Search
Like Tree187Likes

TLR SCTE 3.0 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tvih
Most likely. The SC10 4x4 doesn't go very far at all when "coasting." Truly a night and day difference to the SC10 RS, but of course any 2WD will have far less drag than any 4WD.

I talked to another Finnish driver who uses the 4300kv version of this motor on his SCTE, he said he uses 16t in his and thus suggested a 18-19t for me... I guess that could work as a starting point too. Luckily pinions aren't all so expensive if it does go a bit wrong. It's just that if I go to the race with the SCTE, I likely won't be able to test the car and pinion and prior to going on location, except for a quick test on concrete outside my apartment building, which doesn't say much about actual track speed/performance. Damned weather around here making track days far and few between!
There is only one way to know what works. Test it.

I can't say the pinion gears are cheap. When you get a box of them that fit several rigs and cover range in each pitch you have invested a few hundred dollars. You need to replace them about once a year or two depending on track conditions and luck with the pebbles. When you decide on the gear you use most a spare gear is sure to be next. Nature of the beast.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, my driving hasn't been very active so far for various reasons, probably well under 100 hours total in the last ~32 months since I started, but the only time I've replaced a pinion for "wear" so far was because for some reason on the very first one on my B5M the locking screw threads got shredded. I don't really buy spare pinions generally - I just buy one and stick with it. Though I did "break that tradition" the other day by buying a bigger pinion for the B5M to boost the top speed a bit. But at most it'd be a couple pinions for each of my 3 (well, 4 once I get the SCTE) main cars, and each pinion costs only a fiver. Compare that to the Novak ESC I just fried (for the second time...) and it is peanuts :P

Anyway, two days to go to making the order, I just hope the payment plan gets approved or no new shiny car for me after all!
Old 07-30-2017, 01:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Got to test a local driver's SCTE 3.0 at the track today. While a comparison is a bit unfair in that the SCTE was properly race-tuned while mine is basically "it is what it is", it was definitely easier and more stable drive than my SC10 4x4. Especially jumps were much easier to control. After the first lap I was already putting what at least felt like slightly more consistent laps (no timing so can't be sure) with the SCTE compared to the SC10 4x4.

Definitely looking forward to getting one of my own, if the order falls through on Tuesday, then I'll probably have to wait 'til December, but certainly gonna get one regardless.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tvih

Anyway, back to the SCTE... it seems the 3.0 comes with a 40t mod1 spur. My motor is the Hobbywing Xerun 3660SD G2 3600kv. What would be a good pinion choice to get started with? Only have 32dp and 48dp pinions at the moment.
Im running hw xr8 sct pro and 4300kv G2 engine and using 16t pinion, so I think You need to go 18t or 19t with that 3600kv engine to get it going anywhere.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail
I just wanted to say, that has got to be the most custom shock set up I have ever heard of. At the same time its the most odd ball setup. Is this working for you racing? Faster lap times? Less crashes because it soaks up 1/8 scale track jumps and pot holes?

I think it would traction roll on the tracks I race on with so much uptravel unloading in corners. Even so, I know if you put in the effort you can make just about anything work.

Personally, I have found the 2.0 springs on the 22 style shocks to be the best option currently available. Lap times are down and my long term highly developed 2.0 truck has met it's match.

However, I'm sure there is a little more on the table if I installed the shocks and rear tower from the 3.0 truck to my 2.0 rig. I may do just that in the future to see if the shocks along with the already installed 3.0 front suspension can make the truck worthy of turning the same or faster lap times. My 2.0 truck is lighter by 25g, so they are about the same. I believe if your 2.0 is in good shape, the front suspension off the 3.0 can get you close without buying the new truck. I like them both for different reasons. After so much time and effort on the 2.0 it will continue getting track time and offer backup service if needed.

So the carbon fiber rear shock tower from the 3.0 fits directly onto he 2.0?
Is there any differences or are they the same fit? Looks like there is different amount of camber holes on them. But main thing I'm trying to figure out if the 3.0 carbon fiber shock tower fits directly onto the scte 2.0
Old 08-04-2017, 02:18 AM
ASA
Tech Adept

They are the same gearboxes so I would asume the shock tower fitment is the same.....im sure Casper will tune in to verify for ya
Old 08-04-2017, 06:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Kit is here... building time!

The part I'm least looking forward to is the vent holes in the body. Man, I really hate doing those.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ASA
They are the same gearboxes so I would asume the shock tower fitment is the same.....im sure Casper will tune in to verify for ya
Ok thanks yea I thought the gearboxes are the same but yea just wanna know for sure if the shock towers on the 2.0 and 3.0 are the same. The 3.0 ones are actually a lot cheaper. If anyone knows 100 percent let me know Thanks

Last edited by jersey; 08-04-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

See page 99 post 1481. Keep this in mind when shopping parts or needing a spare from someone at the track. Lots of options for parts and I think that makes it easy to find parts.

R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR SCTE 3.0 Thread
Old 08-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kipsi1980
Im running hw xr8 sct pro and 4300kv G2 engine and using 16t pinion, so I think You need to go 18t or 19t with that 3600kv engine to get it going anywhere.
He needs a higher KV. A 3600 is way too low.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jersey
So the carbon fiber rear shock tower from the 3.0 fits directly onto he 2.0?
Is there any differences or are they the same fit? Looks like there is different amount of camber holes on them. But main thing I'm trying to figure out if the 3.0 carbon fiber shock tower fits directly onto the scte 2.0
They should fit. But the 2.0 standoffs probably won't fit thru the holes. The 3.0 uses small 22 standoffs.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

There is only one way to know what works. Test it.

I can't say the pinion gears are cheap. When you get a box of them that fit several rigs and cover range in each pitch you have invested a few hundred dollars. You need to replace them about once a year or two depending on track conditions and luck with the pebbles. When you decide on the gear you use most a spare gear is sure to be next. Nature of the beast.
You will need a 13t thru 15t pinion. Anything higher than a 15t isn't necessary... I run a 4300 on a Huge outdoor track with a 14 tooth.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PorTX
If someone has their stock SCTE body handy. Can you please measure the width, length and approx wheelbase? Left my stuff at the track and trying to decide which aftermarket bodies will work.
Any body will work. All bodies are the same size.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

See page 99 post 1481. Keep this in mind when shopping parts or needing a spare from someone at the track. Lots of options for parts and I think that makes it easy to find parts.

R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR SCTE 3.0 Thread
Thanks for the link I read it. So they fit on the gear box but the shock bolts don't fit in? Or are you not sure. Thanks
Old 08-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Barillms
They should fit. But the 2.0 standoffs probably won't fit thru the holes. The 3.0 uses small 22 standoffs.
So are the standoffs are they the post bolts that connect the shocks into shock tower? So the 3.0 has smaller holes in the shock tower for the shock bolts? Thanks for getting back to me.
I broke my rear shock tower on scte 2.0. And the scte 3.0 shock towers are cheaper so if I can get away with that I will buy it or would I need to Dremel the holes bigger for the shock mounting bolts?

Thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.