Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree649Likes

Team Associated B6 & B6D thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-07-2017, 10:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6 & B6D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Welcome to the B6 Wiki!

Quick links to all the sections on the first page!

Frequently asked questions - the most common questions you may have answered here!

Aftermarket Parts - parts for the B6 and B6D

Tech Tutorials- tuning guides, ball diff and shock building videos and tutorials

How to's and build-specific posts

Team Associated Laydown transmission conversion for B6D:
Laydown conversion

Instruction Manuals:

B6: B6 Manual and setup sheets

B6D: B6D Manual and setup sheets

How to Sand and Seal carbon fiber:
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 2
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 3
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 4

Charts for Quick reference:

1) put inner bearing in hub
2) slide large shim over axle all the way up to the back of the axle
3) slide axle/bone into hub carrier
4) slide small shim onto axle through hub carrier
5) push outter bearing into hub carrier

using that i'm able to put my normal male silverback gorilla wheel nut tightening job and there's no binding. in the pictures that come with the shims (the pic socket posted) it seems like they want you to slide both shims onto the axle before sliding the axle into the hub carrier and like i said, that doesn't work.

I've traditionally done the diff screw head on the left side (driver's side), but have since switched to the Right side (passenger side) regardless of transmission type (3 gear RM vs 3 gear MM and 4 gear MM).

Kdub (Kurt Wenger, former AE designer) had this to say on the matter:

Originally Posted by kdub
I think I count as an authority on the matter. I always run my diff screw on the right side (when sitting "inside" the car). I take off the tire and pull the outer hinge pin to get to the adjustment screw.

The right rear is the way the AE manuals state (or used to state). It really shouldn't matter since you go around turns both left and right.
B6D 3-gear:

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sport10
You need to evaluate the alignment for each different servo you use. I am also using a 1258tg servo.
1258tg
No servo lug spacers
No servo horn spacer
1mm spacer on rack
AE Alu horn

I m confused why people don't use the correct AE parts rather than crap aftermarket parts
Old 12-03-2016, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So with this servo talk I thought I would jump in ask what spacers etc would I need or wouldn’t to put in for a Spektrum S6260 as I am building mine at the moment.

I also have the AE ally servo horn for it so any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just started a BD6 build this morning. I threw in a Savox 1258tg with an Exotek Aluminum servo horn with the 2mm ball stud removed as well as spacers removed from behind the servo ears...im still getting just a little rub between the servo horn and the top plate...other than that, the rest of build has been on point, I stopped right before building the shocks to watch Penn St. vs Wisconsin...
Old 12-03-2016, 05:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

whats the deal with sanding and sealing the carbon fiber shock towers? I built a 1/10th sedan a few years ago and I sanded and sealed all of the carbon fiber in the kit...are people still doing this for the shock towers? I think I read something that said there is no need anymore, although I could be wrong...
Old 12-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I haven't sealed any shock towers so far. The first rear one that I had that came with the kit lasted around 6 weeks. The second (an x-factory one that was supposed to be stronger), about 2 weeks. Most recently, another AE one lasted less than one race day before coming apart.

I also just found out that I had a bent d-block....anybody else had this? (new on top, older bent one on bottom)

Last edited by joncmack; 12-04-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

im gonna let mine rock without the sanding and sealing, if they fall apart, I will sand and seal the replacement towers...
Old 12-03-2016, 07:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KalEl63
So with this servo talk I thought I would jump in ask what spacers etc would I need or wouldn’t to put in for a Spektrum S6260 as I am building mine at the moment.

I also have the AE ally servo horn for it so any help would be greatly appreciated
Car 1
Protek 160T
No servo spacers
Exotek horn 2mm spacer

Car 2
Protek 170SBL
No servo spacers
Associated horn no spacers

I will say the associated horn sits a couple MM higher than the exotek. I prefer the lower Exotek to keep the link level as possible

Here's a shot from the back so you can see the height diff
1st is exotek, 2nd is Associated

Last edited by abailey21; 12-03-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Is there a certain glue you guys like for sealing towers? I was used to just using what i had on hand, but this time had some HPI glue that for this purchase was not good. Anyway, curious what others like.

I do have a race report. we ran the first race of the winter series. Had about 60+ total entries which is really good for the area. Lots of 2wd and 4wd buggies, with the latter at points looking like the Hot Bodies D413 spec class lol.

Anyway, I ran my B6D with this setup except:
- No brass front bulkhead
- longer rear shocks
- orange front springs
- PT Racing oils (I need to confirm CSTs but I used PT Racings oil conversion basically to Losi but +2.5W I think for the conversion)

http://site.petitrc.com/setup/associ...gring20160429/

we are limited to non-hardpin tires on a carpet track which I would describe as very high traction as you can traction roll using harder tires like proline street fighters.

Its common to use slick clay compound tires all around, sauced with SXT 3.0 compound or the schumacher staggers up front and slicks in the rear.

My setup was just that, aka slicks rear, schumachers up front.

I ran with the battery all the back. (what does 5F mean battery position wise?) but also tried it forward, but liked all the way back better

Anyway, the main issue I had is that there is a portion of the track where the carpet changes from ozite to something tan where traction seems to come up slightly, and the carpet is more bumpy. When you hit this part coming down the long straight, you can get kicked around a bit and possibly traction roll. My vehicle also felt a bit inconsistent on sections where it was more bumpy. Finally its steering felt too aggressive I think about mid turn. I ended up running a good portion of negative expo to get a better feel at lower steering inputs.

