Search
Like Tree3Likes

RawSpeed vs AKA vs Pro-Line Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default RawSpeed vs AKA vs Pro-Line Tires

So currently Pro-line is my go to tire for Off-road indoor clay. I really like the Electron Rear/Transistor Front combo for 2wd Buggy. Another reason that this is my go to is because the track normally only carries Proline and Jconcepts rubber. They have a small wall with AKA that never seems to be get refilled.

My Question is for those people who have had a chance to actually run them all. What are your opinions on the tires? I have read some mixed reviews but I would like to see what people who have actually tried them frequently or compared them to each other have to to say about them.

Strengths, weaknesses, etc.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

https://youtu.be/j6eEG8Cv0wc
Old 12-22-2016, 03:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Pro-line is the only one I don't use because the foam has a reputation for being much less durable than AKA or Jconcepts. All of them work well where I race.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks, I have watched that video in the past. I was hoping for something more current as tire compounds have changed with the Proline based tires as well as the release of the RawSpeed Tires.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:52 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Raw speed foams are awesome. Firmer, last much longer than proline and maybe even JC dirt tech. Their tires take a long time to come in. My last ones took about 20 runs on a track that took about 5 with electrons. Once they came in they were just as good. I use them as practice tires and for my son. I have the same opinion on proline foam, but the newer ones seem to be holding up a good bit better.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAE
. I use them as practice tires and for my 1 I have the same opinion on proline foam, but the newer ones seem to be holding up a good bit better.
Good to hear. I know people like the tires.

The rawspeed foam sounds like the Duratrax foam. Very firm, much like the 1st gen AKA foams.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:12 PM
JAE
Tech Master

the foams must match the longevity of the tire. My rawspeed tires just found their sweet spot at no joke about 25 runs. I almost gave up on them. Bought a sander and may try breaking them in again. If i can get the grip of the electrons by sanding and saucing it would be worthwile for the foams.... then again could just get the dirtwebs. The fronts are outstanding and bitey once they come in
Old 12-22-2016, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Tried the Rawspeed Stage 2s. Gave up on the rears, like others said they take a long time to break in, where as Electrons are good after a few packs. Front was a whole different story, broke in fast and worked great. My go to is now RawSpeed Stage 2 front / Electron rear.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:10 PM
Tech Addict

I've always ran Pro-line for many reasons; one of which is that they are designed and built in the USA. My issue with them is lack of diversity within the tire range for certain classes. So recently I started running AKA tires. The difference in overall quality and material consistency is noticable. I'm now running both brands with a slow transition over to AKA. I ran quite a few JConcepts tires for a while. One thing I didn't like was that they are made in China, yet the price does not reflect that. Given choice, I choose American products when at all possible. Another brand I've spent some time with is Panther. They are usually cheap and offer great sale's, but the overall quality is much less than the other three I've used. So in my opinion, if I were to rate these brands on performance, quality, value and consistency, right at this moment I would say AKA, PRO-LINE, JCONCEPTS, PANTHER. In that order. Opinions will vary but that is mine. I would suggest you buy them all and test them yourself. AR
Slashripper likes this.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I run what works. At the end of the day, I( a U.S. veteran) believe in buying the best. I don't blindly follow a U.S. manufactured tire because it was made here. If a China made tire outperforms a U.S. made tire then the U.S. company let me down. That being said and having run all these tires, I feel you are doing yourself all disservice in only running one brand. Even the sponsored guys will sometimes run tires from non sponsored manufacturers because they work. I say do the testing and figure out what works for each track under certain conditions. Understanding the tires and the different compound and foam strengths and weaknesses is the best thing you can do. That will give you better results.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:48 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Haven't matched the raw speed fronts with electron rears. Tread is so thick on the raw speed. Did they come in at the same time as the electrons?

Originally Posted by belewis01
Tried the Rawspeed Stage 2s. Gave up on the rears, like others said they take a long time to break in, where as Electrons are good after a few packs. Front was a whole different story, broke in fast and worked great. My go to is now RawSpeed Stage 2 front / Electron rear.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
I run what works. At the end of the day, I( a U.S. veteran) believe in buying the best. I don't blindly follow a U.S. manufactured tire because it was made here. If a China made tire outperforms a U.S. made tire then the U.S. company let me down. That being said and having run all these tires, I feel you are doing yourself all disservice in only running one brand. Even the sponsored guys will sometimes run tires from non sponsored manufacturers because they work. I say do the testing and figure out what works for each track under certain conditions. Understanding the tires and the different compound and foam strengths and weaknesses is the best thing you can do. That will give you better results.
Chris, thank you for your service. I'm with Alan on this one. There are enough choices from Proline, AKA and Panther to find a combo that works for any surface I've encountered. JCo and HB make some good tires, but I prefer to spend my money with companies who keep the work here.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

subtle hijacking here. Agree on the Transistors/Electron combo! Pro-line and AKA are all made in the USA while JC overseas.

Have these on pre-order. the JC Space Bars. Cannot wait to try them.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I like and run proline tires and aka. But to say you only buy American tires to keep jobs here is silly. I hope you understand that none of the cars, motors, batteries, or speed controls are manufactured in the U.S. So it doesn't really make sense to be die hard about the tires. With that being said the new proline positrons and jconcepts space bars look to be the new hot ticket indoors.
motoj550 likes this.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

We still run Novak motors and use a Tekin ESC. We have 2 mutt builds based on Chuckworks chassis with mostly USA aftermarket parts. I'm sorry that Bob Novak retired, but there are many small (and large) businesses that I support who contribute to the employment and tax base of the Golden State.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.