R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree9Likes

Old 09-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've never wanted an E 8th scale. This may make me change my mind - why . . . can't tell you. It just looks neat. Must resist getting another car that's effed for part.

Speaking of, is it getting easier to order parts for the other HB cars since the sale of the Company?
Old 09-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #17
CAR
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine View Post
I've never wanted an E 8th scale. This may make me change my mind - why . . . can't tell you. It just looks neat. Must resist getting another car that's effed for part.

Speaking of, is it getting easier to order parts for the other HB cars since the sale of the Company?
That's what stopped me from buying an Hot Bodies is being able to get parts.
CAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

With Neidhart/Orion now owning HB I doubt parts availability will be a problem. They'll right that ship. I wouldn't be shocked to see at least one or two big name drivers jump to HB after the worlds is finished and the silly season begins. They have a complete product line, 8th nitro buggy, truggy and now ebuggy. Plus a full 10th lineup, and a Orion product line backing that up. They have lots to offer now.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apco1 View Post
With Neidhart/Orion now owning HB I doubt parts availability will be a problem. They'll right that ship. I wouldn't be shocked to see at least one or two big name drivers jump to HB after the worlds is finished and the silly season begins. They have a complete product line, 8th nitro buggy, truggy and now ebuggy. Plus a full 10th lineup, and a Orion product line backing that up. They have lots to offer now.
I hope so. I don't own any HB stuff, but I hate to see a brand that offers good (and different) products falter because of issues that should be relatively simple to solve with proper management.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine View Post
Everything is better now.
Eivind E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Let me jump in the bandwagon and say I am strongly considering this car.... I need something new.....
Dialed-RC Hobbies (www.dialedhobbies.com), SOAR Seiki USA
JRSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #22
dtr
Tech Master

What are the two small things on the edges of the arms near the hinge pin?
dtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtr View Post
What are the two small things on the edges of the arms near the hinge pin?
I saw that and thought wtf. On closer inspection, I think it's just the other insert pills drawn for reference.
MattPR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

appealing design here.
only thing that im skeptical about is correct chassis flex, from the initial information it looks like the traditional front and rear braces are gone in favor of an upper deck style brace in the front.
mourinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourinho View Post
appealing design here.
only thing that im skeptical about is correct chassis flex, from the initial information it looks like the traditional front and rear braces are gone in favor of an upper deck style brace in the front.
The Tekno conversion only had a front brace (no rear brace) and minor modifications had to be done to it as it got in the way of the front center drive shaft and servo mounting position.

Moving the brace higher up would allow the servo to sit closer inboard to the center-line of the chassis and have the correct steering geometry between the servo arm and upper servo saver arm which appear to be 90 degree angles.

I could be wrong, but I would hazard to say the braces could be used a tuning option for chassis flex
TRiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:17 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
yeah the motor mount is a bit different
Wow, was not expecting that motor mount design! I do notice the hexagon branding theme in it, nice touch!

Like the Tekno conversion I'm assuming that motor mount will slide across the chassis to adjust mesh.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRiN View Post
The Tekno conversion only had a front brace (no rear brace) and minor modifications had to be done to it as it got in the way of the front center drive shaft and servo mounting position.

Moving the brace higher up would allow the servo to sit closer inboard to the center-line of the chassis and have the correct steering geometry between the servo arm and upper servo saver arm which appear to be 90 degree angles.

I could be wrong, but I would hazard to say the braces could be used a tuning option for chassis flex
this all makes sense and i understand why they might have gone this way, but im not convinced its the best option.

an upper deck makes the chassis incredibly rigid as it essentially becomes a truss, so in this case the front will be inflexible and the relatively short distance behind the centre diff will be responsible for all flex.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:47 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourinho View Post
this all makes sense and i understand why they might have gone this way, but im not convinced its the best option.

an upper deck makes the chassis incredibly rigid as it essentially becomes a truss, so in this case the front will be inflexible and the relatively short distance behind the centre diff will be responsible for all flex.
Interesting thoughts. I could be reading too much into the CAD drawing provided, but there appears to be a lower chassis brace directly under the drive shaft more commonly found in 10th scales; the Xray xb4 comes to mind...

I note that the Tekno used a 4mm chassis, while this one would be 3mm...

Area highlighted in yellow in pic attached, what else could it be, a wire guide perhaps
Attached Thumbnails
HB Racing E817-chassis_brace.png  
Old 09-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

i also thought xb4 16 when i saw that, just have to wait for more info.

one thing i really like is the battery on the chassis not jacked up 10mm or so.. should lower CG nicely and give nice crisp weight transfer.

Last edited by mourinho; 09-14-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:51 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Can't wait. Hooray for universals! I also like that some of the new stuff is backwards compatible with the D815.
My ST-RR EVO is offline   Reply With Quote