R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Lightbulb Questions for a Mini T

Alright, I'm a Nitro Racer, have been for as long as I can recall...Actually used to refer to the guys that drove electrics as "weenie racers"...

But times change, and although I still go for Nitro, and still run my 30%, I just bought a Mini T for my wife because she thought they were cute...

Now perhaps, it's time for me to learn something about electric r/c...

This Mini T is bone stock, rtr out of the box, the only mod has been a venom 1400 flat pack, and a baja bug body...

Now what it is, she went to our local track with me the other day, and she decided it wasn't fast enough, because it wouldn't jump, and couldn't make it up a couple of the ramps that we have...

So my dilemma is simple, I want to make the Mini T go fast, as in fast enough to smoke a Rustler, and I don't want to go brushless, and I don't want lipo's...

I figger, if it can run around 25-30, that should be plenty fast for a car that small, she may still get mad because she can't keep up with the 50mph buggies, but I also don't plan on having 2g's tied up in her car...

So let me know what set-ups and motors and all that good junk will get it up to around that fast, the motor I'm looking at is made by orion and is about 30 bux, but that's all I know about it, don't know the turns or any of that stuff...

Any help is appreciated...
possom813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:14 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
Send a message via AIM to SavageSYNTH25

Go with an 1100mah Ni-MH pack from Trinity, a Trinity Monster motor, an aftermarket speedo (Novak XRS works great in a Mini), a Hitec HS85 steering servo (mods are easy, check out www.beatyourtruck.com for info).

Also, check out MIP CVD's, full ball bearings, oil shocks, a ball differential, and some Lunsford titanium turnbuckles. After all that, it should be durable and fairly fast!

BTW: Why would you call electric guys Weenie racers? Here in Charlotte, we run a class called Pro Truck (gas trucks and brushless li-po'ed electric trucks)
and those electric trucks consistently post faster laps than the gas trucks......plus those guys are getting 25 minutes of run time!!!! All that sounds pretty good to me.
SavageSYNTH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Possom's a weenie!!!!!
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:45 AM   #4
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just picked up an RTR Mini-t myself. I also picked up a 6 cell nimh, and a Baja Mod motor. It's plenty fast, not brushless fast, but plenty of speed and power to make it up ramps, over jumps, ect. I ran it at a track set up for 8th buggies, and it did OK. The biggest jump was a bit much but it made it. The baja motor was $30, so no bank breaking to get one. There are other mods available, so you may find a faster/better deal...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:37 AM   #5
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Actually used to refer to the guys that drove electrics as "weenie racers"...
Key words in the phrase..."used to"

When I started racing nitro the fastest electric around was the rc10t and it was a snails pace compared to what's available now...

Now that I've clarified that...I just bought a venom 1200mah pack, a new piranha charger(yeah I know, but it does what I need), and an orion motor...

Now it's about what I expected from it, and my walmart cars can't touch it...
possom813 is offline   Reply With Quote