Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stripped out diff screws tlr scte 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Stripped out diff screws tlr scte 3.0

What's the deal with the diff screws? I never strip out screws. Yet these diff screws managed to strip almost instantly. While putting the final diff together I tighten up the last diff screw which of course strips. Spin an outdrive and notice that a gear pin came out while assembling so I need to open up the rear diff. But I cant. I have one screw that is beyond stripped and now I need a whole new rear diff. I am beyond pissed. This is a brand new kit. I have been a loyal tlr racer forever. I have all versions of the ten scte and never had this issue.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Been there done that. Rather then buying a whole new diff you could use a dremel and make a knotch so you can use a flat head screwdriver to get it out, use a screw extractor, or just drill the head off the screw then remove the remaining part of the screw with a pair of needle nose pliers. Next time building the diff, make sure to use a good set of drivers with sharp edges. Anything that has slightly worn edges will strip again and again. I switched to MIP drivers and haven't had a problem since. Goodluck
Old 01-22-2017, 02:32 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Replace those screws with hpi z449.