R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-24-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default First R/C Buggy; Xray XB4 '17 build

What's going on guys!

First off, let me start with the fact that I only dived into R/C cars a month ago. I have always wanted to get into the hobby since 1. I'm a big DIY'er and 2. It's cheaper than my other hobbies.

With that being said, last month I got myself a Traxxas Slash 2WD VXL. Bought it as my "throw-away" truck, or better known as my basher. I future proofed it with RPM A-arms, aluminum big bore shocks, aluminum steering blocks, aluminum caster blocks, and aluminum rear hub carrier. I also swapped everything over to an LCG chassis and run 3s lipo's; it is fast and fun!

I'm a big believer of you get what you pay for so today while at my LHS, I bought an Xray XB4 2017 kit. I had already read about it and heard nothing but good things so I decided why not? I also purchased an 11.5T Actinium V2 brushless motor since it was recommended if I intend to race at their indoor track.

They have an indoor track there in which I plan on learning. The LHS is very friendly and I figured if I learn anything, it'll be from them and others that race their RC there.

I do have a question as to what kind of speed controller, receiver, and all else I need. I'll be running my RC at the norcalhobbies indoor track (can't post link due to my lack of post count).
kwikvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Well first, hopefully we'll get to race against each other I'm hoping to get down there for a race soon and I just got a 4wd 1/10 buggy myself.

As for a speed controller, if you don't mind spending the extra cash, the Maclan Mmax is simply amazing and amazingly small. Otherwise there are other options like team powers xps pro, or SMC's 120a esc. Great price for performance and can use program cards for easy changes.

My choice of transmitter and receiver is Sanwa/Airtronics. Their entry level transmitter and receiver combo is only $100 and has 10 model memory for multiple vehicles.it's not a bad piece of kit for the price. The next step up would be the mt-44 which is costly but it adds more adjustments for comfort and lower latency for extra speed.
EbbTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
Well first, hopefully we'll get to race against each other I'm hoping to get down there for a race soon and I just got a 4wd 1/10 buggy myself.

As for a speed controller, if you don't mind spending the extra cash, the Maclan Mmax is simply amazing and amazingly small. Otherwise there are other options like team powers xps pro, or SMC's 120a esc. Great price for performance and can use program cards for easy changes.

My choice of transmitter and receiver is Sanwa/Airtronics. Their entry level transmitter and receiver combo is only $100 and has 10 model memory for multiple vehicles.it's not a bad piece of kit for the price. The next step up would be the mt-44 which is costly but it adds more adjustments for comfort and lower latency for extra speed.
That's awesome!

When that happens, I'll be running beginner/rookie as I've never raced an RC on a track before.

I was recommended Futaba over a Sanwa, but couldn't remember why.

Seeing as how there are many different transmitters and receivers, I'm not sure what's compatible with what and don't want to buy the wrong item. For instance, is the motor I purchased simply compatible with any other speed controller? I don't plan on owning more than these 2 RC's as I have too much room taken by other things (guns, car parts, etc).
Old 01-26-2017, 11:14 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Follow up question to this thread (getting overwhelmed when I read about ESC's), any reason to NOT go with a Futaba transmitter?

I'm slowly building my XBR but stopped because I need CA glue. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out what to look for and what to stay away from.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:04 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikvette View Post
Follow up question to this thread (getting overwhelmed when I read about ESC's), any reason to NOT go with a Futaba transmitter?

I'm slowly building my XBR but stopped because I need CA glue. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out what to look for and what to stay away from.
As far as transmitters go, there is no real reason to get futaba over sanwa. They are two of the top contenders for radios and will both make you happy in the end. It really comes down to personal preference. The thing I like about Sanwa is their compatibility with their ESC/receiver units which combine both esc and receiver. Makes for a simpler and cleaner interior. But I definitely wouldn't say one is better than the other. It simply wouldn't be true lol.

As for motor compatibility, any brushless motor should work on any brushless esc, so long as the esc is rated to handle the motor turn. For instance, some ESC's can only handle up to 6.5 turn motors. Meaning 6 turn, 5.5 turn, 5 turn, 4.5 turn etc. would be too much. Lower turn = higher KV = more power draw.

Last edited by EbbTide; 01-27-2017 at 02:27 AM.
EbbTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:15 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

So, I had some time to put together my buggy until I ran across a hiccup. It seems that one of my servo saver pivot shafts (part number #362550), wasn't threaded at one end during manufacture. This sucks because now I have to either contact Xray or find one (any leads?) to finish up my car.

