R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #16
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Originally Posted by SavageSYNTH25

"As far as running a voltage regulator ? NO WAY !! I run a Spektrum module/tranciever and there is no need ,as it is good for 9.6 volts ,so is the PT , and my steering servo is rated at 416 in/oz."

The voltage regulator is to keep the voltage from dropping too low, not from letting it get too high. When li-po cells "dump", their voltages drop very low and this can damage your receiver/servos.
The voltage regulator is for stepping down the voltage. A 2 cell lipo pack that is 7.4v can peak at over 8.4v which will fry most servos. The regulator "regulates" the voltage down to 6.7v for the servos to use. It doesn't stop the voltage from getting too low. Some of the new regulators like the SBEC from Integy just happen to come with an alarm for when the voltage gets close to the critical level for the pack. (6.0v for a 2 cell lipo) A lipo pack is not like NICD or NIMH and will not suddenly drop in voltage. Also the voltage dropping too low will not damage you servos or receiver, just the performance starts to decrease till there is not power left to power them. It's all stated in the FAQ on the VXR Racing website.

Last edited by NismoSkyline17; 01-24-2006 at 09:25 AM.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:45 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic
Send a message via AIM to SavageSYNTH25

That is true, but I wasn't referring to that particular voltage regulator. I was talking specifically about the Spektrum receiver and the regulator they offer. The receivers can be damaged if the voltage to the receiver drops too low, so they offer a voltage regulator to combat this. I was only talking about Spektrum systems in particular, but you are correct.
SavageSYNTH25 is offline   Reply With Quote