What kind of spur gear should I get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What kind of spur gear should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Default What kind of spur gear should I get?

Wrecked my stock RC10GT, and it looks like a tooth on the spur gear really took a beating.

Should I get an alluminum one or just another stocker?

Do I need 64t, 66t, or what?

Thanks. Also, if anyone has one for sale let me know.

http://dubisteinspundloch.com/DSCF4530.JPG
Old 12-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Need a quick reply. Trying to place an order for some stuff on towerhobbies.

They sell Kimbrough and Robinson Racing spur gears, the Robinson being a few bucks more.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Go with the kimbrough's. I've used both and they both are great. Save a few bucks and get some extras or different sizes.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tazz888
Go with the kimbrough's. I've used both and they both are great. Save a few bucks and get some extras or different sizes.
Alright, but what size do I need? They have 60, 62, 64, and 66 in the Kimbrough.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I took the stocker off and it says 66 right on it. Should I stick with stock size or go lower? Would I get better acceleration with a smaller gear?
Old 12-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I always used the 66t when I raced mine. I also had a 64t in my box incase the track called for a gear change. If your racing I'd keep one of each in your box. If bashing is your thing stick with the 66t.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tazz888
I always used the 66t when I raced mine. I also had a 64t in my box incase the track called for a gear change. If your racing I'd keep one of each in your box. If bashing is your thing stick with the 66t.
I don't race, but I'll just get one of each and experiment. Thanks man.

One more quick question.

What size nuts do I need for the axles? Took the front wheels off and lost one of the plastic nuts.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX2525&P=M
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX2472&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX2471&P=7
Old 12-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I use the self threading ones in your first link. The last link would probably work also, but not sure. The middles look like the shock nuts for t4-b4.
Kimbrough spur gears are good, and having a range of them is nice too.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Get a few variations of the Kimbrough gears, they are very tough. Also, try to stick to plastic gears unless you HAVE to have aluminum. Aluminum and steel gears are tough, but they put a lot of stress on the plastic gears in the transmission.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Tech Adept

Just a thought...........If you wrecked and it ate your spur gear, you might check the motor mount ( if its got one I dont know much about assoicated.)to see if its broke. I dont remember which one of my cars that did that. I wrecked and it broke the motor mount on one side and sheared the teeth off half of the spur gear. I have never had that problem with the MT2, primarily because the motor was bolted to the chassis with no mount. I probably will now that I put a 2.5R on it.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by crash21
Just a thought...........If you wrecked and it ate your spur gear, you might check the motor mount ( if its got one I dont know much about assoicated.)to see if its broke. I dont remember which one of my cars that did that. I wrecked and it broke the motor mount on one side and sheared the teeth off half of the spur gear. I have never had that problem with the MT2, primarily because the motor was bolted to the chassis with no mount. I probably will now that I put a 2.5R on it.
The whole motor slid forward. I loosed up the screws on the bottom that hold the mount down and slid it backwards so that the clutch bell actually met the spur gear again. They weren't even touching before that.

Mostly everything looks ok. I superglued the suspension part that broke and it seems to be holding very well just from bending it with my hands. When it breaks, I'll get a new one.