R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree59Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #541
Tech Prophet
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 17,694
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordohio View Post
Casper are you running the 59mm rear pins?
I am still running my converted 2.0 so yes. I have not built a new 3.0 yet.

As for Thunder that was the 10th scale electric track. 4X4 SCT runs with the electric 8th scales. It was a bumpy dirt track not a groomed indoor clay track.



http://www.liverc.com/photos/albums/...oad_Nationals/
__________________
TLR/Losi Team Driver
TLR/Losi | Tekin | DE Racing | Spektrum | Exotek | JBRL | Kolor Koncepts | OC/RC |Sticky Kicks | Imagine It Graphics | Casper-RC.com
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR 22-4 2.0, TLR Ten-SCTE 3.0, Spektrum DX6R

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:02 PM   #542
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 580
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I am still running my converted 2.0 so yes. I have not built a new 3.0 yet.

As for Thunder that was the 10th scale electric track. 4X4 SCT runs with the electric 8th scales. It was a bumpy dirt track not a groomed indoor clay track.



http://www.liverc.com/photos/albums/...oad_Nationals/
Yeah, the track above is Stateline in Indiana. His setup says he was running Double Dee's so that is a pretty rough outdoor track. It may actually be rougher than ours, we typically run blockades or impacts.

Thunder - was the set up that you used Maifield's from Stateline?
rccars4scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #543
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thats a sweet pic! Looks mean all hunched down
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #544
TLRacing
 
Frank Root's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corona, CA, USA
Posts: 5,365
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Trail View Post
I tried Maifields setup on our outdoor track. It was totally garbage. After looking at the track he raced on where cars left the track looking like they never ran a lap I now know why his setup was no good for a true dirt track.

You have to keep in mind that the tracks the factory guys race on most of the time is closer to pavement than dirt. Take a look at the pics. Just about any soft slick tire would hookup on that stuff. Road course with jumps. Looks fun, but not like tracks many of us race on.

http://rcinsider.com/2016-roar-110th...-track-layout/
https://www.hobbykicks.com/story/201...to-qualifying/
You're looking at the wrong nationals...

This was the track the SCTE won the Nationals at.
http://blog.jconcepts.net/2016/07/ro...sct-nationals/
__________________
Frank Root -- TLR Project Manager
Twitter - @FrankRoot FB - facebook.com/FrankRootTLR
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #545
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mc Rae, AR
Posts: 1,312
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccars4scott View Post
Yeah, the track above is Stateline in Indiana. His setup says he was running Double Dee's so that is a pretty rough outdoor track. It may actually be rougher than ours, we typically run blockades or impacts.

Thunder - was the set up that you used Maifield's from Stateline?
Yes Sir, but I moved my front mounted lipo back and forth with the smaller increments where holders bolt in trying to make it work along with other changes. Have yet to test lipo in rear position and that is where I run it in my dialed 2.0. I have more things to test once I get my new front springs installed, arrived today. Have to buy set of 3 to get those Purples unless I overlooked it. My fronts are not same left to right and have sagged some. I can't totally rule out the possibility of the lipo working up front until I get suspension to hold settings more than a couple runs. That setup from Stateline RC Raceway did not work for me. Might be best to start with box setup, but I'm slowly testing all of it as Pro4 class is the class I spend 100% of my time and effort on.
Thunder Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:37 AM   #546
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: parma, ohio
Posts: 203
Default

thunder trail i'm right where you are with testing.

i finally get to race this truck outdoors again this weekend.
i'm back to the kit set up, with new rr red springs and purple fr springs.
esc is as far forward as it will go. will play with the battery moving back.
also i have the motor straight. i have only ran it with the motor angled.
it should be pretty good and hold the set-up for the whole race day now.
floyd2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #547
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 580
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Could you guys clarify the discussion about the truck not holding the setup? Is that primarily due to spring sag and if so, does buying red and purple non kit springs solve the problem? Are there other issues with the truck holding the set up? Thanks!
rccars4scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #548
TLRacing
 
Frank Root's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corona, CA, USA
Posts: 5,365
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccars4scott View Post
Could you guys clarify the discussion about the truck not holding the setup? Is that primarily due to spring sag and if so, does buying red and purple non kit springs solve the problem? Are there other issues with the truck holding the set up? Thanks!
Just be sure to have +4mm cups front and rear (some kits had 2 of each), and you'll be fine.
__________________
Frank Root -- TLR Project Manager
Twitter - @FrankRoot FB - facebook.com/FrankRootTLR
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #549
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: parma, ohio
Posts: 203
Default

i have only raced the truck a couple times but yes what you are asking
has been my expirence.

the early kits seemed to have weaker shock springs and didn't come with 4 +4
shock cups. mine come with 2 short and 2 +4 cups.
floyd2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #550
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London UK
Posts: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd2810 View Post
i have only raced the truck a couple times but yes what you are asking
has been my expirence.

the early kits seemed to have weaker shock springs and didn't come with 4 +4
shock cups. mine come with 2 short and 2 +4 cups.
Agreed. I switched to AE springs as I run them on my 22 as well and they have been very consistent. I still have mismatched spring cups but not a problem with the AE springs.
cutting42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #551
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mc Rae, AR
Posts: 1,312
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd2810 View Post
thunder trail i'm right where you are with testing.

i finally get to race this truck outdoors again this weekend.
i'm back to the kit set up, with new rr red springs and purple fr springs.
esc is as far forward as it will go. will play with the battery moving back.
also i have the motor straight. i have only ran it with the motor angled.
it should be pretty good and hold the set-up for the whole race day now.
That's good, testing with good parts is a must. I have plans for all day testing Sunday myself. May have to start testing with 2.0 suspension.

