R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-23-2017, 12:50 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default My story and my new car.

When I was 12 I got the new RC10T for christmas. I told my parents about a combo deal that included the truck, battery, radio, and charger that I saw in the back of radio control magazine. I think it was the issue where they reviewed/announced the truck. I'll never forget "Cowwabunga" because they painted the hood in a cow pattern. Anyways, I built the truck before new years and I was in RC. However, at 12 years old parts expensive and hobby shop 15 miles away in the city is not easy to get to. Years later I received the RC10T4 RTR. Which I then sold and traded in for a gas powered TMAXX. If I only knew that gas power requires an hour of work for 10 minutes of driving I don't think I would have ever gone down that path. Ran out of money and time and put it away for years. One day my cousin calls me and tells me he bought an RC10 truck (not sure which version but it was about 3.5 years ago. So I went out and bought an RC8.2E. Invested a bunch of money and now I'm buying the new RC8B3E. (I spend so much money on this sh*t). I ordered my new car but I don't have it yet as its on back order.

Anyways, I wanted to share what I have coming and what you guys think. If you have any advice or experience with any of the following let me know if you have any advice.

RC8B3E
Mamba Monster X ESC
Mamba Monster 2200 kv sensored
Futaba 3PM-X
Hitec 37954S HS-7954SH Anyone have this thing? Its hard trying to find the right servo over the internet with not much experience.

Well, thats my setup any tips for me would be appreciated. I'm not racing. Its just to bash around and have fun with. But I still like the idea of making it nice. I just have a few questions.

1. Should I try to be making it as lite as possible or is there a benefit in certain scenarios where weight is a benefit? I was thinking about getting titanium pillow balls and turn buckles. I already got carbon fiber shock towers.

2. Whats the best density of diff fluid should I be using for general bashing?
3. Whats the best shock fluid to be using for general bashing.

I want my car to be fun to drive in the street but also able to take off road.

Thanks for you help
jammo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
Tech Regular

I'd just build the kit to the manual's recommended specs, and go from there. What you got planned for the electronics is fine. Me personally, I like a tad bit more speed from a servo, but for bashing purposes, 0.12 sec @ 7.4v will be great. We all know you will have plenty of torque with that Hitec.

Strap in at least a 40C (or better) 4S pack, and go have a great time.
rustyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

.................................................. ................................. Band me I don't give a Fock.

His wish was granted
Dialed-RC Hobbies
TEN-SCTE 3.0/22SCT 3.0

Last edited by DRTMI; 01-23-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Keith B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yeah just build it to the kit spec and replace whatever breaks. Bashing is hard on cars, I don't dump money into my bashers. Don't make it light, get titanium turnbuckles if you have a big problem bending them. I race with steel and haven't bent one yet. no need to fiddle with it, just keep it clean and replace bent and broken parts as needed. As far as shock oil and diff fluid for "general bashing purposes" you don't even need any! That the beauty of bashing! but use what the kit suggests and you will be fine.
greener74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Kit build is usually a good starting point.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

My advice with the Mamba, is just keep an eye on the temps on the ESC and Motor.

Last thing you want is burning that thing out, theres alot of $$ there.

Also is the rotor a 5mm pole? Should be!
Cpan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes, castle 2200kv are 5mm poles. I have a mmx in my basher buggy. Never had it thermal with a 4s.
Zinergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I run 4 mamba monster 2200 kv set ups in rc8.2s and rc8t and no issues with thermal on 4,5 or 6s. Just have to get them appropriate. 5s seems to be the sweet spot for bashing. Plenty of power
racerkilla is offline   Reply With Quote