Wiki Posts
Search

The unofficial bash-miesters thread for older off-roaders

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Talking The totally unofficial what have you got thread for older off-roaders

All of these "Offical Thread for..." IMHO all look pretty ghey - let's face it's not like they've been put there by any of the manufacturers. Everything on these threads are made to look very pretty with a nice list of upgrades & heaps of pictures. Well if that turns you on, good for you but we like to do things differently down under. So this thread is for everyone who doesn't have this years model & it's for any make or model off-roader. At the end of the day what's important is how much fun you're having & how it makes you feel. Anyone who can't get that should move on to the next thread & any negativity is best ignored. So those who insist on having this years model think about this - what are you going to do when mum & dad stop paying for everything? Personally I think that's one of the biggest dis-service a parent can do for a child - but that's a different story for another thread on another website that'll probably never happen. So this thread is about what ya got, what ya done to it & what ya do with it.

My off-roaders make a small list so this is my favourite - please excuse my engrish as I'm a Kiwi in New Zealand & we at times do it differently.

Team Losi 8ight 2.0 E buggy. Has a Tekin Gen2 RX8, 1900kv T8 & Hotwire. Monster Savox servo, all diffs upgraded, King Headz upgrades, Shockwares, Proline badlands & changed the radio gear to Futaba. It's evolved to what it is now as it originally had a Trackstar combo which I ran on 3S lipos. With the Tekin combo I'm now running 4S lipos which combined makes it much faster. But it was best to learn about 1/8 scale while it was slower & more manageable. Have plenty of places to go run RC in our neighbourhood both onroad & offroad. Or a short drive to the RC club tracks then there's bmx, mx & a huge skate park not that far away. The cool thing about going to those places is that even if there's others using the same facility provided you go hard most of them will stop what they're doing & watch.

As a relative newbie here it looks like I can only post one picture per post & I must warn you that sometimes I hold the iPad upside down taking pictures. So to make this thread manageable, easy to read & make sense make it only one vehicle per post please. I've got a few more so will add to this thread as others do so & hopefully it'll be a good thread. So what are you waiting for? Add to it...
Attached Thumbnails The unofficial bash-miesters thread for older off-roaders-image.jpg  

Last edited by rcmadkiwi; 07-05-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Amen brother. I don't need to have the newest stuff. I prefer to buy used a lot of the time too. My only concern about older models is parts supplies.

I realize that my driving skill and set up skill are the items that need the most work to get better

I recently bought a b5m and a 44.3 both are current models but are slated to be replaced soon. (B5m later this month). I might pick up another roller or each for extra parts, just looking for the right deal when people sell to get the new models.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by uh60
Amen brother. I don't need to have the newest stuff. I prefer to buy used a lot of the time too. My only concern about older models is parts supplies.

I realize that my driving skill and set up skill are the items that need the most work to get better

I recently bought a b5m and a 44.3 both are current models but are slated to be replaced soon. (B5m later this month). I might pick up another roller or each for extra parts, just looking for the right deal when people sell to get the new models.
I was in the same predicament recently with not having a parts supply for an older chassis so grab as much as you're able while you can. I've also got a Losi 22T - the first version & it's the RTR set. Much prefer buggies so after changing the wheels to PL Trencers & fitting a chassis protector decal it has sat on a shelf since & I don't have any parts for it. Are getting another Losi XXX4 G+ so will be using it as I don't have a decent 4wd 1/10 scale off-roader right now. Getting decent parts for that chassis (have a XXXS G+ also) has been a bit of a challenge in the past - until I made a wanted thread here.

Last edited by rcmadkiwi; 06-12-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcmadkiwi
All of these "Offical Thread for..." IMHO all look pretty ghey
Originally Posted by rcmadkiwi
any negativity is best ignored
ROFL - Slamming just about every thread on here but don't want negativity in yours is epic.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The reason why threads are "official" is to stop multiple threads for the same vehicles.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sean B.
The reason why threads are "official" is to stop multiple threads for the same vehicles.
That makes sense but then again so does searching the forum for similar threads before making one.

Originally Posted by goehm
ROFL - Slamming just about every thread on here but don't want negativity in yours is epic.
You might be a hater but not everyone views life in that way so you shouldn't assume they do. Or try to find some hidden meaning in a post that simply wasn't there in the first place. Was hoping to make it a drama free zone but there's always going to be at least one with nothing better to do.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Drama always happens. It can't be helped.

Not saying this happened in this thread. But it sure is easy to type big.

Lets just have fun.

I appreciated your take on the "official" thread thing. Too many people take simple things too seriously.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by uh60
Drama always happens. It can't be helped.

Not saying this happened in this thread. But it sure is easy to type big.

Lets just have fun.

I appreciated your take on the "official" thread thing. Too many people take simple things too seriously.
Or they take things for granted & don't appreciate what they have. Had been wanting a Kyosho Optima since I heard they was going to re-release it & had forgotten that I've got a Scorpion that I hadn't finished building. It was the box art yellow but changed it to all black & got the roll cage with working spotlights fitted. Had a Novak brushless combo which it made it pretty difficult to control so swapped it for a Futaba brushed ESC, Kyosho brushed motor & gave it to our son.

Last edited by rcmadkiwi; 06-13-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Smile OLD trucks for bashing.

I guess that my T-4's are 15+ years old!!!
RPM arms was the best upgrade possible. 2WD BL Novek ESC's. Too bad,I just cooked one.
My buddy and I bash the crap outta them.Minor breakage/maintenance,too.
We run Badland tires. Extra cushy. Good for bashing!Extra tall.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I appreciate the guys that have to have the newest gear.that way i can buy there "old" gear at a fraction of the price..works out good for everyone
Old 08-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Cool

I don't RACE anymore,so I buy cheap Chinese packs off of Ebay. I let my ROAR membership lapse,also. I don't have to buy hard case LIPOS either.
My big truck used to be an EMAXX.
1650 KV on 5S.
All custom: