec 3.1 in blinky mode
motor temp after racing: 95 degrees

here is what i ran in mod:

motor: actinium V2, 20 degrees endbell timing
esc: same esc in mod mode: 15 degrees boost, 5 degrees turbo
motor temp after racing: 110 degrees

i had a blast. the setup in mod had noticeably more power (with the temps i got, i could have added more boost). my only issue was that there were only 5 heats that night. i wasn't able to do the things i wanted in between races so i wasn't able to wash/sauce my tires between heats so for the mains, i didn't end up switching and just used blinky setup for both mains. if there are 8+ heats, i would do this again in a heartbeat.
RC*PHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:21 AM   #12
Tech Master
 
Phillip F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 1,176
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luihed View Post
I usually run stock and mod 2wd buggy with the same car in our club races just to maximize stick time... I wouldn't mind a lil more power out of my buggy while racing mod but i dont have too much time between heats... Can i just add a little timing to my stock setup without changing end bell timing gearing etc?

We run on med/large ozite track.. I run an XB2 with a fantom rs, 48deg on the end bell and 32/69 gearing, esc is a xerun v3.1.... I don't check my motor temp anymore since running a fan but I'm guessing maybe 110 deg... Im still overshooting a lot of corners so not looking for boost but wouldn't mind some turbo for the straights.. can it be done safely? thanks

EASY... (I have the same ESC )

You don't have to change your gearing if it's perfect right now for blinky.

change ESC profile mode from zero timing (mode 2) to Mode 7 Stock 17.5 ... it will give you more speed.... if it's too much . set it at Mode 8 Buggy ... it has power and torque in between mode 2 and mode 7.

If you want more speed than Mode 7... go to Mode 6 profile Stock 13.5

NOTE: monitor your motor and esc temp.

I've been running these modes and it works.
Phillip F is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Speed Passion Thread memix Electric On-Road 13328 Today 04:09 PM
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD COBRARACING Radio and Electronics 11944 Yesterday 03:33 PM
Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC Paul L Electric On-Road 2761 01-06-2017 08:46 PM
RC10B4.1 FT/WC Wildcat1971 Electric Off-Road 28709 01-18-2015 06:27 AM
To Blink and Wink? billwilliams217 Kansas/Missouri Racing 81 02-01-2013 10:13 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:22 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net