Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SH .28 running temp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation SH .28 running temp?

Hey guys, its been a while since ive been here.

My mate just got a SH .28 in his madforce. The GS-21R bit the dust a while back for unknown reasons. I think it wasnt tuned well, it didnt run that great.

Anyways!

I dont really know what sort of temperature it should run at, ive only ever had .15's and .12's.

I plan on convincing him to either get a venom digital temp meter with the failsafe in it, or get a Infrared temp meter. What sort of readout would you guys say is normal for this engine?

Cheers
Chris
Old 09-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I don't like to knock products, but the 2 venom failsafes I have cause more trouble than what they are worth. I don't use them anymore.

On board temps are not very accurate, from what I have seen anyway.

Look into a temp gun, only $90 (US that is).

A motor that size can run comfortably anywhere from 210-260.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Tech Addict

That is a very, very debatable topic. Temps that is! When I started racing nitro I always tuned to a cretin temp range. Usually 220-230. My engines ran good but not great. I have found that each nitro engine is different and tunes different. Even from the same manufacture and the same engine. I also found tuning to temp is just wrong. Now I tune for performance and watch the smoke trail. Once I get a good performance tune on one particular engine I will check temp for reference only. If it’s not running 270+ I will leave it alone. Some of my engines run real good at 235-245 and some run best 255-265. Tuning to temp will drive you nuts. Always tune to performance and watch the smoke trail. If it runs good and makes good smoke everywhere don’t worry too much about temps. I am also starting to find out that the engines that are running a little hotter than others with in reason, are lasting longer. I would say over 280-290 is pushing it though.

Also not to sound crude or anything but the two temp devices you talked about are junk at best. The only one device that is worth anything in the hobby we are in is the Exergen. I have seen and compared some of the others at the track and some are as much 40-60 degrees off. The down side to this is they are very expensive. If you must use one of the others find some buddy at the track with an Exergen and have them to read your engine when you come in from a race. Then compare it with yours and note the difference. If theirs says 240 and yours says 215, take note that yours about 25 degrees off and keep that in mind when using yours.

I will probably catch s..t for this post but they are my thoughts on the matter and my .02.

P.S here is a like for the best price on an Exergen temp gun. Like I stated a little pricy but they work and are the best for what we do!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id=2246
Old 09-27-2005, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Talking

Thanks for the info.

I dont tune to temp, i have always tuned to performance then if its running well, i will check temp. But i've only had the spit test which isnt that special.

I had a feeling the venom temperature monitors where crap. I remembered hearing it sometime or somewhere.

I guess ill get my mate to go for a infrared temp gauge. Any objections to Duratrax infrared temp gauges ? Theres some other brands on ebay too... Not really looking into spending a fortune on one, just want something that will do the job.

Speedbump, you say this exergen temp monitor is really good. But how do you know its accurate? Two different readouts from two different brand temp monitors doesnt mean your temp monitor is accurate because it cost more... The topic seems sort of touch and go as to whats accurate. I dont need something all that accurate, just something to give me a guide.

Cheers guys,
Chris
Old 09-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Tech Addict

sausage_link I completely understand your doubt! Here is some reading on the Exergen, its not your average temp gun.

http://www.exergen.com/industrl/dxseries/broch.htm
Old 09-30-2005, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Hmm, i think ill just go with a cheap model, i know i know! it wont be accurate but i think it will be better then the spit test. I just want an idea of temperature.

What do you guys think of the SH .28 engine? Any good?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 09-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Speedbump's big post hit the nail on the head. Tune for performance and use the temp gun to make notes and keep your engine temperature in check.

The Exergen temp gun is the only way to go. I've seen ten of them within two degrees on the same engine. If your Exergen seems a little wacky, wipe out the lens area with your t-shirt, an it'll be good to go again.

Also, the Tempgun.com units work really well. They can be calibrated (use your buddy's Exergen to set yours) and then they work really well. Their parent company (www.proexotics.com) makes temperature probes for reptile cages...and you can't mess up when the temperature when building a living space for a pet reptile.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Tech Addict

hi guys i have just bought a venom mini temp and my highest reading was 360 degrees farenheit this is way too hot im just wondering if the temps you guys are talking about in the range of 230-280 maximum is in celsius or farenheit??
i am having trouble tuning my engine and it runs too hot even on a rich setting. any ideas why ?? heavy smoke trail.
but i didnt want to lean it out as it would heighten the temperature.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

That would be farenheit downunder! Running too rich can also cause high temps!