R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Completely new to RC builds and would like some help

Hey guys, I just got a 1/16 Exceed Magnet RC Truck and thought it would be pretty good for beginner basic learning about RC's, but I can't seem to find a whole lot of info about it. I was thinking about upgrading the battery for longer uses and from what I understand maybe even more power? Also if I was to upgrade the motor, what would I be looking for? (It's an off-road RC by the way) Any help would be much appreciated fellas. Thanks!
Mcfoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

I've never really heard of that manufacturer.

I'll assume the battery is a Nimh Battery, then you'll want to upgrade to a LIPO. But be careful you need to check if the ESC can handle a LIPO.

I probably wouldnt spend to much money upgrading it, you're better of getting a new RC like a Losi or Team Associated.
Cpan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Googled that truck and I'd say the best thing you're gonna learn from it is..... how everything goes together after you tear it apart. Don't spend any $$ on trying to upgrade it. Get some tools (hex drivers and such) and see if you like rebuilding it... if that is tedious and in any way an issue.... then run away now...
RC10-B64D
AuperD rwd drift.
Thrifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would drive it for a while and get used to what it does. Maybe make yourself a small track to practice on and put some laps in. Get to know how your vehicle works by driving it before anything else.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpan80 View Post
I've never really heard of that manufacturer.

I'll assume the battery is a Nimh Battery, then you'll want to upgrade to a LIPO. But be careful you need to check if the ESC can handle a LIPO.

I probably wouldnt spend to much money upgrading it, you're better of getting a new RC like a Losi or Team Associated.
It's a really nice truck, and everything is replaceable just like a more expensive one, I just don't want to sink 2-300 dollars in a brand new one right now. I'd rather just upgrade the battery and motor if I could for now. And the ESC is switchable from Nimh to LiPo.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrifty View Post
Googled that truck and I'd say the best thing you're gonna learn from it is..... how everything goes together after you tear it apart. Don't spend any $$ on trying to upgrade it. Get some tools (hex drivers and such) and see if you like rebuilding it... if that is tedious and in any way an issue.... then run away now...
Yea taken everything apart then rebuilding it will really help in finding out if u like tha hobby or not...I've been helping a friend work in his for years now...Got myself a Ofna hyper 10tt took everything apart rebuilt tha diffs took a day or so but it was fun 👍👍👍
CaliBayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBayWolf View Post
Yea taken everything apart then rebuilding it will really help in finding out if u like tha hobby or not...I've been helping a friend work in his for years now...Got myself a Ofna hyper 10tt took everything apart rebuilt tha diffs took a day or so but it was fun 👍👍👍
Oh taking things apart is definitely my thing, lol. I'm a car/PC building junk so I love to build and rebuild things. I've already done a couple things like making it 2wd instead of 4wd.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:08 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

Ontop of that fellas, the battery for it doesn't last but 10-15 minutes. It's a used truck, so I figured if I was buying a new battery for it anyways, what would I use to give it a good kick and worth my money?
Old 01-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
Tech Regular

If you're getting that much run time, you're doing good. Just adding a battery with more capacity won't give your RC "a good kick". You'll need more voltage or more powerful motor.
rustyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:02 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcfoo7 View Post
It's a really nice truck, and everything is replaceable just like a more expensive one, I just don't want to sink 2-300 dollars in a brand new one right now. I'd rather just upgrade the battery and motor if I could for now. And the ESC is switchable from Nimh to LiPo.
From the look of it, you'll need to get a 380 can sized motor. If you're looking for something cheap go to hobbyking.com

They got plenty of motor plus motor / esc combo's for 1/16 cars. Also they'll sell little 2s Lipos which should fit this truck. Make sure you look at the dimension to see if it will fit.
Cpan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpan80 View Post
From the look of it, you'll need to get a 380 can sized motor. If you're looking for something cheap go to hobbyking.com

They got plenty of motor plus motor / esc combo's for 1/16 cars. Also they'll sell little 2s Lipos which should fit this truck. Make sure you look at the dimension to see if it will fit.
Awesome. Thank you so much.