Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Mamba Monster X vs. X Extreme vs. Monster 2 >

Mamba Monster X vs. X Extreme vs. Monster 2

Mamba Monster X vs. X Extreme vs. Monster 2

Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EbbTide
The only downside I suppose is that the sensor ports are usually a little more sensitive to water. But I'm assuming Castle took the time to make them as tight as possible. Sensored gives you smooth power throughout the rpm range so it does help if you ever get the urge to throw the car on a track. Or if you've ever experienced low rpm cogging, it eliminates it entirely.
The sensor board is conformal coated to protect it from water, but the biggest problem with the sensors in the wet is the plug on the back of the motor can short out. If this happens the ESC will fall back into sensorless operation and drive that way until it starts getting clear signals from the sensors. Sensorless operation on 1/8th scale motors is significantly better than 1/10th scale 2 pole motors and the cogging effect is much less noticeable.

If you are planning on running a sensored motor in a lot of water, it might be a good idea to seal the wire into the motor with something like hot glue or liquid electrical tape to help keep the plug free of water.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jammo03
Awesome! Thank you! The only question now is; why in the hell would anyone want an unsensored version when you can get the sensored version for the same price?
We just released the sensored motors. We are in the process of transitioning to them and will be eliminating the sensorless motors from the combos soon. We still have stock of the old motors and will continue to try to sell them as long as we have stock.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by spawn_x
the regular mamba is proven.. sure some guys like their X, but dont you find it odd that there is a good amount of negative opinions on a new product in a short time that its been out? Unlike the regular mamba that is as bulletproof as an anvil..

I did uograde my firmware, but problem was still there.

Also, the sensor harness, I dont understand why there it exists in the first place, instead of just a slot for the sensor wire from the motor to attach to? Why have two different wires between the motor and esc?
You say proven, but I heard that our warranty claim rate is lower on the X than on the original Monster and Monster 2. I personally have driven one in an E-Revo, a prototype long wheelbase Savage(had a center diff in the transmission), a yeti xl, a Losi 22 with a 17.5T motor, and a Losi 5ive-T with a 2028 motor. I'm not familar with your 1550kv motor setup, but I have seen very little cogging issues on the Monster X even in absurd setups. When we shipped it originally we id have a fairly strict current limit in place. We thought it would be acceptable, but we were wrong. We completely removed the current limits from the original firmware in V1.77, but there was a bug in that version if you had a sensored motor and had the ESC set to reversed motor direction. That has been fixed in firmware V1.80. That's part of the reason I am on here, I'm not getting paid to post. I'm just trying to help people understand our products and get direct customer feedback of issues so we can fix them quicker.

I addressed the sensor harness in this thread:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...release-8.html
The TL;DR version: Reduces production failures, and takes up half as much room on the board.

Originally Posted by robert@castle
The decision to use the harness was for a few reasons. While our plug is slightly wider, the amount of space on the board that the standard sensor connect JST takes up is about twice as much because it has the housing and then has solder legs coming off the side that use nearly the same amount of board area as the housing. We don't have any products that use a vertical JST, but after some googling of other brands I found a picture of a Tekin RX8 board that shows the board space required by the normal vertical JST sensor port. http://s189.photobucket.com/user/sne...F5785.jpg.html

Also the use of the 2mm pin header reduces failures in our waterproofing procedure. The bottom of the housing isn't sealed and the epoxy likes to get everywhere.

The crossed wire is intentional to the design. We picked that pin-out because it prevents frying the sensor board in the motor if the harness is plugged into the ESC backwards. The normal JST is keyed so you can't plug it in backwards, so this was something we brought upon ourselves by going against the grain and using a harness like this. We also had to get the crimp JST housing made. No one made that end of the plug that was designed to be crimped onto wire.
I've been looking around the office for a controller to take a picture of, finally found a Max Pro I could open up. The JST connector is a sideways one in this, but it takes up nearly the same amount of board space as a vertical one. The pin header for the Mamba X/Monster X harness connector is the exact size of the harness that plugs onto it. So to my eye it looks like it takes up about 1/4-1/3 of the space.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

I went with the Mamba X 2200kv sensored combo. Primarily due to the fact that an actual castle rep is on here answering my questions, addressing the issues and supporting his brand. I like it.

The RC8B3E I ordered won't be coming in for at least another month so I'll have to wait until I get it built and the engine and ESC installed before I can report my experience.

I appreciate all the input from all.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nice, I have the MMX with the sensorless 2200kv as they didn't have the sensored motors when I bought mine. Plenty of power for a buggy.

Actually, are they even shipping the sensored motor setups yet? I know you have another month since you don't have the buggy yet but I'm not sure they are even shipping those yet because they are so new. I'm sure the castle guy can answer the question.

Also, buying directly from the manufacture is almost always more expensive no matter what the product is these days. I paid just under 200, like 193, for my MMX/2200kv motor shipped. Just took a google search for a coupon for one of the big hobby sites. I'm guessing the sensored version will be more expensive than the sensorless once they reach vendors.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I got my tracking number for my product from Fedex. Package should arrive on 1/25/17. It may be cheaper but sh*t is almost here. lol
Old 01-28-2022, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

Monster X vs Monster 2:
Monster X is able to run sensored motors, combo packs with our new sensored motors should start shipping out soon.
Monster X has a much stronger BEC
Monster X has AUX wire features that allow you to change a setting on the fly from your transmitter if you have a 3 channel radio.

Some people called it a downgrade initially because we had put some over current protection in it that was shutting down for people doing top speed runs. We have removed this limit from the newest versions of the firmware.

There is only one version of the Monster X. If you are seeing different names on the product, you might just be looking at different websites who call it something slightly different.
Dear robert@castle

Hello,
I am interested in building my first RC 1:10 speed run car. Thinking of using the Mamba Monster X and Castle 6900kv 1410 motor on 3s.

A few questions;
1. Is the Mamba Monster X sensored or do I need to purchase a seperate cable ?
2. Is there a separate programming card ?
3. Does the Mamba Monster X support 6S batteries ?
4. Does the Mamba Monster X have "Turbo" mode ?

Thank you !