Like Tree187Likes

TLR SCTE 3.0 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zzztech
Is 4/40 close to any metric sized rods?
The manual list the rod as 5/40. Any hobby shop should be able to help you find a substitute rod or bolt that will fit. Many model airplanes use standard rods for controls as most clevis and links use standard size rods. Should be very easy to locate a size that will work from a local hardware source. Will not matter if it comes from a toaster oven, tea pot or Associated RC car. Just take the rod end with you to a hardware store and match it to a size off the shelf that fits.
Hope you enjoy the new truck!
Old 12-24-2016, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thx, yeah it was 5/40 rod as in manual. Serves me rite for opening pressy before boxing day lol
Old 12-24-2016, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

I do that all year. I buy when I want or can or the deal is good. No more waiting for a box day
Old 12-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Tech Adept

After reading through the forums I just ordered this truck as opposed to the Tekno. Having previously owned the original Scte that is heavily modded and upgraded its good to see now it comes with lots of FT parts.

Does anyone knows if a HW Xerun V2.1 120A ESC is enough to handle a 5T 550 2 poles or a 540 4 poles 4500kv motor?
Get the Hobbywing SCT Pro. That's the short course ESC you want. You don't run 540 can or 2 pole motors in 4wd short course. You need to run a 550 4 pole 4300kv-4600kv will be best.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:31 PM
Tech Adept

Suffered a hiccup right off the bat building my new 3.0

The very first step requires a 7/8" threaded rod for steering arm but my bag only came with a shorter 1/2" one. I brought it in Australia, who should I contact?

Part No. LOSA6045

thx!
Mine did too. My build was horrible. Every bag was labeled wrong except 1. But the truck drives great..first step #1 is wrong. They send a 5/8 Instead of 7/8. Email Horizon and tell them.... they need to be aware of these issues so they can fix them.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Barillms
Get the Hobbywing SCT Pro. That's the short course ESC you want. You don't run 540 can or 2 pole motors in 4wd short course. You need to run a 550 4 pole 4300kv-4600kv will be best.
SMH....

The only motors that are truly legal from track to track ARE 550 2 pole motors or 540 4 pole motors. If any sort of roar racing is in the future those are your choices. The Pro 4 4600 is money ...

If in fact your tracks don't have motor rules , then the 545 and 550 4 pole motors are an option. They may not be legal everywhere you go though. (none of my tracks care , but we do have a ROAR race come through once a year )
Old 12-26-2016, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah Hobbywing needs to get a ROAR can produced at some point. That is the only thing I wish they would do. As for their 545 cans, they are hard to beat. I run two 4700's, one in my SCTE and the other in a 410.3. They run as hard as any motor I have seen and stay cool to boot.

But on that note, ROAR rules are sometime unreasonable and ridiculous to. Their SCT 2S and motor size rule is no exception. I hate it. Everyone knows these are 1/8 scale vehicles with 1/8 scale weights and power demands. ROAR needs their heads inspected for these reasons and expect to much from 1/10 systems.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh L
Yeah Hobbywing needs to get a ROAR can produced at some point. That is the only thing I wish they would do. As for their 545 cans, they are hard to beat. I run two 4700's, one in my SCTE and the other in a 410.3. They run as hard as any motor I have seen and stay cool to boot.

But on that note, ROAR rules are sometime unreasonable and ridiculous to. Their SCT 2S and motor size rule is no exception. I hate it. Everyone knows these are 1/8 scale vehicles with 1/8 scale weights and power demands. ROAR needs their heads inspected for these reasons and expect to much from 1/10 systems.
Couldn't agree more . 4wd SC outdoors should be 3s , 2wd and indoor should be 2s. That original losi 2800 blue can on 3s was a lot of fun and never broke a sweat . Could run 25c batteries all day with a POS max pro
Old 12-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Still keep one of those blue motors around for backup. It was good on 2s with big pinion gear, just not as fast as the newer motors we have now. 3 and even 4s was fast as anything available now and fun as well.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sykemike
Anybody running outdoors have a setup sheet they can share besides the stock box? I know it's winter time so I'm assuming down south would be the only place running outdoors. Thanks in advance.

start with the box set up, it's pretty good outdoors.
keep checking your ride height. had problem with my shock springs sagging.
would not hold the right ride height.

esc as fare forward as you can go and battery right up against the esc. in front.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default tlr scte 3.0 rear ride height problem

I just put the 3.0 together and was doing the basic set up in the book. The book states purple Springs in the front red in the back.I have the ride height at 26 in the front but can only get 23 in the back and that is with the shock collars all the way down. I took the shocks off and checked the rebound and everything is fine 1/2 inche of rebound checked the a arms everything is good , I reinstalled the shocks and still can only get a height of 23 in the back and that is maxed out on the shocks red Springs. Can someone help me with this.scte 3.0
Old 12-27-2016, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

It's fine. Buy 22 series Orange rears and Silver Rear Springs and tune with them. The reds are WAY too soft
Old 12-27-2016, 08:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wittyname
Couldn't agree more . 4wd SC outdoors should be 3s , 2wd and indoor should be 2s. That original losi 2800 blue can on 3s was a lot of fun and never broke a sweat . Could run 25c batteries all day with a POS max pro
Nobody should ever run 3 cell in short course. First off, it's illegal and if you ever race with 3s you are breaking the rules of the short course class. 4wd SCT is and always will be a 2 cell only class.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tommy 2 Tone
I just put the 3.0 together and was doing the basic set up in the book. The book states purple Springs in the front red in the back.I have the ride height at 26 in the front but can only get 23 in the back and that is with the shock collars all the way down. I took the shocks off and checked the rebound and everything is fine 1/2 inche of rebound checked the a arms everything is good , I reinstalled the shocks and still can only get a height of 23 in the back and that is maxed out on the shocks red Springs. Can someone help me with this.scte 3.0
It seems like a loosing battle. This was the fix for me.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/14739098-post738.html
Old 12-28-2016, 04:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Barillms
Nobody should ever run 3 cell in short course. First off, it's illegal and if you ever race with 3s you are breaking the rules of the short course class. 4wd SCT is and always will be a 2 cell only class.
It was the point we where trying to make.
We know what the rules are and both agree the rules are not the best way to go about things.
Maybe it's me, but I have never been one to go along with a thing that confounds common sense or logic without consistent questioning of it.
This is a case that I am guilty of my own hypocrisy in the effect I continue to run the class and abide by the rules. However, don't confuse the fact I think it's mildly stupid to over stress a limited system to do a thing that could be done much better on 3S for little to no extra cost.
3S systems would run longer, cooler, more powerful, and less expensive batteries could be used significantly lowering the risk of blowing one up.
I don't know how things are at your tracks, but more people blow up SCT stuff than any other class around here. Running over abundant IR stat electrical systems is a large reason why IMO.
e-fanatic likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.