Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 ESC Recommendations (Racing)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 01:41 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Anything can break. Murphy's Law. All the Tekin products are of our design and are built and assembled right here in the U.S.(using foreign and domestic parts**I have to say that part, lame I know). The cases are molded here, the boards are made and loaded here, and employees in a company here in the U.S. put it all together.

Having personally attended the recent 1/8 Roar and 4wd SC Nats in Indiana, I can tell you first hand that all the equipment can fail, period. 1/8 racing is tough on anything you put inside the car. Let's be honest, we're jumping and flying an 8lb buggy over 40-60+ ft gaps and at times flat landing from over 30 feet in the air. Try taking your cell phone through that and let me know how it works out. LOL

I also saw and helped fix things like poor soldering, improper mounting, improper wire routing, loose battery connections, you name it. I saw it all while I was there. I even fixed/repaired some ESC's that didn't say "Tekin" on them while I was there. Everyone at Tekin is a racer, most of travel to the events as well.

I even went as far as to have the announcer offer my services for free to re-wire anyone's car to assure that all the wires people had falling off in the intense heat index whether not it was Tekin equipment. Feel free to ask anyone that was there. We want to assure that 1/8 electric racing not only has it's place in r/c racing but that it thrives.

There is plenty of equipment that works. In our experience competition promotes growth, evolution, and innovation. We look forward to improving on every item Tekin makes.

As some have pointed out , the Rx8 has features that others simply do not. I suggest continuing your research and look around to see what is out there. If you should have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to any of us here at Tekin. My contact info is on the site.

See you at the races.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Having just come to the eBuggy side,
It was a close call between the newest versions of the HW and RX8,
I went with the RX8 Gen2/1900kv combo as I had some previous experience with Tekin products. One big part was the customer service side should I need it. Another big part was the 255 software, it's pretty amazing.

That said there can always be a failure from any number of things/reasons on any ESC used. Good isn't always cheap, and cheap isn't always good.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:08 PM
Tech Champion

We still have to put a ziptie over the Tekin's heat sink to keep it from ripping the case apart on any kind of -G crashes. And the fan dies too quickly. Needs a tougher case. And/or a tougher case and fully potted. Solved the Rx8's water sensitivity with some electronics board shellac for backup power system and aviation control boards.

The HW SCT pro is more durable, but it has a stupid giant switch. And it's wires are soldered on at the most ignorant angle I've ever seen. Straight up. Not as easy to tune as the Rx8 though (if and when the Tekin Hotwire program is in a good mood,which is about as often as an Italian woman). I've also had the HW stutter for a bit after a hard landing, but never fail.

Put the Tekin solder posts on the Hobbywing, and you have almost a perfect ESC. Strengthen the Rx8 case and fan setup, shellac the board for water, and you'd have the perfect ESC.

Now that the HW esc's have solder posts, that's the way I'd lean if I had to bother buying another esc.
http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?i...er_attr=5417.0

I'm currently running an Rx8, Viper 1/8, and Hobbywing SCT pro, and 2 Tekin RS's (that I can't get fragile replacement cases for anymore).
Old 09-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 116 (99%+)

Thank you to all who took the time to chime in....The sport is down in the dumps because of a few reasons, but one reason for sure is support from your fellow racers. Most guys would rather watch someone struggle with set-up, equipment, etc...than lend a helping hand..We don't all come from racing back grounds, but we all have one thing in common and that is the passion for Rc cars....

Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:00 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
We still have to put a ziptie over the Tekin's heat sink to keep it from ripping the case apart on any kind of -G crashes. And the fan dies too quickly. Needs a tougher case. And/or a tougher case and fully potted. Solved the Rx8's water sensitivity with some electronics board shellac for backup power system and aviation control boards.

Not as easy to tune as the Rx8 though.

Strengthen the Rx8 case and fan setup, shellac the board for water, and you'd have the perfect ESC.

Now that the HW esc's have solder posts, that's the way I'd lean if I had to bother buying another esc.
http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?i...er_attr=5417.0
We don't see many damaged cases unless they've been modified. The heatsink is glued to the fets and should require serious force to remove it. If you had one pop off I'd like to see it: [email protected]

Fans are not really up to long term abuse if we're being honest. I generally dont' run a fan unless ambient temps are above 90 degrees and even then it's more of a "better safe than" scenario.

You know we're always listening and digesting the input all of our users provide.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

No, the heatsink is fine. The whole ESC comes out of it's case. We use the zip tie under the fan, all the way around the mount, to reduce load on the case, as crazy as that sounds.

Stronger plastic, bigger screws would be nice.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

Tekin rx8
Old 09-14-2016, 11:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIGTIME
Thank you to all who took the time to chime in....The sport is down in the dumps because of a few reasons, but one reason for sure is support from your fellow racers. Most guys would rather watch someone struggle with set-up, equipment, etc...than lend a helping hand..We don't all come from racing back grounds, but we all have one thing in common and that is the passion for Rc cars....

Thanks again.
Agreed
Old 09-15-2016, 04:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

is there a software update for the RX8??
Old 09-15-2016, 06:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Like Zerodefect said. If the rx8 made or had a case like the rsx (aluminum case) or even a stronger plastic case it would be bullet proof. ESC was really good while it lasted. I damaged 3 rx8 and when removed, all 3 had cracked cases. Maybe if they make them with aluminum cases they will be $500 retail... LOL. But seriously, Its been brought up in many threads and when I contacted CS I told them, so they know. Alumimun RX8 case and you'll hit it out of the park!
Old 09-15-2016, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

LOL i dont know what you guys are doing to your RX8s....

i was having a random brown out (big HP tune and no caps) in my SCTE 2.0 when i launched off a 40 foot quad (that most people triple/singled... and i did too until i figured out the issue).... so randomly i would have a spectacular crash into a WALL (all season)... and i'm not kind to my truck anyway and i NEVER had an issue with breaking any of my Tekin gear.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

HW SCT Pro in my Tekno escale..used it all spring/summer..not one issue. Best option if you're on a budget
Old 09-15-2016, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

LRP or HW for me at the moment. Tekin can be hit or miss. Don't know why but a friend has a bunch of 1st gen Tekin's that are fine. Never had a issue.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kingofcool999
Viper VTX8 is rock solid, if you can find one...
Funny.. first comment... even though we sold out 2 years ago!!! Can't wait for you all to see the new one...

Thanks King!
Old 09-16-2016, 09:17 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
LRP or HW for me at the moment.
Is there a way to make lrp work in dusty conditions? I have an ix8 but it got very erratic within a few races. Just blowing out doesn't help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.