R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default 2WD Fun in the Dirt: 1/10 or 1/8 Scale? Help me narrow the choices.

I have driven only 4X4 cars and trucks for a couple of years. I don't race. I drive totally for fun on packed dirt and love hitting big jumps! Now I want to add a 2WD brushless rig to my collection. It can be a buggy, truggy, SCT or desert truck. I have chosen to avoid looking at monster trucks due to their higher center of gravity.

Of the (14) cars that I currently own, my 1/8 scale 4X4 rigs are generally much more durable than my 1/10 scale 4X4 rigs. Does that same theme carry over to 2WD rigs? I have noticed that there far fewer 1/8 scale 2WD rigs then 1/10 scale 2WD rigs. I don't know if that has any significance.

I'm hoping you can help me narrow down my choices. I have a price point of $350 or less for a brushless ARR or RTR (RTR is overkill because I don't need batteries, a charger or radio equipment). That puts all the kits out of my price range unless I buy a used kit already assembled with electronics.

Following this paragraph is a list of current 2WD brushless rigs that I am aware of. Any of them would be fun, but fun can be reduced by constant repair. Therefore, I want your help to narrow down my choices based on: durability, ease of maintenance, good parts availability and great value!

How about suggesting what you think are the top 3?

ARRMA 1/8 Raider XL BLX, $250
ARRMA 1/10 Granite BLX, $250
ARRMA 1/10 Fury BLX, $260

Associated 1/10 RC10B, $250
Associated 1/10 SC10B4.2, $300
Associated 1/10 RC10T4.3, $260
Associated 1/10 SC10 2WD, $300

ECX Ruckus 1/10 2wd MT BL, $280
ECX Torment 1/10 2wd SCT BL, $280

HPI Racing 1/10 Blitz Flux, $300
HPI Racing 1/10 E-Firestorm Flux, $320

Kyosho 1/10 EZ Sand Master, $300 (It's not brushless)
Kyosho 1/10 Ultima SC6, $350

Losi XXX-SCT 1/10 2WD SC, $350 (non-metric hdwr)

Serpent Spyder 1/10 SRX-2 MM, $330

Traxxas 1/10 Rustler VXL, $330
Traxxas 1/10 Slash VXL, $360

Thank you for taking the time to look at this and provide feedback.

That should TOTALLY work! I saw a guy do it on Youtube!

Last edited by MailManX; 01-30-2017 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Removed Kyosho Sand Master - no brushless
MailManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailManX View Post
I have driven only 4X4 cars and trucks for a couple of years. I don't race. I drive totally for fun on packed dirt and love hitting big jumps! Now I want to add a 2WD brushless rig to my collection. It can be a buggy, truggy, SCT or desert truck. I have chosen to avoid looking at monster trucks due to their higher center of gravity.

Of the (14) cars that I currently own, my 1/8 scale 4X4 rigs are generally much more durable than my 1/10 scale 4X4 rigs. Does that same theme carry over to 2WD rigs? I have noticed that there far fewer 1/8 scale 2WD rigs then 1/10 scale 2WD rigs. I don't know if that has any significance.

I'm hoping you can help me narrow down my choices. I have a price point of $350 or less for a brushless ARR or RTR (RTR is overkill because I don't need batteries, a charger or radio equipment). That puts all the kits out of my price range unless I buy a used kit already assembled with electronics.

Following this paragraph is a list of current 2WD brushless rigs that I am aware of. Any of them would be fun, but fun can be reduced by constant repair. Therefore, I want your help to narrow down my choices based on: durability, ease of maintenance, good parts availability and great value!

How about suggesting what you think are the top 3?

ARRMA 1/8 Raider XL BLX, $250
ARRMA 1/10 Granite BLX, $250
ARRMA 1/10 Fury BLX, $260

Associated 1/10 RC10B, $250
Associated 1/10 SC10B4.2, $300
Associated 1/10 RC10T4.3, $260
Associated 1/10 SC10 2WD, $300

ECX Ruckus 1/10 2wd MT BL, $280
ECX Torment 1/10 2wd SCT BL, $280

HPI Racing 1/10 Blitz Flux, $300
HPI Racing 1/10 E-Firestorm Flux, $320

Kyosho 1/10 EZ Sand Master, $300
Kyosho 1/10 Ultima SC6, $350

Losi XXX-SCT 1/10 2WD SC, $350 (non-metric hdwr)

Serpent Spyder 1/10 SRX-2 MM, $330

Traxxas 1/10 Rustler VXL, $330
Traxxas 1/10 Slash VXL, $360

Thank you for taking the time to look at this and provide feedback.
Without a doubt, if you want a fun 1/10 2wd basher, the HPI Blitz is an amazing truck. So many upgrades to tinker with and the stock setup is both easy to maintain and very durable. You can race it, bash it, build it and bash it again. That was actually my first true basher that I turned into a decently competitive racing truck.

And truly the only thing I saw as a necessary upgrade at some point are the shocks. Just slap a full Metal set in and keep driving otherwise everything else can be kept stock. Heck I even still have the stock 12mm hexes after three years lol. I haven't even needed a new chassis either. And the drive train is brushless ready. Throw any system in there and haul some a$$ without worrying you're gonna strip a gear or bend a drive shaft.
EbbTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not familiar with everything on that list,but I'll throw a second vote for the Blitz. And a big NO for anything Traxxas.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADWright View Post
And a big NO for anything Traxxas.
Now that, there, is FUNNY!! I have a couple Traxxas rigs. I like them and they are NOW reliable, but only after they have become some of the most expensive rigs I own due to installing so many aftermarket parts.

