Stripped  Screw - Rear Hanger >

Stripped Screw - Rear Hanger

Stripped Screw - Rear Hanger

Old 06-24-2016, 01:07 AM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Stripped Screw - Rear Hanger

Thx in advance. Stripped out 1 of 2 rear hanger screws on my buggy. Sucks that's the only screw I've stripped and is a mission critical one. Any advice on getting it out?

Thx all
Old 06-24-2016, 01:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)

you can always use a dremel with a cutting wheel but then that will slightly damage the hanger
Old 06-24-2016, 02:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Get yourself some left handed drill bits, or if you have some torx bits maybe you can force one into the screw head and wind it out.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:05 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Since you can get to the backside of the screw, get a regular 2mm drill bit, or tiny sae equivalent.

Drill the correct direction, with a regular bit, but from the backside into the end of the screw. It'll bite and back the screw right out for you. Use a drill press and a good clamp on the chassis. Or have a steady hand so you don't eat the threads of the hanger out.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

just file a slot it it and use a flat head screwdriver to get it out
Old 06-24-2016, 08:34 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

if its a 2mm flat head, after you get it out and the location can be held on fine with these screws, I would go with a 2.5mm cap head instead. I know on the Teknos I had the rear hanger screw was so long and the metal on the screw wasn't exactly the best that even with a really good bit I had to be careful when getting the screw out. Ended up eventually just going to a cap screw instead.

Also, check the tip of whatever you are using for a hex driver. With the AE ones I got, I ended up dremeling 2 of them a bit for better fit due to wear on the tip. Worked well.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:05 AM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Great solutions especially this one as I'm lazy.im not worried about my "luxury" hanger Have a backup
Originally Posted by Socket
Since you can get to the backside of the screw, get a regular 2mm drill bit, or tiny sae equivalent.

Drill the correct direction, with a regular bit, but from the backside into the end of the screw. It'll bite and back the screw right out for you. Use a drill press and a good clamp on the chassis. Or have a steady hand so you don't eat the threads of the hanger out.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I have always just drilled into the stripped end of the screw until the head pops off, then usually with the part removed the screw comes right out by hand or with pliers if need be.