Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reviving 4 wheel drive!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Talking Reviving 4 wheel drive!

Has there been a 1/10 scale 4 wheel drive resurgence in your club?
Here at CRCRC in columbus ohio we always had a couple guys that should up w/ one but kind of cried to themselves they could never run them! Is this you? Having never raced one before but liking the design and theory I decide to get people excited about them again! With leg work and getting the stores excited to promote them, I started talking them up, went and bought my one, put my brother into one as well. The first week we started w/ 5 but dropped to 4 becasue we were all new and didn't have enough parts to share. Then the next week was Thanksgiving and 6 ran. Last week we ran 8, with 2 to 3 guys who took a week off! This week I'm expecting at least a full class. We allow brushless ,19t modified, or even stock (hence a true open!) There was even a Kyosho even make its way onto the track! As long as these guys have been running touring cars that have just as much bench work I can't believe these guys don't naturally cross over. The cars are not really as fragile as people make them out to be! So in short I'm saying that if you start talking around your clubs, there are people who want to run them but really are afraid to do it until they see a consistant class, so step up and lets put the top class back on top again! Also, by the way, if you live close to Columbus OH, and want to run yours there WILL be a class here every sunday!
Old 12-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

At Trackside in Wisconsin we are back to running two heats of 4wd. We have a promo here if you race a 4wd you race that class for free.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Our track in San Diego is starting one up. I've already got mine(kyosho) and others are to follow. I have now raced there twice in two-wheel class as a demo. Lots are excited about it.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here in IA we usually get 4-5 in the 4wd class. On a few sundays we've had 10.

I consider that to be pretty good considering the 2wd class averages around 8-15 on a weekly basis.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The funny thing I've always noticed is guys complaining they are too expensive... the same guys that will drop $500 on a new tourer every couple of months!!!
Old 12-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey cartmen34, where are you at in Iowa?

The sense of timing for this topic couldn't be better!! This passed summer we tried to start a 4wd class at our local outdoor track. There were initially 6 that bought buggies and by the time we actually started racing we were down to 3! And due to breakage on of those dropped leaving 2 of us that hung in there. There were a group of guys that came from Wisconsin to race but unfortunately I was out of town and couldn't race. Didn't make a good impression on us to be sure We do have an indoor track (TCHR) that has more 4wd racers and the last time I raced there were 6. I definetly think there has been an increased interest in the class over the last year but what I don't understand is why more aren't raced. True enough I don't think I'd recommend one for a beginning racer but one with more experience would be able to have a blast! The class seems to thrive in some areas but just not be able to get going in others for some reason. Would I like to see 2 heats of 4/5 on a raceday? YOU BET!!! Hopefully for next years outdoor season we can get more 4 wheelers!
Old 12-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I think your best luck is to promote is for indoors and pursaude people to drop money on a 4x4 and not a new b4 or xxxbk. In the end most people believe that it is cheaper to run 1/8th scale then it is to run 4x4.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DFroyd
Hey cartmen34, where are you at in Iowa?

I'm in West Des Moines, but the track I'm referring to is Ft. Dodge R/C raceway in, well, Ft Dodge, IA. TCHR.... that's Twin cities in Minneapolis, right? We've been getting a handful of racers from your area at the last couple of Sunday races. Sorry, I don't have any specific names for you.

I agree with alot of what you said. I think we are on to something good at the Ft. Dodge track. You see a few cars break every now and then, but nobody seems to complain. We don't hear any of that, "gee what a shock, another 4wd car broke!" from the peanut gallery, nor do any of the racers complain. When the rare break happens we just fix them and keep on racing...

Because of this the 4wd class seems to get the most attention when it comes to race time. People line the track, everybody wants to see you car in the pits, and everybody says how much fun it is just to watch the class. We usually have some great racing as well. It makes for a great time. It's one of those great times when you don't care if you won or lost, you have a big smile on your face as you walk off the drivers stand because you got actually race with someone instead of simply trying not to crash.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey cartmen34 I thought that's the track you ran at!! I was one of the racers there the week before Thanksgiving. That is a rockin' track; hard packed, tight infield, and fast!! I had my MRC there and my performance was less than stellar to be sure. Yes I broke some parts but that's racing. My buddy with his BJ4 broke some parts too. The biggest bummer of the day was the speeding ticket I got earlier that day! It's okay though 'cause the other car that came down got one too and his was more money.

