Wiki Posts
Search

I need help with AE SC5M build

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default I need help with AE SC5M build

Hello all,
I have been away from the hobby for close to 20 years and recently bought a SC5M and an in the process of building it. Things gave changed dramatically over the years and I am relearning a lot.
I am trying to figure out what servo, ESC, motor and batteries to run. The truck will be set up for 17.5 racing at Hot Rod Hobbies as well as other local tracks. I am not concerned with cost (within reason) and want to get a few recommendations of each of the above to choose from. FYI I will be running Airtronics (Sanwa) radio.
Any and all help and recommendations is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TaGWolfgang
Hello all,
I have been away from the hobby for close to 20 years and recently bought a SC5M and an in the process of building it. Things gave changed dramatically over the years and I am relearning a lot.
I am trying to figure out what servo, ESC, motor and batteries to run. The truck will be set up for 17.5 racing at Hot Rod Hobbies as well as other local tracks. I am not concerned with cost (within reason) and want to get a few recommendations of each of the above to choose from. FYI I will be running Airtronics (Sanwa) radio.
Any and all help and recommendations is greatly appreciated.
For a servo, I have been very pleased with the Sanwa metal gear high torques servo. I've had the same one now for 2.5 years (first in my SC10.2 and then in my SC5M). Running the same servo in my 2wd buggy for 2 years. No problems at all from the servo.

Motor and ESC. There are just so many great options to chose from. The HobbyWing just stock spec ESC is really all you need for 17.5 stock class, but I always perfer to get the higher end ESC in the event I want to run something other then 17.5 stock. I personally really liked the Viper stuff, but they discontinued the Viper Brand and have not come out with then new Maclan ESC yet. The Maclan motors are out through, and I'm pretty happy with the 10.5 I recently got.

I have ran the Schurr Speed 17.5 motor and was really pleased with it.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I use a savox 1258tg in my sc5m. Same as riverbluff.. used the same servo for years...

Motor and ESC. I agree with River again. the HW Is fine. Cant go wrong and they are cheap. I run a orion Vortrex R10 stock and orion 17.5. Just depends if you want to spend double the money for the same basic result.
Batteries. Im using hobbyking Ultimate 4600 shorty packs... more than enough power and run time.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

In my SC5M I went with all Reedy electronics. I have been real happy with them.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Hobbywing V3.1 stock spec is a nice esc and the XR10 pro is great if you don't mind spending $200.

And All reedy electronics are awesome! Can't go wrong. The servos are probably my favorite ones and they are pretty cheap. I think they are $90 on tower. The 1000z esc is good and I personally like Schuur speed motors the best for stock. They are fast and last forever
Old 06-15-2016, 10:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ran a Savox 1257tg, lrp works team flow and a Reedy motor and SMC batteries.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:30 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...hread-112.html
Old 06-16-2016, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...w-threads.html