R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree68Likes

Old 01-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #1081
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwich949 View Post
The track allows 3s in 4wd sct. Should I just throw a 3s in it or switch motors? I really should just stick to 2wd. Thats my happy place.
If you're wanting to run 3s, The Tekin pro4 HD 3000kv motor is a great motor for 3s.

2wd is my happy place as well.
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:10 PM   #1082
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The problem with running 3S might be the extra weight on those tiny springs. Many people already have ride height issues, so you prolly want to keep it as light as you can.
If the pack doesn't weigh anymore then it would fine and actually much better suited to the size and drag of 4x4 SCT to begin with. But you will be illegal for most tracks out there if you do go that route.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #1083
Tech Rookie

I thank everyone for all their input and recommendations..
With no disrespect to any brand, I think i'ma go with a Orion R10.1 ESC. That may be final.
Although, I glanced at many Orion motors, I think I want the most (2s lipo) legal motor with the most punch and speed I can get. Plus, I'm almost curtain I want 4 pole. In 10th scale?

I assume it is a 550(10th scale....KV or 2S), but unsure what the "Neon" is about.
ObuckiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #1084
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObuckiO View Post
I thank everyone for all their input and recommendations..
With no disrespect to any brand, I think i'ma go with a Orion R10.1 ESC. That may be final.
Although, I glanced at many Orion motors, I think I want the most (2s lipo) legal motor with the most punch and speed I can get. Plus, I'm almost curtain I want 4 pole. In 10th scale?

I assume it is a 550(10th scale....KV or 2S), but unsure what the "Neon" is about.
I don't think anyone really minds what you decide to do, and also no disrespect intended. But I am somewhat confused why you'd want to pay $50 more for a re-badged hobbywing XR10 Pro, which from what I can tell also has more features, such as the option for a wifi adapter and a voltage selectable BEC.
Amain claims it only outputs 6v @ 3amps. That sucks for a lot of the modern servos being used these days and wouldn't even run my Futaba 9372 servos. That was what I hated the most about my old version SCT Pro ESC. Had to run an external BEC just to get the servo to work right.
Also the newer hobbywing G2 motors have full time sensor capability, not sure about the Orion stuff, but that is a really nice feature that makes the throttle band smoother than any ESC I have ever messed with.
If you don't care about any of those things and don't mind dropping the extra coin for a name, then disregard what I said.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #1085
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
The problem with running 3S might be the extra weight on those tiny springs. Many people already have ride height issues, so you prolly want to keep it as light as you can.
If the pack doesn't weigh anymore then it would fine and actually much better suited to the size and drag of 4x4 SCT to begin with. But you will be illegal for most tracks out there if you do go that route.
Thank you guys for the input. I do not want to run 3s. Just thought it would be an alternative. But I went to the track and picked up a tekin pro4 hd 4300. Just soldered it up and its a monster. Its probably going to be too much for the track. Which is typically right where I like to be. I'm really stoked on the truck now and can't wait to try 4wd sct racing. I've been racing only stock buggy, mod and stock stadium truck for a few years but I moved up to Washington from so cal and my new track doesn't run stadium.
sandwich949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #1086
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default Best ESC for SCTE Best Servo for the SCTE

I have been reading all the post about Orion ESC and others. I would like to point out that many ESC brands will work fine. However, those nice looking ESCs don't have a service or repair facility in the USA. The Tekin RX8 is a standout in this respect with outstanding support located right here in the USA. It has frequently updated software and a reputation as good or better than anything available. Makes it hard to justify using anything else. I like the new ESC options, but until they have service and repair facility in the USA I will pass.

I feel the same way about servos. I have used many brands and most of them work fine. However, once they give up the magic your best option is the round file #13, Trash can.

There is one brand that hits all the marks. Hitec is the name you want. With a repair service center in the USA it is the only choice for the smart consumer. My favorite for the past few years has been the 7950. Its hard to beat the specs, performance or price. The 7955 is also at the top for less money. If you know of a better brand with service and repair please post it.
Thunder Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #1087
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Trail View Post
I have been reading all the post about Orion ESC and others...
I do agree with what you're saying, but for me I have Futaba 9352 servos and have been running hobbywing for two years now in two trucks, both from which I haven't had a single problem from outside of needing to replace motor bearings once in one of my 4700 motors. I did replace my older SCT pro with the newer XR8 SCT pro since it has more features and a strong BEC, but not because it has ever let me down operation wise.
In comparison I am just not impressed by the Tekin stuff and personally think they are over priced units that can't seem to hang with the hobbywing equipment in durability and reliability from what I have seen.
I have also seen all the arguments and understand how a lot if may be user error, yet I personally haven't seen one hobbywing fry up or need new motor bearings a few times a year like the pro4 stuff does.
And they do have a US service center from hobbywing North America @ https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/pages/rma

I have no arguments with the hitec servos however, they have always been one the best out there and the best bang for the buck IMO. Used to run a lot of them in my planes and helis over the years But I haven't tried their stuff in my SCT's yet due to getting a discount when I ordered my Futaba servos to try out. Never had to ever send a servo in for something I couldn't fix myself though.
So far the Futabas I'm running have been flawless and stupid quick! So quick (.06) it's almost pointless for a land vehicle, as I turn them down 90% with an 75% return speed.