I agree with you totally. With as many trucks and buggies that ran the 4wheelers got the lions share of attention. When we first started talking about getting these going we heard a bunch abour broken parts, extra maintenance, etc. One of our original racers had bought a BJ4 but sold it after he broke 6 arms in one day!! He has recently bought a xx4. Mybuggy is down for maintenance right now but hopefully we can make a run down in January some time.

party_wagon, it's not easy to get someone to throw down some dough for something as unique as one of these animals. Most people will buy the truck or buggy because that's what they see most often ran and they can have greater success with a truck right out of the box. You are making a good point though; the more there are, the more interest there will be!!
Old 12-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

It still amazes me why 4wd isnt more popular than 2wd buggy, these cars I think handle better and are faster and are just more fun to drive. Man I wish they would gain in populartity around here. I also agree that it really is no more money to run 4wd than 2wd unless you get the bj4 or what ever. I think the kyosho and the new yokomo look killer.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

the reason people don't like them is because of the yokomo and xx-4. After you those belts are all gunked up with dirt and the cars need to be broken down for a thorough cleaning. The cars such as the bj4, new k car, and the new academy car are much more friendly. Secondly the world spec of the bj4 has much beefier arms then the b4 arms. I would give them a call and order up some of those to replace the b4 arms your probly running. Those stock b4 arms realy aren't stiff enough either for 4x4 either.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This may be a crazy thought, but has anybody ever throught of a spec 4wd class?? I know....spec......blahhhh...

However the cars and rules already exist, and the cost would be very low, low enogh infact to get new people into it before 2wd.... Tamiya has their df-01 cars based on the tt-01 spec chassis. They cost $110 and include the motor and speedo iand oil shocks in the box and they are shaft driven and just being Tamiya kits states how durable they are!!! Not to mention the bodies are pretty cool looking and they can also be had for $180 rtr... that's less than a b4 or xxx buggy (justb the kit!!!).... In general I would bet that if the spec class took off then you would have more people progressing into faster 4wd classes....

i know of one on-road track that gets 40-50 spec racers almost every week during winter and a good number of them are stock racers that just wanna join in on the fun....

Any thoughts??
Old 12-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

4WD has indeed been improving here in the US during 2005, with larger turn-outs all over the country. At the Hot Rod Shoot-Out there were 3 full heats this year -- two in '04. At the Mod Nats, 75 entries this year -- 40 in '04.

I believe the influx of new cars has much to do with the resurgence. There were at least 13 different cars at the Worlds. Two years ago there really was only one wheeler, the xxx-4.

This should continue into 2006 as the Kyosho ZX5 has just gotten into the stores, Losi will re-release the xx-4 in the next few weeks, and we're all looking forward to the new Yokomo. Also, the new Predator is finding its way onto some tracks, and we expect to dramatically reduce the price of the X - 5 Entire Car.

Parts breakage has always been an issue in 4WD. The cars are the fastest things on almost any track (Faster than 1/8 gas.) and the front end has less kick-up than a buggy at the same time the front end is under torque stress from driving the wheels. Control arms, hub carriers, etc. are bound to break more frequently than on a buggy.

4WD is simply more fun. Easier to drive than a buggy, and 1 sec/lap faster at most tracks. As I said earlier, the class should continue growing in '06.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

4wd sure does seem to be making a great comeback, I think part of it has to do with the popularity of 1/8 buggy, since these are basically the smaller versions of them more people see the appeal of them. I'm thinking about ditching my Gas truck and getting a 4 wheeler. Only problem is the hobby shop I work at doesnt do Kyosho, or Losi right now. So I'll have to see if I can convince the owner to start carrying Kyosho. Or I could wait for the new MRC buggy to come out. I just wonder if the 4wd class here in Canada will start growing like it is in the states.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Guys,

Thank you for starting this thread, I for one have been trying to build the 4wd drive class on PA, NJ it is not an easy thing to do. Any help that this thread can do will be great.

Later
Kevin Boyle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.