R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree9Likes

Old 08-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #106
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADWright View Post
I hope the aftermarket kicks in to help this thing out with it's weaknesses. ATM, wishing I had never bought. It's a fun truck, but the durability is just not there,at least for me.
If you're interested in selling it I'm in the market for one. I have a yeti score TT and just sold it to buy a baja rey
Expo_cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:32 PM   #107
Tech Rookie

New to this forum, but just sold my axial score TT and ready to buy a baja rey. Looking at one in person at a local shop they look WAY more sturdy and better built then the Score. So far I'm gathering the only issues are with the bearings and diffs not being oiled from the factory, any other concerns I should worry about off the bat? Oh and also replacing the stock servo horn with an aluminum one
Old 08-31-2016, 06:30 AM   #108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expo_cam View Post
New to this forum, but just sold my axial score TT and ready to buy a baja rey. Looking at one in person at a local shop they look WAY more sturdy and better built then the Score. So far I'm gathering the only issues are with the bearings and diffs not being oiled from the factory, any other concerns I should worry about off the bat? Oh and also replacing the stock servo horn with an aluminum one
Sounds about right. I haven't had a bearing issues yet. But the aluminum servo horn. That made big difference. Far more then I thought it would.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:08 AM   #109
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expo_cam View Post
If you're interested in selling it I'm in the market for one. I have a yeti score TT and just sold it to buy a baja rey
I'll keep that in mind.

Mine is down again. Still having front ring/pinion probs. Tried to shim the pinion for more depth to tighten the back lash and hopefully keep it from skipping teeth. Worked for about 6 laps and and started skipping again. Was frustrated and just kept on driving until a crooked landing on a big hit took out the servo. On first look, thought the servo mount was broken but actually broke the mounting ears off of the servo case...a HiTec metal gear servo! Not happy!

I admit to being harder on my stuff than most. Parts coming today for my Tekno so the Losi will be sitting for a while.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:48 AM   #110
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADWright View Post
I'll keep that in mind.

Mine is down again. Still having front ring/pinion probs. Tried to shim the pinion for more depth to tighten the back lash and hopefully keep it from skipping teeth. Worked for about 6 laps and and started skipping again. Was frustrated and just kept on driving until a crooked landing on a big hit took out the servo. On first look, thought the servo mount was broken but actually broke the mounting ears off of the servo case...a HiTec metal gear servo! Not happy!

I admit to being harder on my stuff than most. Parts coming today for my Tekno so the Losi will be sitting for a while.
I'm looking to buy one soon so let me know.

I'm curious if the yeti score servo will work in the Losi? I have another score that's got a bad ESC so if I got a baja rey and swapped out the servo for that one, I'm guessing it would be better than the stock baja rey servo?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:42 AM   #111
Tech Elite

You must really beat the hell out of your Baja Rey. Even taking "flying dismounts" with my rock crawler I've never broken the ears off a Hitec servo. I'm going to have to chalk-up your other parts failures to operating the vehicle well outside the envelope of intended use.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:17 AM   #112
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
You must really beat the hell out of your Baja Rey. Even taking "flying dismounts" with my rock crawler I've never broken the ears off a Hitec servo. I'm going to have to chalk-up your other parts failures to operating the vehicle well outside the envelope of intended use.
Intended use? Who's? I thought the intened use was fun/entertainment? Takes a little more than driving around in the grass or jumping off a curb for me.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:09 PM   #113
Tech Elite

"Intended use" means what the designers were thinking would be done with it. "Expected use" is what you, the consumer, are thinking of doing with it. Speaking as an engineer, those are two very different things. You can do whatever you want with it of course, just know you're pushing it way past its design limits, hence all the breakages.

- - -

Pro-Line F-11 beadlock wheels with "ProTrac" offset were installed today:

Same track-width as the stock wheels, but significantly stronger:

To make the stock tires fit, I had to cut the radial ribs close to the outer bead, as shown below; Pro-Line tires already have this modification from the factory, but I like the stock tires on this truck:

So, why beadlocks? One, I hate gluing truck tires because the beads always break loose; two, beadlocks look cool; three, beadlocks make it easy to experiment with other tires in the future, such as HPI's Maxxis Trepador tires which might be made of a hard-enough compound to work well on this truck; and four, they put about 3oz of extra weight close to the ground where it should help stabilize the truck and reduce runaway diffing-out of the center diff.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #114
Tech Fanatic

Ok so all of you that have this truck??
Is it worth it and is it as durable as the Yeti ??
I have the Yeti and it has taken a beating better then any other rc i have had over 20 plus years.
monsterbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #115
Tech Rookie

Just bought one yesterday and also bought the TLR aluminum servo horn and some 10 k silicone oil for the diffs according to you guys that's some things to be done right away, also I guess get some grease for the gears I was reading? Can't wait to run it
Old 09-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #116
Tech Fanatic

I have the Yeti
So I am looking at this truck thinking about letting go of something to help buy.
Just not sure what I want to un load..
I like what I have read and seen on youtube so far though..
Old 09-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #117
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbrad View Post
I have the Yeti
So I am looking at this truck thinking about letting go of something to help buy.
Just not sure what I want to un load..
I like what I have read and seen on youtube so far though..
I can't speak for the Yeti. Still haven't seen one run, or even out of the box. Seen few of the XL but never running.
I've been completely suprised by it. Had no idea what to expect. Had never seen or driven solid axle before. After a bad first run, I got mine too wet, it's been solid. It's not best jumper, but it jumps. Plenty fast on 2s that I haven't felt need to jump to 3s.
Actually now wish there was a 1/8 scale version. That could handle the grass better. It's still early. Only been 2 months. But overall I'd say most owners like it.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:53 PM   #118
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbrad View Post
Ok so all of you that have this truck??
Is it worth it and is it as durable as the Yeti ??
I have the Yeti and it has taken a beating better then any other rc i have had over 20 plus years.
The diff pinion bearings are weak, hopefully that will be fixed soon, and the gearbox and diff gears need to be greased immediately, but other than that I've had no problems with mine. It handles much better than the Yeti, which is what I care about because I drive my cars on the ground.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:51 AM   #119
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
The diff pinion bearings are weak, hopefully that will be fixed soon, and the gearbox and diff gears need to be greased immediately, but other than that I've had no problems with mine. It handles much better than the Yeti, which is what I care about because I drive my cars on the ground.
What would you suggest using to grease the diff gears and gearbox?
Old 09-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #120
Tech Fanatic

I have been using thick bearing grease for 20 years on steel gears.
load it on there and let the gears throw it off.
Wheel bearing grease for boats is nice and thick.
I use old oring grease from the tool and die trade that is super sticky.
Its saved a ton of hassle over the years