Truck or Buggy? Pros and Cons...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Truck or Buggy? Pros and Cons...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Tech Adept

Default Truck or Buggy? Pros and Cons...

I am in the process of selling my oval cars and getting back into the sport. I want to pick up a used RC10B3 or RC10T3 off eBay... and I can't decide which direction to go. Any ideas? I am just looking to have some fun and kinda be competitive at the same time. What about the Losi buggies and trucks? I don't really want to go broke... because autocross already does that to me.

p.s. the local track is an indoor packed dirt one

Last edited by Sport Injection; 01-05-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

First off, get the T4 or B4. Both can be had for a decent price. You will find parts much easier to find and help with setup much easier to come by. I have both Losi and Associated vehicles and they are both excellent. The B4 seems faster on a high grip surface but the Bk2 is easier to drive, especially when the track is slick.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
First off, get the T4 or B4. Both can be had for a decent price. You will find parts much easier to find and help with setup much easier to come by. I have both Losi and Associated vehicles and they are both excellent. The B4 seems faster on a high grip surface but the Bk2 is easier to drive, especially when the track is slick.
ditto- also xxxt mf 2 is excellent truck
Old 01-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

The buggy takes more driving and setup skill to turn fast laps. The truck is more forgiving and can be just as fast. All I have ever had is Losi but I like the way the new AE looks. If electric offroad ever gets popular in KY again I will go AE all the way.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

I've personally run nothing other than Losi trucks and buggy, and I don't plan on changing either. Now....buggy will improve your driving skills and test your setup skills at the same time. Truck is easier to drive and more forgving on setup. If you've never driven off road then truck might be better first.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get both used and just have fun. The buggy will make your truck driving better. I have MF2 and BK2. Bought the MF2 new and built. Bought the buggy used for $100 at the track. Love them both. Also have a XX4.....but thats another story.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Just an opinion-

A while back I used to race a buggy (B2) and on a prepped track it was awesome. With a truck, however, you can throw on some multi-purpose style tires and have some fun in the steet/yard/softball field ect., and still go out and run at the track if you want. It's like comparing an exacto blade to a pocket knife; one is very precise but fragile and single purpose, whilst the other is versatile and durable. I race TC, but just got a truck so I can have fun if I want without all the extra effort (The Mi2 aint touching no driveway!)
Either way find which you like and have fun...
Old 01-06-2006, 01:14 AM
Tech Master

It's a common misconception how people assume the T3/T4 are stronger then their buggy counterparts just because they have bigger wheels/tyres and are much wider. Trucks have a decieving look about them.

Trucks have bigger wheels and wider arms, therefore creating more leverage on the arms causing them to snap a whole lot easier on impacts or side clips. Look at it this way; you would find it harder to snap a 5cm long stick then it is to snap a 10cm stick, wouldn't you?

There are plenty of available parts for the B3/T3, most Hobby Shops and online retailers still stock parts them. www.towerhobbies.com is an example.

www.rpmrcproducts.com stock aftermaket parts for the B3/T3 as well.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:28 AM
Tech Regular

I agree with Duratrax. A truck will most likely break more but parts are cheap. Plus the idea of racing is not to hit thing. The only thing I ever broke from time to time on my Losi xxx is a ball stud which sucks because you had to replace the part that it broke in. The old XXXT was bad to break rear ball studs in the shock tower which ment you had to replace the shock tower.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Just an opinion-I race TC
I stopped by the US Touring Car Championships(practice) last night and was starting to get the touring car bug too! ahh.. but I assume that picking up an old TC3 will just end up being a money pit trying to keep up with newer cars?
I guess a tight budget can only survive in off road?

Great info guys... keep it coming
Old 01-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sport Injection
I stopped by the US Touring Car Championships(practice) last night and was starting to get the touring car bug too! ahh.. but I assume that picking up an old TC3 will just end up being a money pit trying to keep up with newer cars?
I guess a tight budget can only survive in off road?

Great info guys... keep it coming
I have a friend that still runs a TC3 and on most tracks is still very competitive. A Team TC4 (tub chassis) can also be found very cheap. Locally I've seen three sell for between 100-125 dollars
Old 01-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Tech Rookie

buggys rule but i like my truck too i think its all about personal choice.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Personally, if there is enough racers in the class, go with the buggy. Few things that I like about buggies:

1. Tires cheaper
2. faster speeds with similar motor than you get with a truck
3. More nible
4. More challenging to drive

For these reasons, I am selling my truck and will be getting another buggy, either 2wd or 4wd.

As for touring, if you get a TC3, see if you can get one that has the BMI Chassis upgrade on it. Its still a very good car and parts are out there cheap. an X-Ray is also nice, best fit and finish I have seen.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Tech Adept

A lot of really good advise guys.

I would recomend a truck though, if the track is bumpy or really loamy. That said, there's nothing like running a buggy on a track that suits them.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:53 AM
Tech Adept

Great advice.... i think the next thing i should do is go to the track and see what people are running.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.