Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread >

Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread

Like Tree42Likes

Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sirweasle
I found i had trouble with the bearings in the rear diff... Couldn't handle a 3s with only about 4 uses. Overheated, seized then melted the diff housing. Luckily there was no damage to the diff gears. Have you found an alloy upgrade yet?
The best way to help those bearings deal with the load/heat is to use a metal shielded inner bearing and a combo outer bearing with a metal inner shield and rubber outer shield. Pack the cavity between the two bearings with grease. Now when they heat up, they will have lube and be much happier.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I sent a brand-new rear axle to Dlux Fab to have the inner pinion bearing slot widened to hold a 5x13 bearing. You might want to do the same.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Tech Initiate

hey guys, semi new to the RC world and just got myself a baja rey. haven't had the chance to drive it yet since it's been uncharacteristically raining in socal for the last 24 hours. while i've been staring at the car i've been reading through here. learned a lot about the car and it's flaws, thank you! one question i have though is how exactly do you access the front and center diffs? i've gotten to the rear diff fine. gears were bone dry and i proactively ordered a set of boca bearings to swap out before i even drive this thing. the only 2 things i want to check are the gears for the center diff and the front diff. thanks!
Old 12-16-2016, 02:53 PM
Tech Rookie

I did a full bearing replacement recently and to get to the centre and front diff is a fairly extensive strip down process. If there was an obvious way to get to the diffs with minimal effort I couldn't see it!
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread-img_2073.jpg  
Old 12-16-2016, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

It's not a fast job, but I've worked on vehicles that were harder to service. Did you use the instructions I posted for removing the body and rollcage in one piece?
Old 12-18-2016, 02:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes - your rollcage tip was super helpful - much quicker!
Old 12-18-2016, 10:08 PM
Tech Champion

Glad to be of service.

In other news, my aluminum front shock tower and aluminum servo mount showed up today. The rest of the parts I ordered are still on backorder. Nice to see they have a gunmetal finish instead of bare aluminum as shown in the product photos; I'm not a big fan of bare aluminum except in places where it's just going to get gouged anyway.

Has anyone made aluminum shock bodies for the Baja Rey yet? I hate plastic shocks.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Tech Initiate

yes i saw your diagram for the screws needed to remove the body. got that all off. i was able to get to the center diff and i filled the fluid in there. i also replaced the bearings in the rear axle housing with boca bearings before i even ran the car
i started to tear into the front section to see if i could get to the front diff, but i couldn't see all that i needed to remove to access the diff. tbh, i can't even see how the diff opens.

so far my mods are: boca bearings in the rear axle housing, greased rear diff, 60k in center diff, 37.5wt in all 4 shocks (much better than stock. front is still a little soft. may go up to 40wt), and an aluminum steering horn. the steering horn made a huge difference in the steering. before the tires would barely turn on my floor at a stand still, now they turn full lock to lock on a hard surface without moving. i may replace the servo down the road, but i will probably just wait until the stock one craps out.
the esc is pretty jerky, but i noticed it got a lot smoother with the 60k oil in the center diff.
has anyone played around with different shocks? really not a fan of the plastic bodies.. i noticed one of my shocks was a little stiff to cycle through when i was changing the oil and i'm attributing that to a warped shock body.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

I replaced the ESC. Losi's ESCs always seem to chatter a lot on startup.

+1 on info about aluminum shocks. I can't believe Losi didn't add this to their upgrade parts list.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:13 AM
Tech Initiate

ProLine, are you listening?!?! SHOCKS PLEASE! Some King or Fox replicas would look pretty cool on these trucks.

@fyrstormer, how much preload are you running on your shocks front and rear? i've got the rear on mine pretty much backed all the way off, only in about 3 turns. the front i'm at 4.5 turns but it still seems to sit pretty low.

Last edited by novajustin; 12-29-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:44 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

https://youtu.be/wfKCwxtRza4

https://youtu.be/MoX-d7k5oEA
Old 12-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

New "Rock Rey" based on this platform:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ey-thread.html
Old 12-29-2016, 12:13 PM
Tech Initiate

this is good! better chances for more aftermarket parts!
Old 12-30-2016, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Are there any rear differential option for the baja rey at the moment?
Old 12-30-2016, 07:01 AM
Tech Champion

No, but you don't need one. Vehicles like this, with a solid rear axle and independent front suspension, don't work properly with unlocked rear diffs. I tried many times on my Yeti and the torque-steer was horrible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.