Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Mod electric Motors for offroad >

Mod electric Motors for offroad

Mod electric Motors for offroad

Old 12-17-2005, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Mod electric Motors for offroad

Maybe opening up a can of worms here but I'm sure there are motors that perform better than other brands so what I'm asking is what brand motor (s) are to have and that seem to hold up a bit longer than any other brand and what brands to just stay away from. I'm looking for mod motors for offroad 4wd and 2wd buggy.
To prevent hurt feelings you can either pm or e-mail me at [email protected] with your responses and those of negative responses of what motors to stay away from will be kept confidential.

James
Old 12-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Team Orion V2 - Enough said!

Motor's that are generally over the $50 mark are handwound which is better. A lot of the cheaper motors $25-40 have Machine wound armatures. The top brands include Team orion, Trinity, Reedy and Team Checkpoint. A lot of small external motor companies purchase these and tune them for even more performance. Good motor tuners include Team Br00d, EA motorsports, Hyperform etc etc. There are many on these forums.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

The v2's are nice, but if you want something that holds up better and you don't need to cut the comm a lot i'd go with a checkpoint motor. you can get like 20 runs on it before you have to cut the comm its crazy. Also go with Banzai's. there one of those companies that buy motors and tune them. I believe they are epic based.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

The lastest shootout I read in R/C Car Action reported the Orion Revolution V2 being easier on the comm than even the Team Checkpoint motor. The comparison was between the Epic 12T flatwire, Epic 12T roundwire, Orion Revolution V2 12T, and the Team Checkpoint 12T. All were double wire. The Team Checkpoint had the most rpm but the least amount of torque. The Orion V2 had the most torque but moderate rpm, and the Epic motors fell right in the middle of the road comparison wise. So you need to know what you need. With a tight track I would take the Orion and on a Wide flowing track with long straights I would go the Team Checkpoint route. Both are great motors IMO.

Last edited by sport10; 12-18-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Tech Adept

No way would I use a V2 for off road racing. My experience is that the nice endbell is simply not up to it. In my first three meetings with mine I cracked a brush, bent a brush tube and finally I simply gave up on it. This was in a RC10T4. The XXX-4 guys here have given up on it, since every time they get t-boned on the left side a brush tube bends or worse. I also found they ran very hot and were very fussy about gearing.

I would be real interested to try a checkpoint next. My current mod motors are Trinity Cobalts and I've been very happy with both of them. One is a 12x3 the other is a 10x1 flat. The brushes just don't seem to wear, and I simply cut the comm every two or three meetings. When the brushes wear I will simply chuck them and start again, but they lasted me all of last season without any trouble at all.

MIKE
Old 12-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I would have to say the Checkpoint is very easy on the com. We just got a bunch in at our indoor dirt track and I've seen them in 2wd buggy, 4wd buggy and trucks. These things look great after 20 runs and they clean up with just a couple of passes on the lathe. These motors are no slugs they are fast to! Checkpoint motors get my vote.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Well my track on the other hand has many people that praise the Revolution V2 motor.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The V2 motors I have seen have had no durability issues but they are the hardest to work on. The endbell must be removed to replace the brushes and the brush tubes are difficult to get a good solder joint onto. Thankfully they last half a season between brush changes so these tasks are not frequent.
The springs are a little finicky too. If Checkpoint's motors produce the same power and lifespan then that's the way I'd go. Also, in the article where the motors were compared, the Checkpoint had the highest power output in wattage. I guess it just needs lower gearing for all those revs.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

The team checkpoint that I worked on was easy to solder the motor leads. It has plenty of space to work with. Due to the high rev, low torque nature of the engine gearing it lower would make sense to let it rev. So far we have ran a 12x2 in a T4 with 19 and 18 tooth pinions. The performance and battery runtime was excellent.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've run a 10x1 V2 well over a season in my 2WD buggy and cut it 3 times. The trick is just keep the brushes from hanging... make sure they move freely before every run. They ARE a pain to rebuild / solder though. Based on what I've seen lately with mod touring car racing, I think my next offroad mod motor will be a checkpoint.

As far as motor tuner companies go, I really like Putnam motors.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Tech Rookie

i have ran...checkpiont,orion,trinity,paradigm,ea,epic,co balts,shocks.my personal favorites i like orion trinity checkpoint cobalt orions are very smooth trinity smooth and rpm checkpoint toooonnns of torque the cobalt is my favorite
Old 01-03-2006, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

I agree that the V2's tend to run hot. Some run hotter then others.

www.stormerhobbies.com are currently having a sale on their Cobalts. They're only $40 and these come standard with the XXX type brush, meaning that brush wear will be minimal.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Tech Adept

The Orion V2 based motors are great, minimal comm and brush wear with no measureable loss in performance. They are a little difficuult to solder the motor leads to and just make sure the brushes are free before each run and you'll be happy.
For motor tuners I recommend Putnum motors.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Your running MOD It's all about performance not easy

I tried V2's = low maintenance brushes can get hunge quite often because the dirt gets stuck between the brush & the hood. Edge brushes help a bit.

Tried Cobolts = good

Tried Team Brood Ti's = Best off-road motor out there. Just need to cut the com every couple of runs
Old 01-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

From your responses it sounds like the Putnam V2 12X2 would be a good mod motor for a tight track. Where would I get one of these and who has good prices? I would be putting this in a MF2. What would be the recommended gearing with this motor in a MF2 with 86 spur? I am very happy with my V2 19T, but I had to use a 22T pinion compared to a 18T with a cameleon.

Also, would this motor be legal in most\all mod races?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.