So far I've got; Futaba 3PV transmitter with R304SB receiver, Team Powers Actinium V2 brushless sensored motor (13.5T), HobbyWing Xerun 120A ESC, and Savox digital servo (SC-1258TG).

Now I need to figure out the correct pinion gear and set screw which has me totally confused. Not sure how to figure out the appropriate setup for my motor (as to prevent overheating, etc).
Old 02-01-2017, 12:42 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
So, I had some time to put together my buggy until I ran across a hiccup. It seems that one of my servo saver pivot shafts (part number #362550), wasn't threaded at one end during manufacture. This sucks because now I have to either contact Xray or find one (any leads?) to finish up my car.

So far I've got; Futaba 3PV transmitter with R304SB receiver, Team Powers Actinium V2 brushless sensored motor (13.5T), HobbyWing Xerun 120A ESC, and Savox digital servo (SC-1258TG).

Now I need to figure out the correct pinion gear and set screw which has me totally confused. Not sure how to figure out the appropriate setup for my motor (as to prevent overheating, etc).
spur/pinion gear combo is usually in your manual. Xray would have a suggested gear combo according to your 13.5T motor. You can start from there and then change your pinion according to your track (straight) while monitoring your motor temp. The Team Powers doesn't have a temp sensor ( I have one 17.5T) ...so your Hobbywing esc (I have one too) cannot monitor it. So you need to get one of those temp guns. A Fan would also help to lower your motor temp.

BTW... set screws are included when your order pinion gears.

temp gun
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Inf...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

motor fan
https://www.amainhobbies.com/yeah-ra...a-0180/p491060
Phillip F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip F View Post
spur/pinion gear combo is usually in your manual. Xray would have a suggested gear combo according to your 13.5T motor. You can start from there and then change your pinion according to your track (straight) while monitoring your motor temp. The Team Powers doesn't have a temp sensor ( I have one 17.5T) ...so your Hobbywing esc (I have one too) cannot monitor it. So you need to get one of those temp guns. A Fan would also help to lower your motor temp.

BTW... set screws are included when your order pinion gears.

temp gun

motor fan
Unfortunately, nowhere in the manual nor online can I find a suggestion for my motor.

I was trying to figure out what pinion gear to go with utilizing what I do know so far;

Spur gear is 81T
Internal transmission is 2.5

I figure I should go with a 19T pinion for a final drive ratio between 10-11 as recommended online? Not sure if this is correct for the XB4 so just confirming.

I'll go ahead and order the fan you suggested as well.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:18 PM   #9
Tech Regular

A 19t pinion on a 13.5 seems a bit small to me, I have zero experience with 13.5s, but I seem to remember being on a 21t for a 6.5, when I ran an XB4.

Can the hobby shop recommend a gear ratio for their track?
X-Factory UK / Carisma Racing/ Corally/ Vampire Racing /TEKIN/ AVID/ JConcepts / Lunsford / Exotek Racing / Hiro Seiko / RDRP / GRP Tyres/ Tuning Haus/ DMSPARTZ / McKune/ RCS Graphic Workz / WTF / DMS Racing / Model Junction
John Myall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

We'll see how the 21T runs; just got her all put together and plan on running it tomorrow for the first time.

I'm glad how things came out considering it's the first time I put a kit together, programmed an ESC and transmitter, painted a body, etc. and only owned one other RC for about a month and a half now.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

Old 02-09-2017, 04:49 AM   #12
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
boom! gorgeous! enjoy the xb4, i love mine!
simmyjellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:15 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

She looks good, I like the stock bodys. My lap times have dropped quite a bit since getting the 16 car(2016 Christmas). The reliability is very nice and the ease of maintenance is very awesome. I love this buggy. Base clay set up has treated me good, rear end is a little too planted but very drivable.
racingnewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
We'll see how the 21T runs; just got her all put together and plan on running it tomorrow for the first time.

I'm glad how things came out considering it's the first time I put a kit together, programmed an ESC and transmitter, painted a body, etc. and only owned one other RC for about a month and a half now.
I would guess a 24 or 25 pinion is where you will end up.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

First time to the track today and I definitely learned a lot with both driving and customizing my transmitter.

Glad to receive help from the locals there, can't wait until next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_E View Post
I would guess a 24 or 25 pinion is where you will end up.
That was mentioned although 21 did well for me today. A few experienced drivers had no problem clearing the large double's; motor was only warm to the touch after 20+minutes driving.

On AMAIN ordering some extra parts; I broke an A-arm today...

I toyed with the exponential throttle, and liked how the car picked up speed (like a turbo). Unfortunately, I haven't set up braking (when I decelerate, the car rolls) and where I normally let off before the turn the car kept rolling forward and fast and flew into the wall