17.5 off road buggy questions >

17.5 off road buggy questions

17.5 off road buggy questions

Old 01-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default 17.5 off road buggy questions

I know it's probably been asked thousands of times before but my question is:

What are a few of the best ESC/motor combos for 17.5? Buggy will be B5M.
I really like the Trinity 24k but not sure short stator, 1s, 2s, etc, etc.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I Love my eco 17.5 from Amain hobbies, Killer motor, awesome price & I don't feel under powered at all. Also, I love my Hobbywing v2.1 120amp esc, I know its last yrs model but you can get them for $75 on ebay new, just upgrade the firmware for blinky mode, I suggest the program box for it($25) on the fly adjustments made easy
https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopowe...p-8000/p360110
Old 01-25-2017, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

The Maclan team edition 17.5 motor with the ultra torque rotor is a solid setup.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Depends, are you racing expert? That's where every little thing counts when everyone is basically running the same lap times.

I really like the orion r10.1 pro and the Trinity 24k motors right now. No on can beat me in a drag race down the straight and I have plenty of power coming out of turns, tons of torque.

My other buddy swears by his hobbywing ESC though and a schurspeed custom built motor. Batteries also figure in as well and most of the fast guys where I'm at are using orcas not orion or anything else. So many things you can do for stock buggy. Cutting weight on rotational mass etc etc..
Old 01-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EbbTide
The Maclan team edition 17.5 motor with the ultra torque rotor is a solid setup.
Is that the rotor that comes in the team edition?
Old 01-25-2017, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by LiL CeeZ
Depends, are you racing expert? That's where every little thing counts when everyone is basically running the same lap times.

I really like the orion r10.1 pro and the Trinity 24k motors right now. No on can beat me in a drag race down the straight and I have plenty of power coming out of turns, tons of torque.

My other buddy swears by his hobbywing ESC though and a schurspeed custom built motor. Batteries also figure in as well and most of the fast guys where I'm at are using orcas not orion or anything else. So many things you can do for stock buggy. Cutting weight on rotational mass etc etc..

Definitely not expert! But I don't mind spending to get the best even though that's splitting hairs at some point.
Which Trinity 17.5 24k would be the best option. Short, 1S?
Was thinking about SMCs newest short pack and possibly their newest ESC.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

money doesn't mean faster. Where I run a trinity sponsored guy hold fastest lap or 25.4, I ran a 25.7 with my $60 motor, $75 esc and $40 nanotech 100C batteries that I Love & have 3 of them. Im a racer on the budget but that doesn't mean you cant be competitive
Old 01-25-2017, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

For years my thing is to get the most possible out of my car with the least amount of money. Even back in the day I was buying radio shack stick packs. I would disassemble them, wire them up with new tabs and direct solder to my speed control. I'll share some time sheets then at the bottom I'll tell you what I'm running. By the way I'm Robert. The other guys run some high dollar stuff. Tekin, and Orion speed controls, Reedy motors, D4's, 24k's

The first time sheet is actually 2wd open mod. That's right. I run my 17.5 car in both 17.5 and mod. Its a Losi 22 3.0 4-gear, I run Turnigy Nanotech ultimate batteries, Trackstar V2 17.5 motor, $28 trackstar sportsman speed control, trackstar 1256 titanium gear servo, like $30. I have it geared at 70/35 and have the timing at like 40-45 on the motor. The other time sheet is 4wd mod. Look at my 2wd time compared to the 2nd place 4wd car.

What I would do in your situation. Get something like a hobbywing, just stock or a xr10, one of those green eco motors, they are good. and spend the rest on gears, tires and track time. I'm sure whatever way you decide to go will be fine. Just wanted to share some of my thoughts and experience.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Nanotech batteries for $38 bux they are amazing & every bit as good s my trinity packs, I have 4 of them
here is the link in case
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-approved.html
Old 01-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

<3 Nanotech
Old 01-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

I appreciate the feedback!
Old 01-25-2017, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Phillip F
Is that the rotor that comes in the team edition?
No. The ultra torque rotor is an optional part. The motor is a solid motor as is out of the box. If on a tight track, the UT rotor would be an upgrade to consider, but by no means required.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Tech Regular

I think more important things include, keeping your suspension free and clean, make sure all the pivot balls on the turnbuckles move freely. Make sure none of the arms or shock mounts stick. Make sure the steering is totally free. Learn how to enter and exit a corner without blowing past it. Learn jump rhythm, learn how to correctly set your drag brake, learn how to mount tires straight on the rims and balance them. All that little stuff makes a big difference. I will even remove all of the seals from the bearings in my transmission, except for the 3 that are exposed to the outside elements. The two outdrive bearings and the one the slipper shaft exits from.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'll echo what guys here are saying. I've been racing a long time and the guys that do the best are the ones putting in laps. They may not have the fastest hero lap, but they definitely are consistent lap after lap. I think it would be a good idea to find a decent used motor on here ( guys are selling motors all the time because they want the new motor of the month). Even buying a good used esc on here isn't a bad idea. Then spend more time at the track. Don't just put in mindless laps, pay attention to the fast guys attention and how they drive. And keep your car in good working order.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I also agree, setup & driving are still THE most important things, but I'll admit it can be fun to play with the new goodies from time to time. Having said that, I think if you want the newest in motors & don't mind spending the money, word is the new generation motors from Team Scream(The One), Team Powers(Actinium V2), Fantom(FR-1 V2), Motiv(M-Code 2) are worth trying. They use what's been referred to as a short thin stack, apparently further reduces internal resistance over a regular short stack. On Road racers are already swearing by them, & I have one myself(the Actinium V2, tried it in both my 1/12 scale pan car & now in my B5m Factory Lite), & so far I'm pretty impressed with it, feels strong even with a somewhat average amount of timing(45 degrees, it has room for considerably more, but I like what it's doing so far). Just a little food for thought....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.