Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Xray XB2 rear motor conversion complete! >

Xray XB2 rear motor conversion complete!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xray XB2 rear motor conversion complete!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Suspended

Default Xray XB2 rear motor conversion complete!

Hey guys, here in the NW we struggle with traction with dusty loamy tracks and mid motor is just to difficult to hook up...until now! Lets do rear motor!

Many of you know and respect Kelly Lundsford and know of his high quality turn buckles...but what you may not know is his ability to engineer something from just an idea! I've been struggling with traction and was disappointed the xray did not have the rear motor option like advertised and wished i had my old car back...until now.

With out further delay, here's how to convert your XB2 into rear motor option!

1) remove the transmission assembly completely and make sure your shocks are in the forward location. (No pictures of that sorry)

2) pull the transmission apart and reverse the idler gear to the opposing side and reinstall to the rear of the car. (setup tip: I added 2mm spacers between the transmission case and chassis to improve roll)

3) Move the battery wing nut posts the the farthest forward location.

4) Move the transmission flex stabilizer assembly to the farthest forward location

5) Locate Lundsfords 2-45mm turnbuckles, 2-2mm spacers, 2- 5mm ballstuds and 2-8mm ballstuds as chassis stiffeners

6) Remove the original chassis stiffener from the battery strap.

7) Drill a hole in the center of your rear battery brace and screw it into you rear stiffener center hole

8) Attach the 5mm ballstud and 2mm spacer to the rear camber link hanger on the transmission

9) Attach the front 8mm ballstud to the chassis stiffener outside hole next to the battery strap.

10) Attach lundsford 45mm turnbuckles onto lundsford ballcups and secure to the correct length so when you snap them down there is no binding.

Working on a motor guard currently. but car works a lot better. Thanks for looking

Last edited by thereefspot; 06-05-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Suspended

Ill get pictures up soon
Old 06-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Suspended

bump

Last edited by thereefspot; 06-05-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:31 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

No cover for the motor?
Old 06-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Rear motor. move shocks to the rear.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Suspended

yeah no motor guard yet. that's in the works next. The car is working great tho. The shocks don't fit for rear mount on the rear motor conversion. The slipper assembly is in the way.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:11 AM
Tech Master

Xray are working hard on the release of the rear motor option as we speak.

We have been testing different parts the last couple of weeks and it's working really good on blown out dirt tracks

Bent
Old 06-06-2016, 12:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nice job!
Old 06-06-2016, 01:35 AM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

would be awesome to see Dave's reopen and have a place to use it.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BentKa
Xray are working hard on the release of the rear motor option as we speak.

We have been testing different parts the last couple of weeks and it's working really good on blown out dirt tracks

Bent
This is great news. I was very disheartened to the fact that the kit didn't come with this advertised option since it was a large reason I went for the XB2 over other kits. Thanks XRay for making this right.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Suspended

This conversion works great! the only thing is the motor guard. I practiced all morning and raced 2 heats and 3 mains with no incident. The difference of the handling capability is amazing. You can decide if the offset is worth it...it was to me!

BTW: As far as xray not releasing the rear motor as advertised??? It would have made the difference to me as to changing my program from kyosho. It is not okay with me and I'm glad I was able to improvise and make it work. My hope is xray will release this option before summer is over...all i need now is a motor guard and I'm happy!
Old 06-07-2016, 12:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thereefspot
This conversion works great! the only thing is the motor guard. I practiced all morning and raced 2 heats and 3 mains with no incident. The difference of the handling capability is amazing. You can decide if the offset is worth it...it was to me!

BTW: As far as xray not releasing the rear motor as advertised??? It would have made the difference to me as to changing my program from kyosho. It is not okay with me and I'm glad I was able to improvise and make it work. My hope is xray will release this option before summer is over...all i need now is a motor guard and I'm happy!
Xray IS releasing the rear motor option as mentioned numerous times.

Only reason for it not being released earlier is due to the Team Durango patent.

Xray had to go back to the drawing board to change a few things due to the patent to be able to release it also in the US and not only Europe.

If it hadn't been for the patent you would've had the car come with 3 and 4 gear mid + 3 and 4 gear rear all included like our earlier prototypes we ran last year.

3 gear laydown will also be available and with the upcoming XT2 you will be able to use the options for the truck as well

Bent
Old 06-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

very nice and innovative, i would like to try this but at our local track due to monster jumps a motor guard would be needed. glad to hear Xray DE-RM option is coming
Old 06-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
very nice and innovative, i would like to try this but at our local track due to monster jumps a motor guard would be needed. glad to hear Xray DE-RM option is coming
For $100 you alone can upgrade your $350 car to the cutting edge of rear motor design.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:59 PM
Suspended

I'm happy they are releasing this option. Not happy its summer here and the car doesn't work for beans in mid motor here. On another note, the kit was suppose to come with this option and now I'll have to pay for it. I hope they come to a remedy for that as well. The post was to show others how to convert their DE to rear motor because it was suppose to be an option with the kit. Many are faced with the same issue. So a "thank you for going forward with this design and currently xray is working towards this options as well" would be good enough for me. Just say'n