Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Off Road Racing Update or keep practicing? >

Off Road Racing Update or keep practicing?

Off Road Racing Update or keep practicing?

Old 10-31-2016, 01:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rabidtrout
All depends on parts support. SC5M is "newer" than the losi.
+1

Don't get a TLR SCT right now, the new kits have been discontinued by TLR and a new kit will be here shortly (I would guess in the next couple of months).

SC5M is still current.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Good to know. Thanks guys!

Now the next million dollar question lol, What is a good budget friendly motor / esc combo? (under $200). Keep in mind I primarily race on an indoor high bite carpet track (45 feet by 70 feet ozite carpet track) Sensored of course? What turn motor is best for this size? Also I run at a much larger clay track from time to time as well. Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-31-2016, 06:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
AE 4 gear and 3 gear mid motor configurations BOTH run the same motor direction. There's no need to for an ESC that can reverse motor rotation. To add, I can't think of any current platform that requires reversing the standard motor rotation.

Where do you get your info from?
I blame Pabst Blue Ribbon for that brain fart lol. I had forgotten that the AE 3-gear moves the motor from the right side to the left, unlike that homebrew I came up with. Doh! Thanks for correcting me. It's important to make sure the OP isn't misinformed
Old 10-31-2016, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I almost had my wedding at the pabst mansion. But the wife won and we had it at a resort. Born and raised in Milwaukee may have added some bias in my choice.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

I would suggest looking at one of the hobbywing v3.1 escs. They are very smooth and have strong braking. Plus their motors are pretty good too. I would look at an 7.5 to 8.5 motor for mod. If you are on a really tight budget you could also snap of one of the older v2.1 esc for around 80 to 90 dollars. They are very good and are 120 amps escs too. They can even be updated to have boost and turbo timing advance if needed.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Zinergy
I almost had my wedding at the pabst mansion. But the wife won and we had it at a resort. Born and raised in Milwaukee may have added some bias in my choice.
Ah, the smell of yeast in the air! I toured the old brewery before it was closed down. There was word that the present owner of the company planned to move back to the original site.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tsair
+1

Don't get a TLR SCT right now, the new kits have been discontinued by TLR and a new kit will be here shortly (I would guess in the next couple of months)
If they base it on the 22 3.0 buggy, they're gonna have a helluva truck! I'm anxious to see what the next generation will be.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks everyone