Wiki Posts
Search

best off road car for dog to chase?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kantor5
@Billy Kelly Saw the video! Thats a cool car! thats like what I want just for him to chase it. It would be in a golf course type of grass.
Golf course grass opens up possibility of a 1/10. Most struggle in grasss. Normally 1/8 would be better. Not the first that's asked about it for a dog to chase. And as long as they just chase it's great. Shepard might decide to attack.
Vehicle in video was the Arrma Outcast. Over the budget you mentioned.

Hers the Shepard puppy that used to chase my cars.

https://youtu.be/0Vgn-Lu3488

Didn't take long before too big. The family moved before got to try a bigger vehicle.

Last edited by Billy Kelly; 12-01-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Get a drone and the grass is a non issue. They are fairly cheap and you can get one with a camera to preserve your memories.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

1/8 truggy for sure. I love going to the park with my dog. The only problem is that I need a greyhound.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Dogs

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
None of my cars ever lasted long on grass. Maybe a truggy?
My dog loves to chase my truggy all over the yard. Definitely a truggy over a buggy
Old 12-03-2016, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nothing 1/8 scale. Anyone advocating this size/weight/speed has not seen a person hit by a car. It's not pretty.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by claytrackstar
Nothing 1/8 scale. Anyone advocating this size/weight/speed has not seen a person hit by a car. It's not pretty.
For what he wants to do, 1/8 is best option. It's over his budget. As for getting hit by a 1/8. Yes. I've been hit by a 1/8. And hit by a 1/5. Neither at full speed, but hard enuff to knock me down. Just need to be aware of surrounding.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

I've seen in person a child take a hit that resulted in a cleanly broken ankle. It's dangerous simply because its enough to knock you down. A dog has more delicate feet etc than a human. It's simply not a smart idea to go 1/8 scale based on force mass velocity. Simply being aware doesn't mean that you won't happen to accidentally smash your dogs foot. While it's over his budget, used market could easily be an option. But I hardly can imagine a reasonable person that understood the inherent risk of running an 1/8 scale springing for this application when the drive is inexperienced. What do you think about something like a Redcat crawler? Enough torque for the grass but slow enough that it wouldn't cream the dog and cheap enough to meet the budgetary concerns...? That being said it will be sloooow lol. Just talked in a circle lol. Used truggy with dialed down EPA? Hmmmm....
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
For what he wants to do, 1/8 is best option. It's over his budget. As for getting hit by a 1/8. Yes. I've been hit by a 1/8. And hit by a 1/5. Neither at full speed, but hard enuff to knock me down. Just need to be aware of surrounding.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

For the sake of throwing more crap in the pile.. my proline mt pulls through the grass just fine.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:30 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by claytrackstar
I've seen in person a child take a hit that resulted in a cleanly broken ankle. It's dangerous simply because its enough to knock you down. A dog has more delicate feet etc than a human. It's simply not a smart idea to go 1/8 scale based on force mass velocity. Simply being aware doesn't mean that you won't happen to accidentally smash your dogs foot. While it's over his budget, used market could easily be an option. But I hardly can imagine a reasonable person that understood the inherent risk of running an 1/8 scale springing for this application when the drive is inexperienced. What do you think about something like a Redcat crawler? Enough torque for the grass but slow enough that it wouldn't cream the dog and cheap enough to meet the budgetary concerns...? That being said it will be sloooow lol. Just talked in a circle lol. Used truggy with dialed down EPA? Hmmmm....
I'll agree there is always a chance. How a dog reacts to RC can be very unpredictable. And with the size a Shepard can reach, no telling if they would just chase or attack it. Most of the dogs that I've let chace my vehicles have been good. They just follow it. I've read of owners dragging something behind vehicle for dog to catch, opposed to biting the tires of vehicle. My fear with a large dog is them biting down on battery.