Wiki Posts
Search

ADVICE NEEDED: Buying an R/C

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 08:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blarks
What makes you think you will break the parts that easily? You think kit parts are indestructible? Have you read about the kraton? Anyway I just made an example of the cost with going the kit route as you stated your budget in the first post. You could buy a bunch of spares with the money saved. Just trying to help out.
Blarks, your exactly right. He's had a ton of advice from people whos honestly trying to help and give honest advise based on actual experience with kits verses rtrs. If your not going to do at least a little club racing, to me getting a kit and spending 1000.00 or more is kind of overkill. (Assuming we're still talking truggy) The absolute bottom line is, do you want to spend 5 to 6 hundred including batteries and charger.....Or do you want to spend 1000.00 to 1500.00 on a kit. Remember, a kit needs at the least tires,wheels,servo,motor,esc, wires,pinion gear, servo arm, diff oils, shock oils, reciever and radio, paint for body, time to assemble all that correctly,(with some decent tools so you don't drive yourself crazy). Your also going to need a solder gun and solder, heat shrink, zip ties and more. Lol. For people that like kits like me, this is part of the fun. But, I would not do it to just bash around. Too expensive to just bash IMHO. And by the way, the Kraton has extremely strong plastics...Youd be hard pressed to break it... Period. Except a brick wall maybe.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Sr9c_Shooter
Blarks, your exactly right. He's had a ton of advice from people whos honestly trying to help and give honest advise based on actual experience with kits verses rtrs. If your not going to do at least a little club racing, to me getting a kit and spending 1000.00 or more is kind of overkill. (Assuming we're still talking truggy) The absolute bottom line is, do you want to spend 5 to 6 hundred including batteries and charger.....Or do you want to spend 1000.00 to 1500.00 on a kit. Remember, a kit needs at the least tires,wheels,servo,motor,esc, wires,pinion gear, servo arm, diff oils, shock oils, reciever and radio, paint for body, time to assemble all that correctly,(with some decent tools so you don't drive yourself crazy). Your also going to need a solder gun and solder, heat shrink, zip ties and more. Lol. For people that like kits like me, this is part of the fun. But, I would not do it to just bash around. Too expensive to just bash IMHO. And by the way, the Kraton has extremely strong plastics...Youd be hard pressed to break it... Period. Except a brick wall maybe.
Alright I'm getting the Kraton..lol
Can you run it 6s all the time or sometimes give it a break with some 4s as well ?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by blarks
loaba makes some very valid points but I honestly think 1/10 scale cars aren't the best for bashing, I've been there and you cannot beat a 1/8 for true fun bashing. I think if you go kit you really are going to struggle to meet your budget
I love the idea of 8th scale kits - just not the price.

I mentioned my bud who just picked up a Tekno Truggy and I think it's every bit of a $1000.00 car. This is a guy who has all the other RC infrastructure as well, so that was just the price of the kit and components. He will race it every weekend, or it wouldn't be worth the expenditure.

I've been looking at the Kraten - doesn't seem like a bad car at all.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by loaba
I love the idea of 8th scale kits - just not the price.

I mentioned my bud who just picked up a Tekno Truggy and I think it's every bit of a $1000.00 car. This is a guy who has all the other RC infrastructure as well, so that was just the price of the kit and components. He will race it every weekend, or it wouldn't be worth the expenditure.

I've been looking at the Kraten - doesn't seem like a bad car at all.
Yeh I don't plan on racing at all.. Just bash and have fun.
Drink a couple brews while doing it 💪🏽🍻
Old 01-07-2017, 01:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

The Kraton(or some of the other Arrma 1/8scale cars) are easily the best valued cars on the market. Just because they are RTR doesn't mean that they are weaker or worse than some Kits. The Arrmas have proven race geometry and share most of the plastic parts with the Team Durango Kits.

The Arrmas are 98% as good a car (especially for bashing) than a Kit Assuming the builder doesn't do any mistakes while assembling the kit or choosing electronics, but the Arrmas are half the price compared to Kit cars. If you aren't a hard-core hobbyist who refuse to have anything but the best the Arrma will be the perfect choice for you and your budget. I have owned about 20 Kits in my time in this hobby and I own the Kraton and I am very impressed with it. So impressed that if I next summer want to drive 1/8th scale E-buggy I would buy the Arrma Typhon and show everyone that you don't really need the most expensive kit to be competitive.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Maxxi92
The Kraton(or some of the other Arrma 1/8scale cars) are easily the best valued cars on the market. Just because they are RTR doesn't mean that they are weaker or worse than some Kits. The Arrmas have proven race geometry and share most of the plastic parts with the Team Durango Kits.

