R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree68Likes

Old 12-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #826
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Casper/Frank. Did you guys do any testing with 3 hole pistons in the shocks? I thought 5 holes are rare in 1/10 scale cars. Seems like maybe to get more "pack"
fordohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #827
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Ryan and I did a lot of shock testing and we went with small 5 hole pistons on a whim and found a feel we really liked in the pack and handling of this heavy truck.

The SCTE orginally came with 4 hole pistons and we played with different sizes of those for a long time. You can try 3 hole pistons and see how you like them. I think you would need some possibly with smaller holes then what is normally available for 10th scale cars but you also need to remember the SCTE is a 6lb truck where most other 10th scale cars are about 4lbs.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #828
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

From what I understood, less holes provide more pack while more holes provide a more linear feel?
What's your take on this Casper? I am interested in understanding this better from a team driver
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:47 PM   #829
Tech Prophet

Well I was told by a very respected person in the industry that smaller hole help with lower speed damping like chassis roll and weight transfer where bigger holes. You may be able to achieve similar feel in "pack" with less larger holes but more smaller holes will change how the truck rolls. I know in testing many different shock piston setups with this truck we never felt the forward bite and exit corner control from this truck before. It was an amazing feeling to get the truck to accelerate that hard and corner so well. It is all about finding a balance in roll control (low speed) and pack (high speed) damping. The multi hole pistons controlled the roll better but still provided great pack for whoops and jumps. Again remember you are dealing with a much heavier vehicle then a "typical" 10th scale car.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:42 PM   #830
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=Casper;14759516]

Well then that confirms what I suspected, just more eloquently put to be certain.
And believe you me, I definitely understand the fact standard 12mm pistons don't work for the SCTE's weight.
A good while back I was working with VRP's owner in an attempt to get those game changer pistons to work with my 2.0
I explained to him that they didn't work, even using the 2 hole hardest pistons he sold. No matter how heavy I went with the oil, it felt as though there wasn't a piston in it.
He milled me a thicker custom set to try, but still cut the two holes to large and I finally gave up trying to work it out with them.
If I would have had blanks I might have found a solution to the hole size needed, who knows.
All I know is that the most packing pistons I tried outside of the SCTE specific stock units didn't work at all with any weight oil.
Anyhow, I appreciate your input
Old 12-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #831
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Ryan and I did a lot of shock testing and we went with small 5 hole pistons on a whim and found a feel we really liked in the pack and handling of this heavy truck.

The SCTE orginally came with 4 hole pistons and we played with different sizes of those for a long time. You can try 3 hole pistons and see how you like them. I think you would need some possibly with smaller holes then what is normally available for 10th scale cars but you also need to remember the SCTE is a 6lb truck where most other 10th scale cars are about 4lbs.
Do you recall what pistons ended up in the truck you sold on here a few months back ? I ended up with that truck and really enjoy it. Its the best suspension set up I have had on a sc truck .

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:41 PM   #832
Tech Prophet

It should have had custom 5 hole drilled pistons that TLR later came out with in the 3.0.

You would have to open the shocks verify. If they are 5 hole they are the 1.0 and 1.1 pistons. If they are 4 hole I will have to look back through my notes.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:51 PM   #833
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

After reading through the forums I just ordered this truck as opposed to the Tekno. Having previously owned the original Scte that is heavily modded and upgraded its good to see now it comes with lots of FT parts.

Does anyone knows if a HW Xerun V2.1 120A ESC is enough to handle a 5T 550 2 poles or a 540 4 poles 4500kv motor?
zzztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:05 AM   #834
Tech Addict

The 2.1 should be ok with running either of those motors, but that would be more dependent on overall IR loads from the battery and gearing more so than it would from a more capable ESC. If I had that ESC and nothing else I would at least run a cap pack with it to prevent ripple/noise better than it would alone.
The unfortunate part about that ESC is it's weak BEC with only 6v @ 3 amps output.
The new HW XR8 SCT just came out and can be had for $109 new. It also has a 7.4v BEC for HV servos and no chance of getting a brownout.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:15 AM   #835
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Anyone have setup sheets to share. Not much available for some reason.
Thunder Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #836
Tech Prophet

http://www.casper-rc.com/TLR_Ten-SCTE.htm

Old 12-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #837
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I walked into that one Casper.

I should have said new 3.0 chassis setups we have yet see.
Thunder Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #838
Tech Prophet

To be honest the last couple on that list are actually 3.0 setups as we were already running the new parts!

Old 12-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #839
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzztech View Post
After reading through the forums I just ordered this truck as opposed to the Tekno. Having previously owned the original Scte that is heavily modded and upgraded its good to see now it comes with lots of FT parts.

Does anyone knows if a HW Xerun V2.1 120A ESC is enough to handle a 5T 550 2 poles or a 540 4 poles 4500kv motor?
Hi Z,

For what it's worth I'm running a HW 2.1 120A w/ a Castle 1410 4 pole 3800 and no issues.
TBSSJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #840
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzztech View Post

It should be OK. I'm running orion r10.1 pair with orion 550 2 pole it's beast I kicked out hobbywing,tekin gen2 with 4300kv, castle everyone my local track they asking me what esc do you have and motor i said 2 pole 550 and orion
raved007 is offline   Reply With Quote