Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New to electric, with questions. >

New to electric, with questions.

New to electric, with questions.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New to electric, with questions.

Hi all, new to the forum, and brushless systems. First off, my Kit. Old Xray XB8 in very good shape mechanically. I converted it to Brushless with the RCMonster motor mount, Novak Activ8 V2 ESC, and HD8 2200 KV motor, running 4s 4500Mah 50C batteries. I finally got everything cleaned, lubed, and installed. Took it for it's shake down run, and it works great, except for heat. I started off on pavement, with a 17t pinion, and stock 46t spur. Without the body, motor temps ran pretty stable at 140 degrees. With the body on, it went up to 150 degrees, and stable, with the ambient temp at around 90 degrees, on back to back hard, full throttle pulls. The motor instructions say anything below 170 degrees is good. I then took it to a baseball field, and played around in the infield. Hard packed dirt, with very fine gravel. Still, the temps stayed around 150 degrees, so I did some drifting. Nothing more than say, half throttle. I played until the lipo cutoff kicked in, and brought it back. Took a temp reading, and it was up to 190 degrees! YIKES! So, my question is, should I go down to a 15t pinion? Add motor fans? I am on the most basic setting on the ESC. Drag brake off, minimum brake at 1, Brake frequency 5, O degrees of timing, and dynamic timing is off. I had the mesh set as I always have, with a nitro engine. Any ideas why the temp spiked on dirt? Any info, or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (78%+)

I think running it until lipo cutoff would be your biggest culprit
Old 07-11-2016, 08:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Loose dirt=going fast nowhere. Burning energy and power spinning tires. Yes it has to do with running your car on loose dirt. I would consider lowering your gearing a bit to a 15. Cheapest way to keep it cool since your bashing is to run it for a bit and let it cool or constantly monitor your temps. I can suggest to run with zero timing on the motor. Is a 4 pole motor and for what I understand 4 poles don't like timing advance. That's one reason most 4 pole motors don't offer end bell timing. But main thing is... easy on the throttle on loose dirt... Lots of wheel spin looks cool but contributes to burning motors and esc's.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Questions?? TOO HOT?

Gear down or go back to 3S.
That is a HIGH KV motor. A lesser motor with more voltage=less heat.
I run a 1650 KV on 5S=no problem with heat,until I over gear it.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yeah, a 17t is way too big. I run a 15T in my XB8E 16 with a 1900kv motor on 4s. 17T with a 2200kv is way to much.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I picked up a 15t and a 13t pinion today, and hopefully, I'll get to try it out tomorrow. Thanks for all the help!