R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Which .12 for off-road???? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/95023-12-off-road.html)

bob_capo 12-25-2005 08:16 PM

Which .12 for off-road????

I have an AD2 with an OS CVR .12 in it. It is getting tired and I think I want to try something different. Now that I have a pocket full of LHS gift certs. I am trying to figure out what to buy. The CVR ran good but I am tired of getting pulled down the straights. I know a guy who has a Fantom FR .12 that is fast and seems to run well, there also seems to be alot of guys running the Trinity sirio drake .12. These 2 interest me the most just because I have seen them. But what about the new "Drake motors" and the OS TZ. I haven't seen either of these run but the TZ's specs look pretty good. The Rossi motors also look good but my LHS doesn't really deal with them because of price I guess. Let me know what you think, Bob

SavageSYNTH25 12-25-2005 09:32 PM

If you want to get a Drake motor, get the original Sirio Drake, not the new one. It isn't really smooth enough for offroad. The original is a great, smooth motor.

The Fantoms are decent motors, but they don't last very long. I ran 2 gallons through mine before it started leaking all over the place and had to be rebuilt. If your LHS stocks parts for it, get one, but otherwise, stay away.

The TZ's are nice, but once again, they aren't too smooth for offroad. IF you run a bluegroove track, then that's fine, but our tight indoor track takes a smooth engine. I run a Novarossi MT12 with an OS carb for practice and club racing because it is a powerful smooth motor, and I run a Sirio Evo 2 with an OS carb during major races because it always holds a tune and gets slightly better gas mileage than the Novarossi.

If you want to stick with OS, get the .12 TR. Those motors are great, and very underrated. They make more bottom end power than top end, but are very smooth and are easy to tune. I know lots of guys that run these, and for the most part, they are more consistent than I am with my Novarossi (just because their engines hold a more consistent tune-I'm always playing with mine)

The Rossi motors are more "onroad" motors, but they do make a lot of power. The catch is that they are finicky to tune and require a lot of patience. They do last a long time though, 5-6 gallons on average.

Bottom line, I would suggest the following:

Sirio Evo 2
Novarossi MT12
OS .12TR

bob_capo 12-26-2005 05:47 AM

I guess that is why the Fantoms price is so reasonable. I had a TR that I got in a trade and it was a nice motor but I think they stopped making it. My first choice is probably going to be the sirio but I am looking for other suggestions too.

jbrow1 12-26-2005 07:53 AM

Seems like alot of guys like the sirio in there losis. I thought they stopped making the TR also. And I've really not heard good things about the Tz line. I race with an mt .12 also. Great power and very driveable. I've had no tuning probs with mine at all and I was surprised. But all summer long it only needed minor adjustments here and there to the high speed needle.

Savage, I've got an os carb adapter for the mt .12 I'll sell ya for ten bucks.

Sofast-NT 12-26-2005 10:02 AM

I would go with the MT-12.They are really smooth,fuel mileage is great(11 min.).

I don't know about the Sirio,but I've heard they don't last to long.

I wouldn't get the TR if I rebuild motors,since parts will be hard because they have been discontinued.

A O.S. 12 TZ is in my AD2 right know.I personally think it is smooth with all the power it delivers.Power is awesone,sick bottom and top end, but that isn't always fast and consistent.

bob_capo 12-26-2005 10:22 AM

Who makes the Mt-12?? Novarossi?? I went on there website and I didn't see it. Does it come with a rotary carb or do I have to change it?? and how much are they?? Also has anyone run a black pixi or are they just for on-road?? Also, what about the peak Diablo?? Stormer has them on sale for an almost irresistable price.

jbrow1 12-26-2005 10:48 AM

The mt .12 has had a name change, but is made by novarossi. You can get them with the rotary carb. I don't remember the new name. I think sofast might. There is a post around here somewhere that says. I've heard some good things about the diablo, but not from anybody I know or would trust a decision on. What are they going for now? I think at one time they were blowing them out for like 70 bux. I shoulda bought one just to try it.

SavageSYNTH25 12-26-2005 02:10 PM

The new name for the old engine is Novarossi RN12. Get the rotary carb version, it is great. The motors last a long time, I just ran mine today and it was very consistent.

The black Pixi is absolutely an onroad motor, the only Pixi I would recommend is the standard 3 port, and that is if you run on a blue groove track. The TR's are great (and rebuildable) because I have seen them built up with Novarossi internals. From what i've seen, they work perfectly.

Stay away from the Diablo, it is just a rebadged version of the Epic and Orion cheap-o motors, and is not worth the money. Get the MT12, everyone you will talk to should like it. Sirios are great as well.

jbrow1: PM me about the carb adapter, I'll probably buy it. Is it Lunsford or Hardcore?

SavageSYNTH25 12-26-2005 02:14 PM

So Fast, doesn't Chris Pace run a Sirio Evo? Whatever motor he was running today, he was quick.

I'll also have to agree with you on fuel milage for the Mt: I ran 13 minutes today at CRCC, about 28-31 second laps as well. That's a little better than the OS engines, IMO..........

I never got any traction at CRCC running a TZ, it is just too much motor for me.

David Alberico 12-28-2005 08:49 AM

there is only really one way to go and that is with an OS TR or TZ, th best most reliable and under $200 new.

Sofast-NT 12-28-2005 12:00 PM

Chris usually runs a TZ.Thats what he has been running at Lances.

Were you at the Fall Nitrofest this year?

Land Bowyer

SavageSYNTH25 12-28-2005 08:35 PM

I was, I didn't run though due to no parts being available for my truck. I was hanging out in Joe Ellises Fun House (I mean trailer LOL)

SavageSYNTH25 12-28-2005 08:36 PM

Bob Capo, I'll sell you a Novarossi MT-12 if you are interested in one. It has a polished head and has less than 1/2 gallon through, and it is already race tuned.........