For the main I ended up moving the shock position on the front arms out and the seemed to help calm things down a lot. I am wondering if I buy the purple springs that they will give me more of what i am looking for.

However, for the inconsistent bump handling, what do you guys recommend? I was thinking maybe going down 50CST to see if that helps as maybe the shock action was not occuring fast enough.

Other than that,the car is really good.

Oh, and I did bend a rear shock shaft (gold ones) and the guy insert that goes into the lower shock cap got hogged out. So will order some spares for that issue. Of the two types, which are more durable?

Last edited by Cain; 12-03-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FreeBandz
whats the deal with sanding and sealing the carbon fiber shock towers? I built a 1/10th sedan a few years ago and I sanded and sealed all of the carbon fiber in the kit...are people still doing this for the shock towers? I think I read something that said there is no need anymore, although I could be wrong...
I sealed all mine, been running it for 3 months now and have not broke any towers at all. Run on high bite carpet Offroad track and seems to help from tower digging in if you flip
Old 12-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Is there a certain glue you guys like for sealing towers? I was used to just using what i had on hand, but this time had some HPI glue that for this purchase was not good. Anyway, curious what others like.

I do have a race report. we ran the first race of the winter series. Had about 60+ total entries which is really good for the area. Lots of 2wd and 4wd buggies, with the latter at points looking like the Hot Bodies D413 spec class lol.

Anyway, I ran my B6D with this setup except:
- No brass front bulkhead
- longer rear shocks
- orange front springs
- PT Racing oils (I need to confirm CSTs but I used PT Racings oil conversion basically to Losi but +2.5W I think for the conversion)

http://site.petitrc.com/setup/associ...gring20160429/

we are limited to non-hardpin tires on a carpet track which I would describe as very high traction as you can traction roll using harder tires like proline street fighters.

Its common to use slick clay compound tires all around, sauced with SXT 3.0 compound or the schumacher staggers up front and slicks in the rear.

My setup was just that, aka slicks rear, schumachers up front.

I ran with the battery all the back. (what does 5F mean battery position wise?) but also tried it forward, but liked all the way back better

Anyway, the main issue I had is that there is a portion of the track where the carpet changes from ozite to something tan where traction seems to come up slightly, and the carpet is more bumpy. When you hit this part coming down the long straight, you can get kicked around a bit and possibly traction roll. My vehicle also felt a bit inconsistent on sections where it was more bumpy. Finally its steering felt too aggressive I think about mid turn. I ended up running a good portion of negative expo to get a better feel at lower steering inputs.

For the main I ended up moving the shock position on the front arms out and the seemed to help calm things down a lot. I am wondering if I buy the purple springs that they will give me more of what i am looking for.

However, for the inconsistent bump handling, what do you guys recommend? I was thinking maybe going down 50CST to see if that helps as maybe the shock action was not occuring fast enough.

Other than that,the car is really good.

Oh, and I did bend a rear shock shaft (gold ones) and the guy insert that goes into the lower shock cap got hogged out. So will order some spares for that issue.
I recommend trying yatabe springs. Red front and green rear. Yatabe springs are so good on carpet.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by suby723
I recommend trying yatabe springs. Red front and green rear. Yatabe springs are so good on carpet.
It's like they're made for it
Old 12-03-2016, 08:06 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

can you elaborate on what difference I would see exactly? Trying to understand why they are good versus the AE offering, assuming the AE offering match their rating.

Also, how do there ratings compare to AEs? (ex-a Yatabe X spring is Y in AE rating)

And am I correct as the part # goes up in size the stiffer the spring?

Yokomo Turf/Carpet Rear Shock Spring Rates:
Hard
YOKYAS-975: Purple
YOKYAS-1000: Black
YOKYAS-1025: Orange
YOKYAS-1050: Green

Yokomo Turf/Carpet Front Shock Spring Rates:
Hard
YOKYAS-650: Purple
YOKYAS-675: Black
YOKYAS-700: Orange
YOKYAS-800: Red
YOKYAS-825: Yellow
Old 12-03-2016, 08:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I've read....mostly on here so who knows, but I've read the Associated springs are inconsistent
Old 12-03-2016, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
can you elaborate on what difference I would see exactly? Trying to understand why they are good versus the AE offering, assuming the AE offering match their rating.

Also, how do there ratings compare to AEs? (ex-a Yatabe X spring is Y in AE rating)

And am I correct as the part # goes up in size the stiffer the spring?

Yokomo Turf/Carpet Rear Shock Spring Rates:
Hard
YOKYAS-975: Purple
YOKYAS-1000: Black
YOKYAS-1025: Orange
YOKYAS-1050: Green

Yokomo Turf/Carpet Front Shock Spring Rates:
Hard
YOKYAS-650: Purple
YOKYAS-675: Black
YOKYAS-700: Orange
YOKYAS-800: Red
YOKYAS-825: Yellow
I'm not sure of the rates but when I race on carpet I use yatabe springs for all my cars. I tried ae springs to start but the car is far more consistent IMO with yatabe springs. Jumps and lands a lot better also. The lowest number is the stiffest btw.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Pulled an all nighter and finished the whole build. So far its a B6D with a 1258tg servo, Orion R10 pro, Exotek aluminum steering servo and a set of Exotek alloy twist nuts for battery screws...other than that, its box stock bitch!!

I need battery suggestions, I have no clue about lipo batteries, this is my first foray into offroad after a long break in the hobby....
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated B6 & B6D thread-img_4293.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.