R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-07-2017, 10:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated B6 & B6D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Welcome to the B6 Wiki!

Quick links to all the sections on the first page!

Frequently asked questions - the most common questions you may have answered here!

Aftermarket Parts - parts for the B6 and B6D

Tech Tutorials- tuning guides, ball diff and shock building videos and tutorials

How to's and build-specific posts

Team Associated Laydown transmission conversion for B6D:
Laydown conversion

Instruction Manuals:

B6: B6 Manual and setup sheets

B6D: B6D Manual and setup sheets

How to Sand and Seal carbon fiber:
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 2
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 3
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 4

Charts for Quick reference:

1) put inner bearing in hub
2) slide large shim over axle all the way up to the back of the axle
3) slide axle/bone into hub carrier
4) slide small shim onto axle through hub carrier
5) push outter bearing into hub carrier

using that i'm able to put my normal male silverback gorilla wheel nut tightening job and there's no binding. in the pictures that come with the shims (the pic socket posted) it seems like they want you to slide both shims onto the axle before sliding the axle into the hub carrier and like i said, that doesn't work.

I've traditionally done the diff screw head on the left side (driver's side), but have since switched to the Right side (passenger side) regardless of transmission type (3 gear RM vs 3 gear MM and 4 gear MM).

Kdub (Kurt Wenger, former AE designer) had this to say on the matter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub View Post
I think I count as an authority on the matter. I always run my diff screw on the right side (when sitting "inside" the car). I take off the tire and pull the outer hinge pin to get to the adjustment screw.

The right rear is the way the AE manuals state (or used to state). It really shouldn't matter since you go around turns both left and right.
B6D 3-gear:

Print Wikipost

Like Tree326Likes

Old 12-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #4711
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you're running stock, or light mod, the new XR10 Stock Spec from Hobbywing is only $5 more than the older v3.1 that everyone is mentioning.

The newer generation is MUCH smaller and lighter, and also supports 7.4v BEC as an option (6.0v is the default) which might be useful for some servos.

The only negative to the new one is that it's 80A sustained, but I know people running it in mod with 7.5T and still winning races, so I don't think that's really the issue that some might have you believe.

I bought the new XR10 stock spec in the Black Friday sales, and I'm really really happy with it.

Motor wise, the hot stock motor at our local track is the Team Powers Actinium V2, but I personally believe that setting up the motor by shimming correctly and setting the timing with an analyzer will more than make up for any differences between all of the 'decent' motors currently available.

Don't be fooled by the motors that say they're hand tuned, because although I'm sure some components are hand picked to be better, I have tested a few on a motor analyzer, and have yet to find one that had timing set correctly out of the box!
freezeframe007 likes this.
Nezil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:57 PM   #4712
Tech Adept

Sorry for off topic but what does the motor analyser do? Ive heard about setting use amp draw or something? Any links? I have a trackstar v1 that id like to get the most out of
Lunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:47 AM   #4713
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchie View Post
Sorry for off topic but what does the motor analyser do? Ive heard about setting use amp draw or something? Any links? I have a trackstar v1 that id like to get the most out of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLbnYJ3gJ-0

One of the features of this device is that it helps you pinpoint what motor timing you need to be (for optimum performance) ...at a specific voltage....in this case 6.0 amps.
Phillip F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:31 AM   #4714
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Trying out a new buggy and put a justock in. Seemed markedly slower and less punch even with the punch setting at the highest. Perhaps I e is faulty. Anyone else experience this in low amp esc's? Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
If you're running stock, or light mod, the new XR10 Stock Spec from Hobbywing is only $5 more than the older v3.1 that everyone is mentioning.

The newer generation is MUCH smaller and lighter, and also supports 7.4v BEC as an option (6.0v is the default) which might be useful for some servos.

The only negative to the new one is that it's 80A sustained, but I know people running it in mod with 7.5T and still winning races, so I don't think that's really the issue that some might have you believe.

I bought the new XR10 stock spec in the Black Friday sales, and I'm really really happy with it.

Motor wise, the hot stock motor at our local track is the Team Powers Actinium V2, but I personally believe that setting up the motor by shimming correctly and setting the timing with an analyzer will more than make up for any differences between all of the 'decent' motors currently available.

Don't be fooled by the motors that say they're hand tuned, because although I'm sure some components are hand picked to be better, I have tested a few on a motor analyzer, and have yet to find one that had timing set correctly out of the box!
JAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:48 AM   #4715
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caioz1jp View Post
I wanted to thank everyone for the input. Are the hobbywings and Reedy that much better than the castle creation?