The Arrmas are 98% as good a car (especially for bashing) than a Kit Assuming the builder doesn't do any mistakes while assembling the kit or choosing electronics, but the Arrmas are half the price compared to Kit cars. If you aren't a hard-core hobbyist who refuse to have anything but the best the Arrma will be the perfect choice for you and your budget. I have owned about 20 Kits in my time in this hobby and I own the Kraton and I am very impressed with it. So impressed that if I next summer want to drive 1/8th scale E-buggy I would buy the Arrma Typhon and show everyone that you don't really need the most expensive kit to be competitive.
👍🏼 well said
Old 01-07-2017, 03:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JJTheBasher
👍🏼 well said

I'm going with the Kraton and plan to buy the aluminum chassis braces and the aluminum servo mount as the first upgrade
Old 01-07-2017, 06:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Diff shims is the 1st thing to do if running 6s. All diffs need to be shimmed. Maybe arrma started shimming them w/ the new kits but back in march they didn't come shimmed. Go to the arrma forum or the thread on here for some tips.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by racingnewb
Diff shims is the 1st thing to do if running 6s. All diffs need to be shimmed. Maybe arrma started shimming them w/ the new kits but back in march they didn't come shimmed. Go to the arrma forum or the thread on here for some tips.
What do you mean shimmed ?
Not sure if Iknow that
Old 01-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

What do you mean shimmed ?
Not sure if Iknow that
I wouldn't worry about shimming the diffs unless there is a known problem with the newer Kraton. I don't think there is. I ran mine on 6s only with zero problems...And mine was the first gen. Just don't try and do standing backflips by locking the center diff every two seconds. Sadly, this is how some people have fun..But doing that will eat any diff eventually. Like I said, the Kraton or Talion is the best rtr value on the market. Waterproof electronics with a two year parts warranty. What other company does that. That means they know their stuff is legit. I have built the Durango dex8t and it's same geometry as the Kraton, with more adjustability. Not necessarily tougher by any means. The Kraton is designed for 6s, says it right on the body. I wouldn't even run 6s in my dex8t, cause I'm racing it and don't care to. It has lightened drivetrain components to save weight, small as it may be. So...For a guy who's gonna run it the park or backyard..And jump skate ramps and just go crazy with it. Go with Kraton or Talion. Parts, ease of maintenance, warranty, waterproof, very strong...Etc. etc. Man, I think we need to be on Armma/Durangos payroll. Lol Btw, they're the same company.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Sr9c_Shooter
I wouldn't worry about shimming the diffs unless there is a known problem with the newer Kraton. I don't think there is. I ran mine on 6s only with zero problems...And mine was the first gen. Just don't try and do standing backflips by locking the center diff every two seconds. Sadly, this is how some people have fun..But doing that will eat any diff eventually. Like I said, the Kraton or Talion is the best rtr value on the market. Waterproof electronics with a two year parts warranty. What other company does that. That means they know their stuff is legit. I have built the Durango dex8t and it's same geometry as the Kraton, with more adjustability. Not necessarily tougher by any means. The Kraton is designed for 6s, says it right on the body. I wouldn't even run 6s in my dex8t, cause I'm racing it and don't care to. It has lightened drivetrain components to save weight, small as it may be. So...For a guy who's gonna run it the park or backyard..And jump skate ramps and just go crazy with it. Go with Kraton or Talion. Parts, ease of maintenance, warranty, waterproof, very strong...Etc. etc. Man, I think we need to be on Armma/Durangos payroll. Lol Btw, they're the same company.
I'm going to get the Tekno Shock springs orange but don't kno whether to get the 80mm or 90mm.
Anyone know
Old 01-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm going to get the Tekno Shock springs orange but don't kno whether to get the 80mm or 90mm.
Anyone know
Or the green anyone let me know which I should get
Old 01-07-2017, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

Or the green anyone let me know which I should get
Replied to your pm.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:11 PM
Tech Rookie

I have the Arrma Senton and that thing can take a beating! As far as springs go they definitely need upgrading. I went with the tekno orange, 90mm up front and 80mm in the rear.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The ring gear on mine and many others needed to be pushed closer to the pinion gear. I was stubborn and didn't shim it till it was too late. The sun gears needed to be shimmed closer to the spider gears as well. When you pull your diffs apart for maintenance and the fluid is black you know the diffs aren't shimmed right. Ring gears are not cheap shims are, shimming diffs is just part of owning a rc car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.