I am disappointed to report what I have received in my new front spring package yesterday. Last night I went straight for the Purple springs and installed them. Then I was looking over the other springs and noticed I have a spring with brown and purple paint. Brown painted over the purple with 1/4 of the purple exposed or the brown flaked off it. Kinda threw my tools up in the air and walked away.

Advertised spring rates with color and rate should be on the package.... not
Purple 4.4 lbs./in

Brown 4.7 lbs./in

Light Blue 5.0 lbs./in

So I had some ice cream, my fix, and too much of it lately. Then I decided to test them all. I set up my gram scale with two fixed points on either side and a ruler across the top to compress the springs. The questionable BROWN/PURPLE spring is even softer than the Purple springs. What the hell is going on with these spring issues? Another Ice Scream break

The Blue springs are nearly perfect as they all should be. The two springs with only Purple paint are not exactly the same, off about 15 grams. That might be as good as it gets. I spent a long time measuring the Brown and Brown/Purple spring and comparing them with others. I also checked wire thickness and they all are about the same diameter. Coil count seems random. Having two springs of same color with same coil count seems to be part of the problem.

I'm frustrated. There was a time when you opened a bag of Losi parts, springs included, and never questioned the quality. Things have changed globally and this may be the result. This might be consider whining by some people, but that is not how I want anyone to look at it. I much rather the TLR guys take this info and fix the problem and keep us informed of said fix. I don't know if that ever happens. I always respect efforts to fix things and make them right and I'm sure others do as well. Having one spring issue can be overlooked, but having multiple spring issues is not OK.

After all these spring problems I plan to test my tuning springs for my 2.0. Then I will look into some AE, Avid or Kyosho springs for my 3.0. That should not be necessary, but I have grown tired of beating my head against the same wall expecting a different or better result.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
Agreed. I switched to AE springs as I run them on my 22 as well and they have been very consistent. I still have mismatched spring cups but not a problem with the AE springs.
Please share part numbers, rates and what you like in the AE selection.

If anyone has recommendations for alternative springs please share.
Thunder Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:55 AM   #552
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,225
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
Agreed. I switched to AE springs as I run them on my 22 as well and they have been very consistent. I still have mismatched spring cups but not a problem with the AE springs.
Don't think AE spring works i tried using 4mm spring cup i too short in the front can't get the 28mm right height spring colar is all the way down. For rear i use Kyosho super hard spring/red.
raved007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:59 AM   #553
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill Tn
Posts: 791
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raved007 View Post
Don't think AE spring works i tried using 4mm spring cup i too short in the front can't get the 28mm right height spring colar is all the way down. For rear i use Kyosho super hard spring/red.
28?????? thought kit suggested and Mayfield approved was 25-26.
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:51 AM   #554
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: parma, ohio
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Trail View Post
That's good, testing with good parts is a must. I have plans for all day testing Sunday myself. May have to start testing with 2.0 suspension.

I am disappointed to report what I have received in my new front spring package yesterday. Last night I went straight for the Purple springs and installed them. Then I was looking over the other springs and noticed I have a spring with brown and purple paint. Brown painted over the purple with 1/4 of the purple exposed or the brown flaked off it. Kinda threw my tools up in the air and walked away.

Advertised spring rates with color and rate should be on the package.... not
Purple 4.4 lbs./in

Brown 4.7 lbs./in

Light Blue 5.0 lbs./in

So I had some ice cream, my fix, and too much of it lately. Then I decided to test them all. I set up my gram scale with two fixed points on either side and a ruler across the top to compress the springs. The questionable BROWN/PURPLE spring is even softer than the Purple springs. What the hell is going on with these spring issues? Another Ice Scream break

The Blue springs are nearly perfect as they all should be. The two springs with only Purple paint are not exactly the same, off about 15 grams. That might be as good as it gets. I spent a long time measuring the Brown and Brown/Purple spring and comparing them with others. I also checked wire thickness and they all are about the same diameter. Coil count seems random. Having two springs of same color with same coil count seems to be part of the problem.

I'm frustrated. There was a time when you opened a bag of Losi parts, springs included, and never questioned the quality. Things have changed globally and this may be the result. This might be consider whining by some people, but that is not how I want anyone to look at it. I much rather the TLR guys take this info and fix the problem and keep us informed of said fix. I don't know if that ever happens. I always respect efforts to fix things and make them right and I'm sure others do as well. Having one spring issue can be overlooked, but having multiple spring issues is not OK.

After all these spring problems I plan to test my tuning springs for my 2.0. Then I will look into some AE, Avid or Kyosho springs for my 3.0. That should not be necessary, but I have grown tired of beating my head against the same wall expecting a different or better result.




Please share part numbers, rates and what you like in the AE selection.

If anyone has recommendations for alternative springs please share.

i agree, just squeezing them with my fingers the blue springs
do feel the stiffest. i have an older pair of the purple that feel
the stiffest of all the front springs i'm gonna try them today.
well off to the track i go...
floyd2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #555
Tech Fanatic
 
sykemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: evans georgia
Posts: 764
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Updates?

Any new updates on diff fluids, motor placement for outdoor track?
sykemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:34 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net