Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 2WD Buggy Basher

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/10 2WD Buggy Basher

Which of these 2wd buggies would make for the most durable basher? Or is there another buggy more durable that I should consider?

Xray Xb2
AE B5M
Yokomo yz-2
Kyosho Ultima RB6
Serpent spyder srx-2 mm
Losi 22 2.0
Old 07-05-2016, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LeadHeadz
Which of these 2wd buggies would make for the most durable basher? Or is there another buggy more durable that I should consider?

Xray Xb2
AE B5M
Yokomo yz-2
Kyosho Ultima RB6
Serpent spyder srx-2 mm
Losi 22 2.0
For a basher, of course durability is an issue... But it's a basher, so you will break something. I don't think any of those have glaring weakness compared to another. So I'd pick something affordable, but most importantly with local parts support if possible, wide parts distribution network, and not crazy expensive replacement parts. For most in the US, that narrows it to the Associated or Losi. The benefit of the 22 2.0 is you can set it up rear motor, which is pretty fun bashing on loose dirt.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i have the xb2, yz2 and the 22 2.0

i think the xb2 is the nicest, but the hardest to get parts for. the yz2 is a close second.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your input… could we say then that all of the buggies listed are basically interchangeable in terms of durability?

B5M or Yokomo yz-2 seem to be the way to go, as they look the coolest to me, and are cheaper than the XB2.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LeadHeadz
Thanks for your input… could we say then that all of the buggies listed are basically interchangeable in terms of durability?

B5M or Yokomo yz-2 seem to be the way to go, as they look the coolest to me, and are cheaper than the XB2.
I believe the Yokomo parts are only available from Amain. I shop a lot from them, but just something to be aware of if there's a limited distribution in the US.

The TLR 22 2.0 looks kind of old school, but you can throw a cab-forward body on it and you'll have the look you want. Plus you can build it rear motor, which is probably what I would do for bashing.

Oh! You wouldn't want the Yokomo for bashing because there is no gear cover. It's designed for turf, carpet, and indoor clay where you can get away without a cover. I think you'd be asking for trouble as a basher though, as loose dirt and dust will find its way to your slipper, spur, and pinion.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

yokomo and xb2 are just not bashers. they're far too expensive, nice, race oriented, and hard/expensive to get parts for.

i would get the TLR 22 2.0 as discussed.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i am not a racer, i guess technically i am a basher ??? i will say though, I dont destroy my stuff, i drive it up and down the parking lot and jump the little grass ramp thing there. I dont drive it in dirt or sand. mostly on concrete. i have never broken anything on my xb2 or yokomo and i have flipped it a few times on accident and they are solid.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Callaway
The TLR 22 2.0 looks kind of old school, but you can throw a cab-forward body on it and you'll have the look you want. Plus you can build it rear motor, which is probably what I would do for bashing.
I do think the Losi looks cool as well, but I've read such conflicting opinions about durability and wear characteristics of TLR stuff in general that I shy away from that one, hence its position at the bottom of my list…. but I like the 2.0 looks/chassis. I should probably get a couple different buggies… surely a good idea.

Originally Posted by Callaway
Oh! You wouldn't want the Yokomo for bashing because there is no gear cover. It's designed for turf, carpet, and indoor clay where you can get away without a cover. I think you'd be asking for trouble as a basher though, as loose dirt and dust will find its way to your slipper, spur, and pinion.
Hmm, that sounds like something to consider, thanks.

Originally Posted by rekim
i am not a racer, i guess technically i am a basher ??? i will say though, I dont destroy my stuff, i drive it up and down the parking lot and jump the little grass ramp thing there. I dont drive it in dirt or sand. mostly on concrete. i have never broken anything on my xb2 or yokomo and i have flipped it a few times on accident and they are solid.
That is pretty much what I'll be doing - in the street, on concrete…. maybe some hard packed dirt, desert environments, too.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

TLR has great durability, available everywhere... mid or rear motor and has a gear cover.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've got two Serpent SRX 1 mid motor and 1 rear motor for sale with extras. They're pretty bombproof and share a lot of the same parts. $275 for both. Pm me if interested.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Cheap and durable and with parts easily found: I like the other posters' suggestions of a 22 2.0. You can also have some fun customizing it a bit for not too much cost. Exotek and other companies still sell aluminum hop ups for it.

Items like aluminum motor plates, steering assemblies and spring perches add a lot of visual fun, and can be found from roughly $12 - $25.00.

I bet if you're patient and look around on the RCTECH for sale forum you could find a 22 2.0 with some nice hop ups already installed for $150 for less. I just did a search and saw one that was offered at $125.00 that came with some neat bits (but it has sold).

Good luck.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Further thought: Do you like Stadium Trucks? You could also find a 22 2.0 stadium truck. The big wheels and tires make them a little better on the bashing side as they can more easily navigate obstacles (think garden hoses, rocks, paving stones) and make use of almost all of the same hop-up parts available for the buggies.

The big tires also act like bumpers for bad landings.