Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree649Likes

Team Associated B6 & B6D thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-07-2017, 10:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6 & B6D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Welcome to the B6 Wiki!

Quick links to all the sections on the first page!

Frequently asked questions - the most common questions you may have answered here!

Aftermarket Parts - parts for the B6 and B6D

Tech Tutorials- tuning guides, ball diff and shock building videos and tutorials

How to's and build-specific posts

Team Associated Laydown transmission conversion for B6D:
Laydown conversion

Instruction Manuals:

B6: B6 Manual and setup sheets

B6D: B6D Manual and setup sheets

How to Sand and Seal carbon fiber:
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 2
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 3
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 4

Charts for Quick reference:

1) put inner bearing in hub
2) slide large shim over axle all the way up to the back of the axle
3) slide axle/bone into hub carrier
4) slide small shim onto axle through hub carrier
5) push outter bearing into hub carrier

using that i'm able to put my normal male silverback gorilla wheel nut tightening job and there's no binding. in the pictures that come with the shims (the pic socket posted) it seems like they want you to slide both shims onto the axle before sliding the axle into the hub carrier and like i said, that doesn't work.

I've traditionally done the diff screw head on the left side (driver's side), but have since switched to the Right side (passenger side) regardless of transmission type (3 gear RM vs 3 gear MM and 4 gear MM).

Kdub (Kurt Wenger, former AE designer) had this to say on the matter:

Originally Posted by kdub
I think I count as an authority on the matter. I always run my diff screw on the right side (when sitting "inside" the car). I take off the tire and pull the outer hinge pin to get to the adjustment screw.

The right rear is the way the AE manuals state (or used to state). It really shouldn't matter since you go around turns both left and right.
B6D 3-gear:

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 04:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I ordered the JConcepts swaggers to try also before gluing up the Schumacher ones to compares since I got 4 slim rims in the JConcepts pkg.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

We ran swaggers and pindowns at the Jconcepts 2nd annual turf nats. Ran it on the outdoor turf race and on the inside ozite to test a few things. Great tire for both applications
Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tylem28
So, I went to buy the B6D last week and all my local hobby stores where out. I ended up getting a b4.2 RTR as I wanted to race one that weekend. I went ahead and bought a new transmitter (DX4C), Motor / ESC combo (Castle SV3 4600kv), new servo (Savox 1257TG), and new tires / wheels. I replaced the front A-Arms with RPM and also the front bulkhead as well. I have two traxxas slash (one for stock class and one PROSCT)

Our 2 boys (9 and 6) love to race on Saturdays. I was thinking of putting the RC4.2 back to stock (also would swap out the Traxxas TX and RX from one of the slash's, this controller is smaller / easier for their hands and less functions to be moved / adjusted, any issues with putting this on a stock RC4.2?) Our oldest would race this in the novice class. Would this be a mistake for a 9 year old to run? Would we be replacing parts often?

I would then put the castle sv3 motor, esc, savox servo, DX4C TX / RX, on the B6D. I would use the wheels / tires I bought as well (I assume the hex style fits on the B6D as well? Other than the spur / pinon and paint for the body anything else I would need? I know I would need a battery (which style batteries do I need to get? square / shorty / Something else?

This would basically use up all the spare parts that I have laying around as well. Any concerns / challenges with doing this?
Can anyone help with this please. Thanks
Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

my 11 year old has been racing since she was 6. You will be replacing parts. The b4 is a weaker car for sure than the b5 or b6. the b4.2 hex wheels fit fine. the electronics should be fine. shorty battery for the b6d
Old 09-14-2016, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I do hope you got the RTR for a song! As for replacing parts, which you will be doing, before you get TOO far into it consider what your local hobby shop carries. You can pick up a used B5M for super cheap now as well. More than likely parts on your local track's wall are mostly for the 5 series, followed by 6 series.

If you're running the B4 then you might have to carry around extra parts so that your kid's race day doesn't end early.

Just a thought.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sell the b4 or keep if for playing around the house. Unload the Castle gear. Buy a b5m or b6d and get a Hobbywing xr10 Justock with a 17.5 motor. If your kid is driving turn down the timing on the motor and adjust the epa on the radio to a speed that he/she can control. My daughter has been racing since she was 7 with a b5m and has broken surprisingly few parts.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the help guys. I was wanting to use the new B6 for me to race and the B4.2 for my son to race. The 4.2 would be all stock parts except switching the TX/RX to the Traxxas Slash TX/RX. I have updated the front A - Arms and to RPM. I also have a set of rpm ball cups to replace as needed. I noticed a couple other buggies had large front bumpers, would this help protect the front a little more?

Anything else that I should beef up? Thanks!
Old 09-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Tech Prophet

Thanks for the help guys. I was wanting to use the new B6 for me to race and the B4.2 for my son to race. The 4.2 would be all stock parts except switching the TX/RX to the Traxxas Slash TX/RX. I have updated the front A - Arms and to RPM. I also have a set of rpm ball cups to replace as needed. I noticed a couple other buggies had large front bumpers, would this help protect the front a little more?

just slow it down to a speed he can handle
Old 09-14-2016, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The traxxas rx is not a great choice as you can not set the epa's as far as I know. I will stick with my other suggestion and say get a sensored 17.5 esc/motor combo. You will,already be able to turn down the timing on the motor and set the punch on the esc to soft setting. Hobbywing xr10 Justock are only $53 and you can get a Turnigy 17.5 new for about $40.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by afm223
The traxxas rx is not a great choice as you can not set the epa's as far as I know. I will stick with my other suggestion and say get a sensored 17.5 esc/motor combo. You will,already be able to turn down the timing on the motor and set the punch on the esc to soft setting. Hobbywing xr10 Justock are only $53 and you can get a Turnigy 17.5 new for about $40.
does that remote have a throttle Hi/low. That can be used also.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

No the TX only has a trim adjustment. I do have a spare Traxxas Titan 12 brushed motor (not sure if it fits or not) and XL5 ESC from the stock traxxas slash. I know that ESC I can put in training mode (50% power). Would that work or does the buggy need a brushless motor?
Old 09-14-2016, 01:58 PM
Tech Prophet

No the TX only has a trim adjustment. I do have a spare Traxxas Titan 12 brushed motor (not sure if it fits or not) and XL5 ESC from the stock traxxas slash. I know that ESC I can put in training mode (50% power). Would that work or does the buggy need a brushless motor?
that is a 550 motor, dont think it will fit. you could get a 540 brushed motor and use training mode.

something like this is cheap.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/reedy-r...sc9626/p142482
Old 09-14-2016, 03:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

With novice it's about staying on the track. Slower might be better. SMC batteries are great. Search the forums for your model or try the rookie section.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:55 PM
Tech Prophet

if you want to stay brushles....and i would....get a 17.5 and sensored esc and turn the timing down a little and dont gear it for top speed. it will be fine. The reedy motors come with the timing at 20deg, which is plenty slow. and you can increase timing as you need to
Old 09-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you have a Traxxas TQi transmitter, it has throttle and steering EPA, but it's ridiculously complicated to set. The Traxxas Link makes it 100x easier.

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...ual-120130.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.