R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2017, 05:08 AM   #271
Tech Master
 
fyrstormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maryland, Near DC, USA
Posts: 1,939
Default

You can also build your own glitch buster with a spare piece of servo wiring and an electrolytic capacitor from Radio Shack. You can get some really big electrolytic capacitors there, for extra glitch-busting power. Just make sure the capacitor is rated for at least 16V.

Yeah, there's no way the Baja Rey could hold its own against a field of race-tuned short course trucks. 4-wheel independent suspension is just too much of an advantage. That being said, the Baja Rey is probably the first Class 1 trophy truck actually capable of racing at all, thanks to its lower CG and center diff; I'd like to see a few of those run laps around some Yeti TTs on a racetrack somewhere.
__________________
Check out Fyrstormer's Garage in the Chat Lounge.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #272
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 33
Default

i went back and took a look at everything again. the cheapo aluminum steering horn that i bought (instead of just ordering up a tlr horn) stripped out where the steering bolts to it. so i ordered up a tlr steering horn, which is an awesome little piece of machined aluminum, and bolted that all on. now my steering is tight, but the servo still loses power if i'm just turning the wheels on the ground. it starts off strong then dies off. is this a power issue or is the savox 1258 just not strong enough? once driving it's totally fine and the steering is very quick and responsive.
novajustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #273
Tech Rookie
 
Fordboi415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 17
Default

Anyone know where to get replacment set screws that hold the driveshaft to the pinion and trans?? I lost one and dont want to buy an entire driveshaft just to get a couple replacement screws!
Fordboi415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:19 AM   #274
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordboi415 View Post
Anyone know where to get replacment set screws that hold the driveshaft to the pinion and trans?? I lost one and dont want to buy an entire driveshaft just to get a couple replacement screws!
1 x #VTR246001 - Vaterra Glamis Screw Pin Clip Post (10) - something like this?
RCUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:26 AM   #275
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 18
Default Ouch! Rear Upper Link

Why is the rear all over the place under acceleration... oh yeah. That won't help. Will replace stock and check out the aluminium upgrades when available i guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread-img_7330.jpg  
RCUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:38 AM   #276
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 1,913
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
Why is the rear all over the place under acceleration... oh yeah. That won't help. Will replace stock and check out the aluminium upgrades when available i guess.
Had the same thing. Only left side. Have no idea how it bent.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:22 AM   #277
Tech Rookie
 
Fordboi415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
1 x #VTR246001 - Vaterra Glamis Screw Pin Clip Post (10) - something like this?
Yea thats what im looking for but im unsure of the size so i guess ill have to stop by my lhs and see if they can match one up before i buy a bunch in different sizes lol...
Fordboi415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:24 AM   #278
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordboi415 View Post
Yea thats what im looking for but im unsure of the size so i guess ill have to stop by my lhs and see if they can match one up before i buy a bunch in different sizes lol...
I'm using that part number in my Baja Rey - those pins fit, no problems.
RCUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #279
Tech Rookie
 
Fordboi415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
I'm using that part number in my Baja Rey - those pins fit, no problems.
Sweet thanks man!! Ill have to see if my lhs has any..
Fordboi415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #280
Tech Master
 
fyrstormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maryland, Near DC, USA
Posts: 1,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novajustin View Post
i went back and took a look at everything again. the cheapo aluminum steering horn that i bought (instead of just ordering up a tlr horn) stripped out where the steering bolts to it. so i ordered up a tlr steering horn, which is an awesome little piece of machined aluminum, and bolted that all on. now my steering is tight, but the servo still loses power if i'm just turning the wheels on the ground. it starts off strong then dies off. is this a power issue or is the savox 1258 just not strong enough? once driving it's totally fine and the steering is very quick and responsive.
Dry-steering is always hardest on the steering system. Ever try steering a real car without power steering? You'll notice the same thing.

Check if the servo-saver is opening up when you dry-steer the truck. That might explain it.
__________________
Check out Fyrstormer's Garage in the Chat Lounge.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #281
Tech Master
 
fyrstormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maryland, Near DC, USA
Posts: 1,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Had the same thing. Only left side. Have no idea how it bent.
The uppers have the job of resisting side-to-side movement of the axle. Simply landing a jump while cornering can be enough to bend one of the uppers if you do it wrong.

I replaced mine with Traxxas turnbuckles. I need to get some Jato ball-ends though, because the normal ball-ends aren't quite long enough and there's a bunch of threaded area exposed.
__________________
Check out Fyrstormer's Garage in the Chat Lounge.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 01-15-2017 at 06:50 PM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #282
Tech Master
 
fyrstormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maryland, Near DC, USA
Posts: 1,939
Default

So anyway I put new tires on my Baja Rey yesterday. Note the matching spare tire.

__________________
Check out Fyrstormer's Garage in the Chat Lounge.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #283
Tech Rookie
 
Fordboi415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
So anyway I put new tires on my Baja Rey yesterday. Note the matching spare tire.

Looks good, i ended up going with Axials version of the BFG Baja t/a.. Im really curious and I want to get a Proline Raptor body for the yeti score and cut the front clip off to see if i can mount it to Baja rey.. there was a guy that used a slash toyota front clip on a BR posted on IG and it lined up nicely.. Anyone else try it yet??
Fordboi415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #284
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 1,913
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
The uppers have the job of resisting side-to-side movement of the axle. Simply landing a jump while cornering can be enough to bend one of the uppers if you do it wrong.

I replaced mine with Traxxas turnbuckles. I need to get some Jato ball-ends though, because the normal ball-ends aren't quite long enough and there's a bunch of threaded area exposed.
Ok. I can see that with some of my landings. Have to see if happens again. What traxxas part did you use? Can't picture anything that size.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:04 AM   #285
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Hello everyone - new to this thread, but not RC. I should be getting my Baja Rey this week and pretty stoked! I've read through the entire post on the Baja Rey here and have already ordered a new servo, glitch buster. I was curious if anyone with the time and experience with this truck would be posting a complete set-up and modifications guide? I know when I had my Slash 4x4 the "Slayden" set up guide was very useful to getting the truck dialed in. I also like some of the stage 1-3 upgrade guides that Axial does. Anyway, can't wait to get my hands on this thing and shake her down!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:06 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net