If that is the case I am looking at the following:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...112400/p279086
https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-tr...ev1600/p291998

Again I want us to be able to do both spec and mod, mostly mod.
Castle's biggest problem is the BEC in my opinion. In general people who use the ESCs seem happy with them once they fix that. I ran the MM-X 1/8 ESC in sensored mode in 4x4 SCT and 1/8 E-Buggy with a pretty high power Futaba servo. No BEC issues even with the voltage turned up . Only reason I sold it was I wanted something with a little less footprint. Also like the fact they have a 1 year warranty.

As for having a true wonder ESC for mod and stock, etc. It may be your best served spending alittle more and getting something that fits your needs. Or, if you are not too concerned with having the latest, if they still have some of those hobbywing V2.1s floating around those are pretty powerful escs for a cheap price new these days.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #4716
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Motor wise, the hot stock motor at our local track is the Team Powers Actinium V2, but I personally believe that setting up the motor by shimming correctly and setting the timing with an analyzer
Yeah, i have a Fantom works that has quite a bit of free play / may need shimming.
hsp-sandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:26 AM   #4717
Tech Adept

quick question, if traction is not a problem, what could be the cause of my B6D going sideways when I punch the throttle?
eortizr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #4718
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eortizr View Post
quick question, if traction is not a problem, what could be the cause of my B6D going sideways when I punch the throttle?
slipper too tight
Associated T5M
Scott R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #4719
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip F View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLbnYJ3gJ-0

One of the features of this device is that it helps you pinpoint what motor timing you need to be (for optimum performance) ...at a specific voltage....in this case 6.0 amps.
Basically correct, but by looking at the spread of timing reads for the three hall sensors, you can see how good the sensor board is. Sometimes you can modify the sensor board by carefully re-soldering a sensor in a slightly different place, but even moving the rotor closer to the sensors (part of the shimming process) often really helps too.

Assuming your sensor board is OK, you can then target the 6.0 ~ 6.5A draw at full speed no load, by adjusting timing. This is actually easier said than done, and just half a degree either side will make a big difference to this. Also, every motor is different, so it wouldn't be correct to say 'Just set to 45 degrees and you're good'. Even different motors of the same type need different timing to be optimised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchie View Post
I actually tried tuning a Trackstar V1 13.5 recently (I have a 17.5 but haven't got around to that yet), and found that the end-bell timing only went up to 34 degrees, and I therefore wasn't able to get anything like the performance I'd have liked out of it.

I used a combination of grinding the end bell and trimming the sensor board aluminium block to get some additional timing out of it, up to 46 degrees in the end, which finally got me to 6.0 Amps, and a KV of 3,677. This is still not great for a 13.5, but a hell of a lot better than the 2,983 that I was able to get without the modifications.

Slight aside, but the Trackstar V1 timing boards are awesome! I had a 1 degree spread on both my 13.5 and 17.5. Compare this to the Trinity 24K custom built unit I tested for someone recently, which had a spread of 8 degrees, and my Actinium V1 17.5 that has a spread of 4 or 5 degrees, and the Turnigy timing board is quite impressive.

Last edited by Nezil; 12-12-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Nezil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:30 AM   #4720
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceR. View Post
Okay gents, I just bought MIP Roller Pucks™, Gear Diff Kit, All AE B6, #16040. For the gear diff, do I still use the spacers MIP provides? Or is that just a ball diff thing?
What are people's experience with these? I've used the old orange pucks before and was upset how much maintenance was required.
MrLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #4721
Tech Apprentice

Reedy came out with a new ESC and program box. looks pretty good.
https://www.teamassociated.com/parts..._programmer_2/
roysays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #4722
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

how nice of reedy to develop a new esc that can't use the old programming box (from the first failed esc). i know there's associated nut fleas that will run reedy just because it's AE, but at this point, i'd have a real hard time dropping my money on reedy electronics (other than maybe motors).
RC*PHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #4723
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
how nice of reedy to develop a new esc that can't use the old programming box (from the first failed esc). i know there's associated nut fleas that will run reedy just because it's AE, but at this point, i'd have a real hard time dropping my money on reedy electronics (other than maybe motors).
I wonder if this is made by Hobbywing, the case looks exactly like my Xerun 120a V3.1. Program box looks similar to theirs too
roysays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:40 AM   #4724
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysays View Post
I wonder if this is made by Hobbywing, the case looks exactly like my Xerun 120a V3.1. Program box looks similar to theirs too
Looks like an XR10 Pro, Specs are similar too
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated B6 &amp; B6D thread-picture-1.png  
Associated T5M
Scott R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #4725
Tech Regular

A lot of esc's are manufactured by the same OEM. Each brand has them built to their own specs.