Wiki Posts
Search

Racing with a Castle sensored 4 pole ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zinergy
I agree but if castle is going to get into the sensored motor market they need to sell a good ESC packaged with the 3800/4000/4300/4600/5300 sensored motor or they will have a tough time.
That's why they made the new Mamba X. If I hadn't found a great deal on a Maclan mmax esc, I would have waited for the Mamba X's to go in stock and I would have went that direction. And even though I've got all the motors I need, I'm still going to snag one of Castle's sensored motors to see what it can do. If it can handle my superlite with less heat I'd be a happy camper.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes, but they specifically state "Not for use in 4x4 SCT". I know companies put warnings that are conservative. But they need to have some alternative for 4x4 SCT guys wanting to run sensored motors in 2s config.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, but they specifically state "Not for use in 4x4 SCT". I know companies put warnings that are conservative. But they need to have some alternative for 4x4 SCT guys wanting to run sensored motors in 2s config.
I don't remember seeing that as a disclaimer on their website. They even state it can run in 1/8 cars under 9lbs. So I assumed it'd be decent even for a superlite
Old 01-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

From their website.

"With the included 1406 - 4600kv sensored motor, this combo is great for 2WD short course trucks on 2s LiPo and geared conservatively; 1/10th 2WD Stadium trucks and buggies on 2s for bashing and limited runs on 3s with conservative gearing and for 1/10th scale on-road cars for 2s and 3s use. NOT for use in 4WD short course trucks."

I think when they refer to 1/8th scale they are talking about the ESC only, not the ESC/motor combo.

It really makes no sense. The ESC is rated for 6s. We all know a 4600kv motor, even sensored ones can and do run in 4x4 SCT all the time on 2s. And normally you see castle motors running cooler than many other brands. So I think it is just conservative advertisement.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Application Guidelines:
Extreme performance in 2WD SCT/CORR vehicles on 2S. Perfect for racing 4WD SCT/CORR vehicles on 2S in high temperature environments. Max recommended vehicle weight 6.5 lbs.

Max. Recommended Vehicle Weight: 6.5lbs.

The 1410 is recommended for 6.5lbs or less .... right off the website. 9lbs is crazy talk on that little motor.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wittyname
Application Guidelines:
Extreme performance in 2WD SCT/CORR vehicles on 2S. Perfect for racing 4WD SCT/CORR vehicles on 2S in high temperature environments. Max recommended vehicle weight 6.5 lbs.

Max. Recommended Vehicle Weight: 6.5lbs.

The 1410 is recommended for 6.5lbs or less .... right off the website. 9lbs is crazy talk on that little motor.
I was referring to the ESC specs not the individual motors
Old 01-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

From their website.

"With the included 1406 - 4600kv sensored motor, this combo is great for 2WD short course trucks on 2s LiPo and geared conservatively; 1/10th 2WD Stadium trucks and buggies on 2s for bashing and limited runs on 3s with conservative gearing and for 1/10th scale on-road cars for 2s and 3s use. NOT for use in 4WD short course trucks."

I think when they refer to 1/8th scale they are talking about the ESC only, not the ESC/motor combo.

It really makes no sense. The ESC is rated for 6s. We all know a 4600kv motor, even sensored ones can and do run in 4x4 SCT all the time on 2s. And normally you see castle motors running cooler than many other brands. So I think it is just conservative advertisement.
That paragraph is has more to do with the limits of the motor than the ESC. Our 1406 4600kv should never be used in a 4x4 because it is a very short can and can not provide anywhere near the torque. The 1410 doesn't quite have enough torque for most 4x4 SCTs. The slash 4x4 is really the only one we think it should be used for. Most the other brands' 4x4 is closer to a 1/8th scale buggy than a 1/10th car and really needs a longer motor like our 1415, but our kv is too low for 2s racing.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

A large part of the limited KV selection on the 1415 is that Castle only makes Wye-Wind motors. A while back Patrick said in one of the RC-Monster forums that they would make a 1415 0.5Y wind for that motor. Many moons later when asked about it he said they decided not to make it because the gearing window was too small and they didn't feel it would work for very many applications (paraphrasing somewhat). I also remember Patrick stating his opinion that Delta-wind motors have no place in RC cars.

