Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree42Likes

Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah, mine makes a fair amount of gear noise. Gear noise is inevitable with Mod 1 gear teetth.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

https://youtu.be/FTCjNCuJFIQ

Starting with small jumps.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:26 PM
Tech Prophet

More practice. Honk I'm getting better.

https://youtu.be/F7N_RCt8GcI
Old 08-17-2016, 06:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to RC trucks

Original thread is in the n00b forum, they pointed me here

Hello, I am new to RC trucks always wanted one and finally got one. I would like to know, that when I want to upgrade parts, how do I know what I want will work with the vehicle I have. I purchased the Losi Baja Rey, and already broke a shock, and something is wrong with the servo.

If I am going to buy new, I would like to buy a little better quality, but since I am new to the game, I am not sure what I can and cannot upgrade. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Good servo brands: Hitec, Futaba, Savox

Replace the plastic servo horn with an aluminum one from Team Losi Racing. Make sure the spline count on the aluminum servo horn matches the hub on your upgraded servo; there are 23, 24, and 25 spline hubs.

If there's something wrong with one of the shocks already, call Horizon tech support.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:48 AM
Tech Rookie

I bent the shaft of the shock, most likely from ramming into things....still learning how to drive :-)

So technically nothing wrong with it out of the box, it was user error. So will I need to use the same shocks, or are there better replacements out there for shocks also?
Old 08-18-2016, 04:05 AM
Tech Champion

You can probably find other shocks of the same length, but stock replacements are the easiest way to go. I don't think anyone has upgrades specifically for the Baja Rey yet.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. Oh and also thank you very much for the pics about taking the body and roll cage off as one, wish I found it before I took the car apart :-)
Old 08-18-2016, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Feel free to share the picture wherever you think it might be useful. The more owners who know, the better.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

I ran my Baja Rey for the first time in a couple weeks, and about halfway through it started to make unpleasant noises while braking. A quick inspection revealed the rear diff pinion shaft was wobbly, but I didn't feel like going inside so I just let the truck deal with it until the battery ran down. I opened the rear diff case, and the gears are fine, but the inner pinion bearing is completely shot -- and I do mean COMPLETELY shot. The balls weren't even inside the bearing anymore. Fortunately they were ejected into the space between the inner and outer bearings, instead of being ejected into the diff case. The 5x10 bearings used on the diff pinion shaft are way too small for the load the motor can apply to the diff. I'll swap in some Boca Yellow Seal ceramic bearings and see how they hold up -- I've never had one of those bearings fail in any size -- but I suspect the long-term solution is going to involve an aftermarket diff cover with accommodation for larger pinion bearings. I sure hope someone makes one.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I agree. i dont need a full metal axle housing i just want a upgraded front cover that runs bigger bearing or something that can handle the heat of me running a 3s. So far with truck the only problems i seem to be having are the diffs. As for after market shocks i have a seeking suspension that maybe just maybe the aluminum shocks from the vaterra halix/rally may work
Old 08-27-2016, 07:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I hope the aftermarket kicks in to help this thing out with it's weaknesses. ATM, wishing I had never bought. It's a fun truck, but the durability is just not there,at least for me.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by DEADWright
I hope the aftermarket kicks in to help this thing out with it's weaknesses. ATM, wishing I had never bought. It's a fun truck, but the durability is just not there,at least for me.
What problems are you having? Gonna be long wait for aftermarket. Usually 6-9 months.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DEADWright
This is the only problem I've had, except for the gears needing to be greased right out of the box. I even had a freak accident where I ran off a curb and the chassis bottomed-out just in time to catch the seam between the concrete gutter and the asphalt, bringing the truck to a stop instantly. Aside from a gouged front skid, there was no damage to the chassis.

I think there's something about a vehicle that's clearly designed for bashing that inspires people to really beat the living hell out of it and be disappointed if anything goes wrong. People seem to be more careful with vehicles that are designed to be raced, even if they have no intention of ever racing them.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:29 PM
Tech Champion

Time to show off a couple mods I made:

1) I bought some extra bump-stops, cut one in half, and added each half to the rear shocks to increase the stock bump-stops' height by 50%. This helps keep the rear frame of the rollcage from smacking against the axle housing.

2) I bought a set of Traxxas 49mm camber links (part number 3643) to make adjustable steering links, then I added a bit of toe-out. The truck is more stable now, and easier to recover when it starts to traction-roll. I also bought a set of Dubro 3mm washers to use as shims to take up the extra space around the steering link ball-ends attached to the steering knuckles, because the ball-ends are not the same height as stock. They work fine once shimmed snug, though.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 03-29-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.