R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #286
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Hello everyone - new to this thread, but not RC. I should be getting my Baja Rey this week and pretty stoked! I've read through the entire post on the Baja Rey here and have already ordered a new servo, glitch buster. I was curious if anyone with the time and experience with this truck would be posting a complete set-up and modifications guide? I know when I had my Slash 4x4 the "Slayden" set up guide was very useful to getting the truck dialed in. I also like some of the stage 1-3 upgrade guides that Axial does. Anyway, can't wait to get my hands on this thing and shake her down!
Good to read that more getting truck. Seemed to be seeking decent then slowed.
Can't say I've ever heard of the "Slayden" set up thing. Most common issues so far have been. Center diff/front diff not filled correctly. I haven't touched front yet, center was only about 1/2 filled. Rear pinion bearing, running 3s seems to cause an issue. Haven't hsd it. Just got around to trying 3s, I liked the truck on 2s. And careful getting wet. Receiver in bad spot. Plus it's open, not in sealed housing. I've had mine shutdown. Or kick on and off and on and off from water.
Otherwise most seem to like truck. Even in stock form.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #287
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Good to read that more getting truck. Seemed to be seeking decent then slowed.
Can't say I've ever heard of the "Slayden" set up thing. Most common issues so far have been. Center diff/front diff not filled correctly. I haven't touched front yet, center was only about 1/2 filled. Rear pinion bearing, running 3s seems to cause an issue. Haven't hsd it. Just got around to trying 3s, I liked the truck on 2s. And careful getting wet. Receiver in bad spot. Plus it's open, not in sealed housing. I've had mine shutdown. Or kick on and off and on and off from water.
Otherwise most seem to like truck. Even in stock form.
Thanks for the info. It sounds like a lot of people are running a full blown water proof grease in the diffs, and silicone in the center diff from what i've read here. I already ordered a glitch buster and hi-torque servo also as that seemed to be another weakness. It was between this and the Axial Score and from everything I read, the Losi was better out of the box. Hoping I made the right choice! As far as the Slayden set sup, he was/is a Traxxas guy that campaigned the Slash 4x4 heavily. He did an awesome step by step, staged upgrade and tuning guide that was extremely helpful in getting the truck dialed. Not sure if there will end up being a race series for these "trophy type trucks" or not, but it would be cool. Tends to help drive a lot of aftermarket stuff
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #288
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for the info. It sounds like a lot of people are running a full blown water proof grease in the diffs, and silicone in the center diff from what i've read here. I already ordered a glitch buster and hi-torque servo also as that seemed to be another weakness. It was between this and the Axial Score and from everything I read, the Losi was better out of the box. Hoping I made the right choice! As far as the Slayden set sup, he was/is a Traxxas guy that campaigned the Slash 4x4 heavily. He did an awesome step by step, staged upgrade and tuning guide that was extremely helpful in getting the truck dialed. Not sure if there will end up being a race series for these "trophy type trucks" or not, but it would be cool. Tends to help drive a lot of aftermarket stuff
Ok. By time I got into hobby the Slash and racing had gone seperate directions. I know one owner here gave it a try, just to see how it would do against the standard 4x4. As for getting dialed in. The surfaces I run on are always changing. Never really same for long. Never been to s track. So can't really say
As for an actual class. Well maybe a track might. If it had enuff owners. But more then that. Well I just can't see it. Same for the aftermarket. I'm not expecting much.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #289
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
So anyway I put new tires on my Baja Rey yesterday. Note the matching spare tire.

i love this look. what tires are those?
novajustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #290
Tech Elite

Pro-Line BFG Baja KR2s.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #291
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Pro-Line BFG Baja KR2s.
Can you tell me what wheels they are?
skeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #292
Tech Apprentice

Is there a consensus on diff and shock oil weights that make a good initial setup?
skeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #293
Tech Rookie

Stoked! Got the truck today. Took it for a quick rip straight outta the box on 2S. I was pretty impressed overall. Dicked around a bit with the AVC dial on the RTR remote. I'll definitely be picking up a new transmitter - probably the DX4C. I'm reluctant to run 3s through it until I do the Fast Eddy bearing upgrade. I did lube up the rear diff real well prior to the first run, but anticipation got the best of me before I could do the center and front. It looks like a lot of digging to get to them! I used Phil Wood waterproof grease on the rear diff, and plan on the same for the front. Any recommendations on the center diff? Sounds like a silicone lube is best? Also - any "gotchas" I should be looking out for when tearing down to get to the center and front diffs?
Old 01-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #294
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeler View Post
Is there a consensus on diff and shock oil weights that make a good initial setup?
Leave the shocks alone. For the diffs, 30k in the middle and grease in the front. Make sure to wash the silicone crap off the ring and pinion gears and regrease them with proper grease.

The wheels are Pro-Line F-11 ProTrac beadlocks.

Fast Eddy bearings aren't an upgrade. They're just generic cheap bearings.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:09 AM   #295
Tech Rookie

@fyrstormer - what bearings do you recommend? Everything I've been reading on forums says the FastEddies cure the bearing issues this RTR suffers from.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #296
Tech Elite

Quote:
@fyrstormer - what bearings do you recommend? Everything I've been reading on forums says the FastEddies cure the bearing issues this RTR suffers from.
Can't say I've read that either. Easy way to avoid the problem seems to be just stay on 2s. It's 3s that causing the bearing failure.
He's got a custom 1 of a kind on his now. From post #203

Old 01-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #297
Tech Rookie

I saw that Dlux Fab mod earlier in the post - pretty sweet. I've also been checking out the Metal Concepts 3rd member truss kit. They are taking pre-orders now and it comes with the bearings. I did fab up some metal side panels last night that I think turned out pretty cool. Bit more of a scale look which i'm going for on this truck. I also ordered some other scale goods - fire extinguishers, jack, window nets, mud-flaps and some Axial exhaust tips from the Trophy. I should be getting my RC GEARHEAD LED light bars this week too! Yeehaw!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #298
Tech Elite

Quote:
I saw that Dlux Fab mod earlier in the post - pretty sweet. I've also been checking out the Metal Concepts 3rd member truss kit. They are taking pre-orders now and it comes with the bearings. I did fab up some metal side panels last night that I think turned out pretty cool. Bit more of a scale look which i'm going for on this truck. I also ordered some other scale goods - fire extinguishers, jack, window nets, mud-flaps and some Axial exhaust tips from the Trophy. I should be getting my RC GEARHEAD LED light bars this week too! Yeehaw!
That will be intersting to see how the metal panels work. Or will they effect it with the added weight.
I've had no rear bearing issue. But I've stayed mostly on 2s. I've never gotten into the the scale look stuff. Just never saw point. But they do look good when done right.
Not familiar with Metal concepts. Have to look into them.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #299
Tech Rookie

I haven't had any issues since shimming and replacing with Boca Yellow bearings... but the metal concepts truss looks cool... have got on pre-order.
RCUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #300
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
I haven't had any issues since shimming and replacing with Boca Yellow bearings... but the metal concepts truss looks cool... have got on pre-order.
Ok. I just looked into that Metal concepts. Might be willing to give that a try. Price seems reasonable.

Ok so picture is just prototype. But I like how it should look. When you pre ordered, did you get any idea of when it would be avaliable? I'm right on edge of ordering. But really dont want to find out part won't be out for few months.

Decided last to take chance. I went ahead and pre ordered from Metal Concepts.

Last edited by Billy Kelly; 01-20-2017 at 06:55 AM.