So currently, it's 2-votes for the HPI Blitz! Thanks! That wasn't even on my radar before today. I'll go read some reviews and watch some video.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Old 01-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would stay away from those ECX options. My son has the Ruckus and our neighbor the Torment. There is no adjustment on the camber links, steering geometry sucks, etc.

Now I would never buy a Traxxas because I race. But... if you're willing to spend the money, the Slash can be a good option. The steering geometry isn't bad, you have adjustment where you need it, there are tons of aftermarket parts available, etc. no matter what, if you're not going monster truck, then I would absolutely go with short course for bashing.

My best recommendation though would be to buy a TLR 22sct 2.0 for $199, pick your electronics, and assemble it yourself! You could even snag a roller pretty cheap right now. Look for the rear motor configuration if you buy used.
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
I would stay away from those ECX options. My son has the Ruckus and our neighbor the Torment. There is no adjustment on the camber links, steering geometry sucks, etc.

My best recommendation though would be to buy a TLR 22sct 2.0 for $199, pick your electronics, and assemble it yourself! You could even snag a roller pretty cheap right now. Look for the rear motor configuration if you buy used.
I suspected that was the case with ECX. I added them to the list just to cover the bases. One thing that bothers me about Losi, although it's a minor issue rather than a deal-breaker, is the SAE Hardware. Everything else I own is metric.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
I suspected that was the case with ECX. I added them to the list just to cover the bases. One thing that bothers me about Losi, although it's a minor issue rather than a deal-breaker, is the SAE Hardware. Everything else I own is metric.
The 22 series is metric. I'm talking about TLR, not the Losi RTR.
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
Tech Adept

1/8 scale or go home lol.

of the 1/10 scales

1. ultima sc6

2 serpent spyder mm

3.rc10b6

If your in sandiego you probably have some high traction clay tracks to run on .I run my rc10b6 on an indoor carpet track however I would not waste my time on anything 2wd up here in idaho as our tracks are way to loose..
Old 01-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
The 22 series is metric. I'm talking about TLR, not the Losi RTR.
I did not know that. Excellent info.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:43 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetburner View Post
1/8 scale or go home lol.

of the 1/10 scales

1. ultima sc6

2 serpent spyder mm

3.rc10b6

If your in sandiego you probably have some high traction clay tracks to run on .I run my rc10b6 on an indoor carpet track however I would not waste my time on anything 2wd up here in idaho as our tracks are way to loose..
Thanks! I'd love a good 1/8 scale 2WD RC. Am I overlooking any 1/8 scale 2WD RC's? The only one I've found so far is the ARRMA Raider XL BLX. I think it looks great, but I'm not sure about its durability.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #11
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 234 (100%+)

If you can find one used, after seeing a buddy have a blast with his, the Kyosho scorpion XXL would get my attention. Its a big vehicle, 1/7 scale and uses truggy rear tires. He had his setup with some 1/8 truggy paddles and had a blast running it through snow, etc.

Its out of your price range new, however, used, could be a nice option.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:42 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Horizon Hobbies owns a bunch of brands, including ECX (being their entry level brand) Losi and TLR.

Within your 14 cars you have already, there has got to be a 4x4 with a center slipper pad diff that you can lock out and pull the front drive shaft. It'll give you a good idea on if you really want a 2wd, coming from 4wd.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
If you can find one used, after seeing a buddy have a blast with his, the Kyosho scorpion XXL would get my attention. Its a big vehicle, 1/7 scale and uses truggy rear tires. He had his setup with some 1/8 truggy paddles and had a blast running it through snow, etc.

Its out of your price range new, however, used, could be a nice option.
Thanks! I'll check that out.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzkikin View Post
Horizon Hobbies owns a bunch of brands, including ECX (being their entry level brand) Losi and TLR.

Within your 14 cars you have already, there has got to be a 4x4 with a center slipper pad diff that you can lock out and pull the front drive shaft. It'll give you a good idea on if you really want a 2wd, coming from 4wd.
Funny you say that because it's pretty much exactly how I accidentally got intrigued with 2WD. I was at the beach with my grandson and a few of our 4x4 rigs. While my grandson was driving one, he suddenly said, "Hey, something's wrong with this car!" It had lost transfer of power to the front wheels. I played around with it to make sure that driving it more would not hurt it more. Then I gave it a quick test-drive and had a blast! It was much more of a challenge to drive than my 4x4 rigs, but that added a new level of fun! With a little careful throttle-control, it could impressively drift through a long corner. After my grandson saw that, he took over again and, knowing what to expect this time, he had a blast.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Funny you say that because it's pretty much exactly how I accidentally got intrigued with 2WD. I was at the beach with my grandson and a few of our 4x4 rigs. While my grandson was driving one, he suddenly said, "Hey, something's wrong with this car!" It had lost transfer of power to the front wheels. I played around with it to make sure that driving it more would not hurt it more. Then I gave it a quick test-drive and had a blast! It was much more of a challenge to drive than my 4x4 rigs, but that added a new level of fun! With a little careful throttle-control, it could impressively drift through a long corner. After my grandson saw that, he took over again and, knowing what to expect this time, he had a blast.
Well I still think that if you're really just having fun in the sun with your trucks that it'd be best to get the Blitz or the Kyosho that Cain suggested. The other cars from TLR and Team associated are more racers and will need both more maintenance and will tend to break a little easier. Plus some of them run Ball differentials which will not be very good when running in really loose dirt/sand.
EbbTide is offline   Reply With Quote