Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread >

Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread

Like Tree42Likes

Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 06:25 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Snowmando
I kinda feel like I should be a tester for rc off road cars as I seem to very good at putting durability to the test. Firstly I have to say I love how the Baja Rey handles. Best off road car I have ever driven. Unfortunately I am having issues with durability. I understand that jumping and bashing any car is going to potentially break it but that is not the problem I am talking about. I am simply talking about the constant thrashing at a wet and grassy park power drifting as it was intended. I did buy a display model of this car but it looked virtually brand new. After only about eight 3S battery runs the centre gearbox was slipping and needed the gears fixed. I have just received it back and on the fourth 3S battery run the rear diff is now slipping like they are stripped. I do love to drive this car but am starting to question whether it is durable enough for continuous fun without having to fix it on a continuous basis. Have many other people had these sort of issues? And no I haven't had to replace any other broken parts as yet.
The stock plastic rear diff housing won't hold up on 3s. Even 2s will eventually cause it to fail. Here's what mine looked like. I'm using the Metal Concepts housing now.

https://youtu.be/DAMjAkY2IzI
Old 08-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Sammy built
I love the look of this Trophy truck. But Losi has a seroius issue with the rear diff. This is my second attempt to repair the weak link. Some are saying its a diff bearing. But I believe the 3rd member diff case should be made from aluminun and shimmed properly. The gear mesh is sloppy from stock. Its Sad to spend this money and not able to overcome such an issue. Anyone having samilar issues. Its lasting me about 7-8 battery cycles on 2 cell before it blows.
go to metal concepts and replace the 3rd member with their aluminium one. I have done this recently as it was mentioned by another member. All good so far!
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Shocker upgrades

Thanks for that, I end up buying that metal concepts third member. All good so far.
I am pretty impressed overall with the handling of the Baja Rey bit think an upgrade of the shockers could make it even better and handle jumps a little better too. What would be the best alloy shocker upgrade out there? I couldn't find a definite answer.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Snowmando
Thanks for that, I end up buying that metal concepts third member. All good so far.
I am pretty impressed overall with the handling of the Baja Rey bit think an upgrade of the shockers could make it even better and handle jumps a little better too. What would be the best alloy shocker upgrade out there? I couldn't find a definite answer.
Proline Power-stroke Slash Rears up front and Yeti Rears in the back.
I'm not sure if they perform better per-say, but they're definitely more robust and WAY better at actually sealing in shock oil. The dinky single seal plastic bodies on the stock are just blah.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

A little project post. Got some stuff worked on in the past few days I figured I'd post in here.

My MCI decals came and I got those set up. Includes the dash elements, number plates, extinguisher labels, and labels for the fake reservoirs. The new fake reservoirs are much more realistic looking than my old set, which were just cut down metal tubes.

I also got my live FPV setup together. I used a plastic bracket I made that tabs in between the cage and the fake radiator, holding the setup together well. The camera and roof plate are lined with heavy duty velcro, allowing me to use lots of positions.

My area I live in is bad for signal noise, but I've used it in other spots to good effect. Just need to get a memory card for the mini DVR.
My Yi cam obviously has a better picture quality but it is too big to mount in many positions, and is awkward to get in/out of the vehicle.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

New running video up. I was using the high FPS camera so the visual fidelity is iffy. The new FPV camera works really well, although it is difficult to drive that way... Weather could have been better, rain delayed me quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYeyOuSDa00
Old 10-19-2017, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)

Don't ask about the garage, but this BOMBSHELLS Monster Rey is sure to please.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)

All hand cut graphics with under mount graphics. Yes the stickers are on the inside!

Paint by RC Bombshells. #rcbombshells #Redbull #losibajareyredbull

Old 10-28-2017, 09:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just got my build featured on RC Hub, feels good man
https://rchub.com/fan-friday-feature...-by-pat-samson
Old 01-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Hey guys, so I picked up a barely used Baja Rey (looks new) and was looking into getting the metal concepts 3rd member upgrade but I see they have one for the "old" and a "new" version of the Baja Rey. How can I tell which is which? This truck looks new but it could have been sitting on a shelf somewhere before it made its way to me.

Edit** NVM I found the difference in the axles.

TIA,
MUD

Last edited by iluvmud; 01-30-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Any chance the pics of the 12 screws to get the cage off are available somewhere else? Not showing up now, and I'd love the quick way to get the cage off...
Old 03-25-2018, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by animigan
Any chance the pics of the 12 screws to get the cage off are available somewhere else? Not showing up now, and I'd love the quick way to get the cage off...
Fixed.
animigan likes this.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok, this is going to be pretty dumb, but here goes.

I just installed the RC4WD rear axle on my Baja Rey. Easy. Made sure the diff was oriented properly (in fact it only fits one direction because of the design of the housing). Now front and rear wheels are spinning opposite direction.

Am I insane? When I saw it first I Iaughed at my stupidity for having the diff flipped the wrong way, but when I took it apart again I saw it was oriented like in the stock housing and that's when I found that the design that makes sure I can't flip it the wrong way. What else could cause this? I don't see how it's possible for me to have this in the wrong orientation...

If it helps, I had the whole front end apart as well to change the steering bellcrank set, servo arm, bumper etc but I didn't touch the front diff at all.

Last edited by animigan; 04-11-2018 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Is the center chunk mounted upside down in the axle?
Old 04-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JDM74
Is the center chunk mounted upside down in the axle?
Not sure what the "center chunk" is. If that's the diff gear construct then it's mounted like in the stock axle. Much like the stock axle, the design prevents you from accidentally putting it in the wrong way...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.