Many other companies make Delta-wind motors for RC cars. I think a 1415 in 1.5D would be about 2900KV and a 1D would be about 4300KV (basing those estimates on the relative KVs of the Neu 1415 motors). The 4300KV is right about what people want in this size motor for 2S. Look at the Tekin Pro4 HD in 4300KV and see how popular they are.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ta_man
A large part of the limited KV selection on the 1415 is that Castle only makes Wye-Wind motors. A while back Patrick said in one of the RC-Monster forums that they would make a 1415 0.5Y wind for that motor. Many moons later when asked about it he said they decided not to make it because the gearing window was too small and they didn't feel it would work for very many applications (paraphrasing somewhat). I also remember Patrick stating his opinion that Delta-wind motors have no place in RC cars.

Many other companies make Delta-wind motors for RC cars. I think a 1415 in 1.5D would be about 2900KV and a 1D would be about 4300KV (basing those estimates on the relative KVs of the Neu 1415 motors). The 4300KV is right about what people want in this size motor for 2S. Look at the Tekin Pro4 HD in 4300KV and see how popular they are.
I don't fully understand the difference between Y and D motors, but I know Patrick has told me that we don't want to make D motors because our magnet shape, stator design, and our drive patterns are optimized for Y motors and it would require significant retooling and reprogramming to make a Delta motor run as efficiently as one of our Y motors. I had brought it up to him because I had seen the same 1D Neumotor. I have a different motor in mind that I think would be about 4000kv, but I need to get some simulations done on it before I know for sure.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Tech Rookie

I've been running a nonsensored 1410 3800kv in my Losi SCTE, and have absolutely loved the performance and efficiency. I thought I needed more power so I went with a Hobbywing 3656SD, while there was significantly more power I found the Castle motor much smoother and WAY better runtimes. Also ran a tad cooler.

The new sensored 1410- if I love the original 1410 3800kv, is the sensored one any different aside from the addition of the sensor board?
Old 01-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TBSSJoe
I've been running a nonsensored 1410 3800kv in my Losi SCTE, and have absolutely loved the performance and efficiency. I thought I needed more power so I went with a Hobbywing 3656SD, while there was significantly more power I found the Castle motor much smoother and WAY better runtimes. Also ran a tad cooler.

The new sensored 1410- if I love the original 1410 3800kv, is the sensored one any different aside from the addition of the sensor board?
It should be pretty similar. The biggest change that I know of other than the sensor board and the solder tabs is that the 5mm shaft is slightly longer than the 1/8th(3.2mm) shaft to help with pinion mounting. I don't know about that motor specifically but I've heard that most of the motors were slightly more efficient than the sensorless versions.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Exactly.

The Team Durango DESC10 can easily come in at 7.5 lbs. It's basically the DEX8 Ebuggy with added truck parts. I've only heard of one track out in Texas that allows 3s in Pro4 racing. Everyone else on the planet is stuck at 2s. Very high current draw that demands high quality components and batteries. The more efficient the power system, the easier it is on everything down the line. I've got a friend who actually went back to the DESC410 because the DESC10 was killing his electronics.

Castle has always been known for their high power and efficient motors. It's only natural that us PRO4 guys would look to Castle for a solution.

I'm not being hard on you guys Mr. Castle, I know you've just now entered the fray that is 1/10 racing. I was just pointing out a serious gap that could be filled in the future. Because of this gap, I unfortunately had to close the Castle website and open the Team Orion one. You guys are definitely moving in the right direction though!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:57 PM
Tech Adept

Not a solid review per say, but I heard from our team manager that he had gotten a few of the 1406 motors to some carpet oval racers and they were loving them. He said they were running 0.2 seconds faster per lap on 5 second laps compared to their old motors.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:26 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tsair
What ESC are you powering it with?
I use the Mamba Max Pro in mine. The 4600 is a real beast in my B6D. Just so much power overall. I'm going to start messing around with the torque control on my Castle Link because I'm pulling wheelies and although very fun it is just not the fast way around the track.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wyd
I use the Mamba Max Pro in mine. The 4600 is a real beast in my B6D. Just so much power overall. I'm going to start messing around with the torque control on my Castle Link because I'm pulling wheelies and although very fun it is just not the fast way around the track.
We did some track testing and found that using the Max Forward Power setting was actually more effective and consistent than the torque control. If you set it to 90% you get 90% of the top speed but you also get 90% of the torque. If you need to the top speed, you can always gear up a little to get a similar top speed but less torque.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.