Wiki Posts
Search

YZ-2 or RB6.6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 06:38 PM
ylc
Tech Rookie

Default YZ-2 or RB6.6?

Hi, I'm thinking to build a kit for practicing on the local tracks. My friend told me to get a YZ-2 CA as the tracks are astroturf and clay. But personally I prefer to play the setups of transmissions provided by RB6.6 more. So does anyone have both these two kits and can you provide some comparison?
Thank you.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For Astro and clay, you will likely want the laydown always. You may have better luck on clay, at least while learning, with a 3 gear standup. The other transmissions offered by the RB6.6 (4 gear mid motor, rear motor) won't be very useful in your situations.

I'd go with whichever you have the most local support for. Yokomo parts are only available in the US through Amain, which is fine, just be aware that you aren't going to find spares at any track. Kyosho will have more support, but their parts are the most expensive.

If you haven't ruled out the Associated B6 and TLR 22 3.0, you might want to consider those. I don't know where you are, but most places in the US have lots of support for those. Also, they have great starting setups and post their team driver setups online.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Rb6.6 has everything in one kit that other brands break in to two kits. Definitely an awesome car. Happy hunting.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:39 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have the Xray xb2, rb6.6, and b6d laydown. I didn't buy the yz2 (although I still want one) because im just starting out this year and many people advised I'd be struggling for traction most with that buggy. I would also say get which car most are running so you can get setup advice. Rb6.6 and b6 had the most rear grip for me. B6 is easier to drive and more planted. I have more fun with the rb6.6 Laydown as the steering as incredibly aggressive and still has just as great traction on even medium grip clay with a 3 gear laydown. I like that I don't have to find ways to give it more steering. I drive my cars pretty slow and let the car do the work of that makes sense so the more agressive steering for me the better for my driving style. If you're always pinning it the b6 is much easier to control. My 2 cents. Sorry I didn't cover the yz2 but the tips here combined with the other yz2 advice should give you the whole spectrum. I'm also intersted in hearing more about the yz2 comparison. Hope this helps
Old 10-20-2016, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Also, setup support is important unless you're very good at setting up cars.

Although you can start with a base setup for your track type or even your specific track, it's an advantage if there's at least a couple other good people running your brand so you can discuss your car's handling and make improvements.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

I have both cars, and they both can be tuned to run on any high bite surface. YZ-2 is a bit more planted (although you may need a weight set if you ever intend to run on clay) which makes it feel a bit lazy. For me the RB6.6 has better steering, and wont cost as much to maintain due to AMAINs outrageous price hikes on Yokomo parts. Both will do what you need them too, just depends on what brand your ready to pay a premium for. I also think that Kyosho severly outperforms the Yokomo in the shocks department. The Yokomo shocks are suitable, and still better then most brands, but may stick at full uncompression (using a .5mm internal limiter keeps that from happening), I also had to limit uptravel with o-rings on the rear shocks ala XRAY so the drive bones dont get dinging on the outdrives.