Anyhow on the thread topic of the 3.0, I need to replace my 2.0's ball cups. They will fit the 2.0 without needing the balls them selves right?
Old 01-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #1088
Tech Adept

Quote:
Anyhow on the thread topic of the 3.0, I need to replace my 2.0's ball cups. They will fit the 2.0 without needing the balls them selves right?
Yep!

TLR 22SCT 3.0 - TLR TEN-SCTE 3.0 - TLR 22 4.0
http://www.facebook.com/NicolasEvensRCDriver
Belgian SCT Cup : http://www.facebook.com/BelgianSCTCup
sylv456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:40 PM   #1089
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Quote:

Sure the rod ends fit, but also best to get the 3.0 balls at the same time.

HW service? Read that warranty page to see if they give you a warm fuzzy about service after the sale. I had two fried HW ESCs. Even though I was willing to pay for repairs as the ESCs did last a few months, they didn't offer a repair service. Love my HW motors. They wake up on the Tekin software like they just had an energy drink

I was really impressed with how my truck handled the large triple jump at the SIC race. Balance left to right was great. It was flying straight and landing perfect level side to side. Certainly worth the effort to balance the chassis left to right. Has anyone else tried it?
Thunder Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:50 AM   #1090
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I'm waiting on Josh to make a spacer so I can buy it off him and try it 😁
DoogieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #1091
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Trail View Post
I have been reading all the post about Orion ESC and others. I would like to point out that many ESC brands will work fine. However, those nice looking ESCs don't have a service or repair facility in the USA. The Tekin RX8 is a standout in this respect with outstanding support located right here in the USA. It has frequently updated software and a reputation as good or better than anything available. Makes it hard to justify using anything else. I like the new ESC options, but until they have service and repair facility in the USA I will pass.

I feel the same way about servos. I have used many brands and most of them work fine. However, once they give up the magic your best option is the round file #13, Trash can.

There is one brand that hits all the marks. Hitec is the name you want. With a repair service center in the USA it is the only choice for the smart consumer. My favorite for the past few years has been the 7950. Its hard to beat the specs, performance or price. The 7955 is also at the top for less money. If you know of a better brand with service and repair please post it.
+1 agree 100% tekin and hitec are the best.
floyd2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #1092
Tech Initiate

Has anyone tried the Maclan Diamondback 120A esc and 4 pole 4200kv combo with this truck? Price wise it seems like an awesome deal. Tekin setup is tempting but pricey in comparison. Almost ready to order my 3.0 kit and would love any feedback.
Thanks
88 Mclaren 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #1093
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Mclaren 5.0 View Post
Has anyone tried the Maclan Diamondback 120A esc and 4 pole 4200kv combo with this truck? Price wise it seems like an awesome deal. Tekin setup is tempting but pricey in comparison. Almost ready to order my 3.0 kit and would love any feedback.
Thanks
I'm pretty sure the Maclan Diamondback is just a rebadged version of the old Viper Copperhead system. I tried one once, great price point for a system, wasnt horrible, not as smooth though due to it being non sensored. It did like to run hotter than I like though. Mind you this was in a 1.0 SCTE. A great system thats in between those two you're looking at is the Hobbywing SCT combo. Very reliable and fast. Tons of people on here run them.
DoogieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:30 PM   #1094
Tech Initiate

I wondered if that was the same combo as the old Viper. You can't beat that price though of the Maclan with esc for $100 I've never had any HW but will consider it as well. Thanks!
88 Mclaren 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:28 AM   #1095
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Mclaren 5.0 View Post
Thanks
I had the old copperhead set up in my truck for a few days . It never made anywhere near the power of a proper race system. Motor ran hot , lacked the punch I am used to , and wouldn't out perform a max pro with a 4000kv 4 pole motor.It was worth the price though for bashing around.

If you don't want to dump Tekin $ , try getting a deal on the Hobby Wing system. You can still get the old sct pro and their 4 pole motors . Go with the 4700 if there is any chance you will run outdoors on 1/8 size tracks. If not , the 4000 is ok.

Don't be scared to buy a used Tekin rx8 either . If you blow it up down the road , they will always replace it out of warranty for $130.00.

Tower still has a few of the NOVAK sc motors and controllers laying around , for the blowout prices they are a good buy. NO support though , but whatever , its cheap.

But , imo , the copperhead isn't in the same league as any of those I mentioned.

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote