Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya Fighting Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 03:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Tamiya Fighting Buggy

Hi folks, I need some advise.

My Tamiya Fighting Buggy (re-released Super Champ from 1982) has just arrived. It is a chance for me to re live the good old 1980s I have also ordered a 17T brushed motor to power this bad boy (only silver can is included in the kit).

In the instruction manual I have a choice of high or low gear ratio. Which one should I select to match my motor? Any of you guys who have bought this 'retro' buggy is also welcome to share your experience.

Thank you
Old 10-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It depends. Try high gear ratio for better top end speed. Unless you're going to run it in loose dirt, I don't think you will miss the little bit of acceleration or low-end torque.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F8Crusader
Hi folks, I need some advise.

My Tamiya Fighting Buggy (re-released Super Champ from 1982) has just arrived. It is a chance for me to re live the good old 1980s I have also ordered a 17T brushed motor to power this bad boy (only silver can is included in the kit).

In the instruction manual I have a choice of high or low gear ratio. Which one should I select to match my motor? Any of you guys who have bought this 'retro' buggy is also welcome to share your experience.

Thank you
Hi there, I would go the 15T/70T gear ratio. The SC/FB are fairly heavy and I the motor temps stay reasonable with the higher ratio/ smaller pinion while giving a longer run time of 10-12 mins.

Having said that, I'd encourage you to rethink think the 17T brushed. I run a silver can in an original and on 2S lipo they are fun and drive-able within their design limitations. A black can or a 26T ebay silver can will be plenty and fit straight in no mods to plastic cover.

The faster they go, the harder they roll and more damage to the body. Once the body is wrecked the vintage enjoyment evaporates. Even on soft sand they break up/scratch the decals if rolled or awkwardly jumped too quickly. They are just not as forgiving as newer designs but fun at vintage speeds.