Wiki Posts
Search

If you were to buy new???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default If you were to buy new???

I am looking at changing over to Nitro off-road. I have been in electric for over 20 years now and have never done anything with nitro. I have watched nitro mature over the years and have a lot of confidence in the products today over those of days gone by. So as I prepare to make the leap I hope to get some good honest help from you all on here. I am looking at buying new and want to buy something that is fairly well supported and fairly reliable. I know that is bold and I know we all have our favorites, but I also know we often see something we like better on something that we didnt buy. So the real question is what would you buy if you were buying a new nitro off-road?

Other considerations are. I am doing this as a hobby and have no intention of running on a regional or national level, only on the local level. So what I mean by that is I dont want to drop 3k on a buggy to run at the local track.

I have done some reading on here and I am thinking the Jammin X1-CR buggy with the RB Concept S5 motor.

What do you all think of this combo and do you think on a local level I will enjoy it?!

Shawn
Old 12-27-2005, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

I had the same combo and it was great. The S5 has tons of low to mid range and works great on small to medium or tight/technical tracks. You won't be disapointed with this combo.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

Default I am hoping

Thanks Tazz for the input.

Shawn
Old 12-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds good to me. I have a XB8 with a S5 so just buy the kit that appeals to you the most, they're all pretty top notch.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Default Really!

AWOL,
Do you really feel that way? "(just buy the kit that appeals to you the most, they're all pretty top notch.)" If I could get a good say Avenger or a Storm or an older MP I would do just fine you think???

I really would like to get the best bang for the buck but if I can buy a good used kit I would.

Your input is appreicated.

Shawn
Old 12-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

There are alot of good buggies out there today so I would just get what most people run at your track or what the LHS carries parts for.If you got an older mp like a Kanai 2 like I have you'll do just fine.The only reason I am getting the SP2 is cause nobody sells parts for it.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitman
AWOL,
Do you really feel that way? "(just buy the kit that appeals to you the most, they're all pretty top notch.)" If I could get a good say Avenger or a Storm or an older MP I would do just fine you think???

I really would like to get the best bang for the buck but if I can buy a good used kit I would.

Your input is appreicated.

Shawn
Sure I feel that way. Don't get an Avenger or a Storm or an older Kyosho. You're better off getting one of the newer kits if not for the latest designs but because parts are easier to come by. My local track www.tiltyard.com carries xray so I bought a xb8. Now he carries kyosho and jammin parts so those would be good choices too. Lots of people are selling used xb8s, mugen mbx5s, jammin cars, etc so you can get a good price there too.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Default Thanks again

AWOL,

Thanks again for the great input. Let you buds know in the central VA area know I am looking. I live in the Hampton area. And would be willing to drive to get a good deal on a good car. Let them know then let me know.

Shawn
Old 12-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Hitman,

Have you raced at Coyote in Lexington, Ky?

By the way get what your LHS has most parts of.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Default Kyracer

No sir i have not raced in KY. Never raced anywhere outside of Europe, Japan and East Coast. Ran some practice in Ohio once but nothing any closer than that.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

They are all very similar performance,some just offer better performance.

I would personally pick either a X-1 or a Kyosho SP2.I have had a Jammin and it was really good,but I decided to try a Mp777 and it is awesome.

Motor-I like P-5s and the Collari B-7.The B-7 has CRAZYYYYYYYY POwaH! Nah,The B-7 is more than enough motor,the powerband is really nice.

Goodluck
Old 12-28-2005, 12:50 PM

Trader Rating: 130 (100%+)

I just bought the X1 CR Pro and it has so many features for the money, I think it takes the cake. Engine: Novarossi P5. Take care of it and it will take care of you to the tune of 7 to 10 gallons. Insane low end and very fast. Just my .02
Old 12-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (95%+)

i have a mayhem buggy that i bought RTR then have since upgraded it,i like this buggy for several reasons it is very easy to work on,there is almost every "pro" upgrade available out there for it now and they are all very affordable.

im running the OS VZB V-Spec .21 in it and i love this motor buddy is running the same buggy but with a rex 421b in it and it easily stays with him running in the 210 range.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I would say with 1/8 scale you could get any of the kits and be happy with it as long as the $$$ to buy it didn't bother you. Since you said just club racing I would suggest the Ofna jammin. Seems to be a good price and a great car. I've never read it, but the extreme r/c magazine shootout, they pretty much loved it up. If you can afford a mugen prospec or a 777sp2 and spending the dough doesn't bother you, then get either one. Racers always want the best and most proven, but the budget also dictates what they end up with. Kyosho parts aren't readily available like mugen and ofna though. I hear you can call up kyosho america and get parts but I've never done so myself. I run a K3 and am more than happy with it for the racing I do. My buddy runs a prospec and it's not like he's leaving me in the dirt with it.

My suggestion is to get the best motor you can though. In nitro, the engine you run makes the hobby extremely fun and rewarding, or a complete headache. I hear so many guys say they are going to sell their stuff just b/c of a problematic motor. I'm getting a P5 for this summer. After running a novarossi in my 1/10 scale I'm hooked on their performance and durability/reliability. I hear to many stories about os crank bearings in their big blocks and a high dollar engine getting only 2 to 3 gallons of life out of it. The least I've heard of a P5 is 5 gallons. That's plenty enough for me.