R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Tuning Problems

I have a nitro rush evo with a nitro star .15 engine. i sent the car to hobbytown to have it broken in and ready to run. I had a question about the low end. As long as my car accelerates smoothly is the low end fine? If the top speed is good is my top end fine? I use a temp gage and the temperature is around 220 degrees. I know the temp is fine but could i lean it out to get a better top speed or richen it to get the desired effect?
RCMASTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

I personally KINDA ditched the "tune by temp" method. The desired effect is a crisp powerband throughout the movement from idle to top end.

From an idle, you should be able to jam on the gas and the car accelerate just as hard as you pulled the trigger with no bog or lag between idle and initial movement.

From movement to top end, you want it to be as linear as possible, gas and exponential powerbands don't always go well together.

Top end should be just that, maximum speed. But, you should be able to hear if your top end is running rich or too lean. If at top end, you don't see ANY smoke, then you're too lean, and if your car feels like it's dragging a tree behind it, you'll know by the sound.

I like to tune by sound and feel. If it's crisp then it's good. But once I'm close and am happy with the feel, then I'll check the temp to see what's up. Also, a few 20 degrees over 220 really isn't going to kill your engine! You'll be fine to push it past 220.
Chris Woods

TQ Racing Wire
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:45 AM   #3
Tech Addict
Default sh engine tuning

ok hi i am having similar troubles too but it seems when i get my trigger response perfect in that i mean i have when i get good acceleration from standing through to top end with out a putter or bog down it seems to run too high in the temperature department it ran (last run) to 360 degrees farenheit is that too high? also it then runs to high idle rpm so i cant win when i get the settings right for drivability it lacks in temperature being to high and no matter what i do it never has run through a full tank sinse i bought it.(second hand, 2 months old).
downunder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:27 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Downunder 23 If you bought it used there is a possibility that it has gone past the (run fine) stage and is getting a little worn. I had a 2 week old engine with about 6 runs on it, experience a run away (someone on my freq) and it ruined it in about 10 seconds. It would start fine and run down to the end of the first straight and die as soon as I decelerated. Every time. I put a new sleve and piston in it and it was fine. You might even find someone to 'pinch' it. That works great, will make it like new again.
Slash 4X4, Bone stock and trying to keep it that way.
Trixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

ok Ill try that when I tune it! Thanks so much for the advice and help!
Old 01-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

My steering servo gears stripped sO i replaced it with an ultra torque servo. I had to take my rush evo apart and I think I knocked something out of adjustment because It has no Idel and I fiddled with the idle screw and no matter what my truck is always moving forward. its also is running rich. the servo has a bad turning radius which is irritating. My rush evo is so unpredictable so Im just gonna let the guys at hobbytown put it back in adjustment for me so I dont blow myself up.