R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Losi SCTE 3.0 vs. Tekno sct410.3

After a very long R/C hiatus I am in the market for a new toy. I got my 7 yo. son and I a pair of Slash 2x4 12t brushed Slashes for Christmas. It has been a blast taking him to the local indoor track. The slash has been tough and actually does quite well bone stock. I actually beat up on my buddy with his TLR 2.0 but it's too much for him to handle. As fun as the slash 2x4 is it is too slow. I Have a nice Transmitter already so I figured I would get a Slash Platinum. That thought didn't last long as I now have the itch to race bringing me to my question.TLR SCTE 3.0 or Tekno sct410.3 ? My track carries both and has parts for both. The track is an indoor high traction clay the currently has a few doubles but nothing huge. (the stock slash can just clear the double). I am leaning towards the Losi but the Shop owner said the Tekno is more durable and cheaper to fix if it does break. There isn't a lot out there comparing these to which is surprising but I read a few comments saying the Losi 3.0 is better on smaller indoor tracks... I plan on making a decision this week and am looking for advice/opinions.

Thanks!
Ghostchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tekno sct410.3 vs tlr 2.0

The 3.0 is just a little better than a 2.0 ....

Pick your poison , cant go wrong with either. Read the threads on them and see what problems you feel up to fixing to make either ideal for you . The Tekno will never be as smooth as the TLR truck , and the TLR will never be as rugged and the Tekno . Both are winners , both are very fast . The TLR has more room for electronics and an adjustable battery/ esc position the Tekno lacks. The Tekno has better steel. Cant go wrong really ... Go with whichever one they give you the best deal on .

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Is there a general consensus on either being better at a tighter indoor track?
Old 01-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostchili View Post
Is there a general consensus on either being better at a tighter indoor track?
Well you can setup both kits to work very well on tight tracks but I would say the Tekno has a little more steering which will help with hairpins
Old 01-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

I have both trucks....based on you stating that you are on a HIGH TRACTION indoor track I would run my losi 3.0 there over the tekno. The tekno can be challenging to get the ride height down with stiffer springs....this is not an issue with the losi truck. This may not seem like a big deal, but if you don't have a lot of experience with setups, I would lean towards the truck that easily can run lower ride heights with stiffer springs given your track conditions. I run on a tight indoor track and the losi 3.0 with stock setup has every bit as much steering as the tekno....so in my opinion, steering for both is great.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyster View Post
I have both trucks....based on you stating that you are on a HIGH TRACTION indoor track I would run my losi 3.0 there over the tekno. The tekno can be challenging to get the ride height down with stiffer springs....this is not an issue with the losi truck. This may not seem like a big deal, but if you don't have a lot of experience with setups, I would lean towards the truck that easily can run lower ride heights with stiffer springs given your track conditions. I run on a tight indoor track and the losi 3.0 with stock setup has every bit as much steering as the tekno....so in my opinion, steering for both is great.
Sounds good. Thanks
Old 01-19-2017, 08:20 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

is the durablility better on the Losi 3.0 over the truck it replaced? It sounds like then Tekno is bulletproof compared to the Losi.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Both are very durable. If your breaking sc trucks on a regular , your doing it wrong ... The Tekno I had broke stuff just as much as any other sc truck.

Shock shafts , eyelets , suspension block , bulkhead comes to mind .

The TLR I have done a arm , shock shafts , and the older outdrives wore pretty badly. The ones on my 3.0 seem pretty good.

The more "bulletproof" these things are , the more they drive like garbage trucks. I hated my d413 just for that reason...

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
Tech Regular

The tekno is a better truck all around. Far more durable, requires way less maintenance than a losi and easier to setup. You can get the ride height where you need it just not with the kit springs. Not a big deal. I don't see anything that the losi does as good or better than the tekno
4s losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #10
Tech Regular

My local track carries Losi parts but ZERO tekno parts.

So its all depends on which one you can get parts for.

If Tekno stuff is at your local hobby shop get it, if Losi parts are there get the Losi 4wd.
If Both of them are stocked just pick the one that suits you best!
Castle Creations( Since April 2016)
bmag5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:13 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Ghostchili, For the tekno - if you want stiffer springs for higher traction conditions, all tekno springs are 5 mm longer for any spring stiffer than black. Tough to get the ride height down for many folks with pink springs or stiffer if you read through the 410.3. Stiff springs and ride height are likely to be key components to your setup on a high traction surface.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have both truck too. In my personal experience for my driving style is the SCTE 3.0 is way more easier to drive than Tekno also SCTE 3.0 is lighter since i'm running indoor track only.
Advantage SCTE 3.0
Easy to drive
Easy to set up
Easy to clean
Great for tight indoor track
More space for electronics
ESC/ Battery location... Front/Rear ESC
3 angle motor i feel better to drive than 0 angle
Durable parts
Aluminum Shock caps with bleeder

Dis-advantage SCTE 3.0
Need Stiffer Spring, Stock too soft
Rear Bumper/ Broke twice
Aluminum Motor Mount/ I like the Tekno Split motor mount differential
Differential Black o-ring not good only 4 race leaking bad/Need to upgrade or read SCTE bulletproof diff. Build
Maintenance for differential too many parts (4 square spyder gear washer) /Rear Gear box bearing insert

Advantage SCT410.3
Great for out door track/blown track
Durable plastic parts better than Losi plastic
1/8 scale shocks
Motor center mount differential split
Maintenance easy to work on differential

Dis-advantage
Not easy to drive like SCTE 3.0/ Nose Dive
MOD battery back location to avoid nose dive
Too heavy/ I'm indoor guy racer
Drive pin easily worn out specially in front
Hard to get set-up
raved007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #13
Tech Regular

One thing about a topic like this is everybody's opinion will be different. Take the above post for example. I disagree with almost all points. In my opinion...the tekno is easier to drive and setup, much stronger, I have yet to wear out any drive line parts in two years of racing it.tekno is known for there turning ability. And I race all indoors. I've found that the tekno nose dive is more do to driver error. Once you learn to setup and drive it you can run it really hard. This truck requires very little to make it fast. Kit set up isn't to far off
4s losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just a thought....The Tekno uses metric screws and I believe the Losi uses imperial. Since your kids have Slashes which use metric the Tekno may be the better way to go.
SouthFloridaApp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:23 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Flip a coin. You'll be happy with either